Must I leave a review for a guest?

Frances52
Level 5
Robertsbridge, United Kingdom

Must I leave a review for a guest?

I've searched high and low but can't seem to find an answer to the question -- must I leave a review for a guest?

We have a holiday let and guests check in themselves. I recently had a guest and her group who were not very communicative (which I appreciate as some people would like to keep to themselves).

They checked in on Friday and I did not hear back from them to my message asking if everything was okay and to their liking. On Sunday (day of check out) I got a phone call that they wanted to check out late as one of the guests was ill and had to go see a doctor. I said 'no problem' as there was no check in or cleaning scheduled. On Sunday evening, she texted to say her group had enjoyed their stay. I wrote back to thank her and to ask if the guest who was ill was feeling better but she did not reply.

On Tuesday, I went to clean and do changeover and the place was a bit of a mess -- chocolate cake left out on counter, choc cake crumbs on floor, board games stacked willy nilly and not put back in their boxes, conservatory blinds down or half way down or pulled back up any which way and so on. The 5-bar gate to the garden was left open.

Our house rules ask that guests take the trash out to the main council bins located on the driveway. (There's also a sign over the bins in the house.) I could see that someone had dragged one of the bins from the driveway to outside the main front door and filled it. Inside the house, it looked like someone was going to clean up but had changed their mind -- half full trash bag left in the kitchen, and as I mentioned, choc cake on counter, that sort of thing.

Also, a spare front door key was missing. I texted to ask if the guest or one of her group had forgotten to leave it back. She wrote back and said, I was just about to let you know that my friend accidently took the key and a towel home with her, and asked if she could send it back. I told her to just send the key (I figured it's easy/more convenient and higher chance I'll get it back, than for her to have to deal with posting a package.) She didn't reply. 

To be honest, this group isn't the worse -- I've experienced worse with puke left on bed linen, beer cans and whisky bottles strewn about the house etc -- but I'm not really comfortable leaving a review. If it's not a sterling review, I always feel bad leaving a bad one. Who knows? Benefit of the doubt -- maybe things got panicky after the friend got ill, maybe she's just not great at replies...? 

Is it possible to avoid reviewing a guest all together? 

23 Replies 23
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

As a host I appreciate that other hosts take the time and effort to leave honest reviews, @Frances52.  I don't understand your hesitation unless you are having difficulty crafting a review you are happy with.  I have seen hosts post a review draft to get other host input if you think that would help.

Frances52
Level 5

Thank you. I guess I'm just a mushy sort and wanted to give the guest the benefit of the doubt.

I had a similar situation recently and I know exactly what you're saying... it's really hard leaving a bad review when you're used to giving better ones for great guests. I've been torn on what to do, but at the same time, I'm bothered that this guest was so terrible & that she came recommended. I really don't want other hosts to experience what I did without being forewarned. It would be one thing if the issues were kindly resolved, but they weren't, this guest got really nasty. And that's not fair to let her go off and be like this with other hosts.

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

For the sake of other hosts, do leave bad reviews as well, @Frances52. There is no other way to warn other hosts and also to correct such guests' behaviour. 

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Frances52
Level 5

Thank you. I will

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

As you describe the place it didn't seem so bad it looks like you had young kids witch there mom always took care of them,now the point here always leave a review it makes you look good,as far as the place count your blessing nothing was broken or damage,now in the private feed back tell them how to be a better guest in a nice manner good luck 

Frances52
Level 5

Thanks!

I don't always leave reviews; if a guest created an incident or i know is problematic; same would also be very defensive and blame you first! I have seen this behaviour already and would rather not initiate a review, I know if I do a review that doesn't even mention the incident, guests will likely do a review with their spin on it to protect themself - in your case the mess;if they are aware they did something wrong; yet the worse the incident is they caused (possibly involving damages), the more defensive they'll get on you; probably would even contact airbnb to side with them. I say avoid it all together. airbnb will likely refund them for their sad experience and getting sick on your property!

@Frances52

Please leave an honest review. As a fellow host, I would like to know if I might be letting a total slob with no manners in my home. Cake left out on the counter? Board games not properly put away? Gate to the garden left open? And a trash bag like the way you explained left in the middle of the kitchen? Missing key and towel? - Sure, individually these things might be small and some people might say "oh~ it's the dirty side of hosting so suck it up" but I disagree. Small things add up and one's actions are representative of the type of person they are. 

IMO, those guests don't deserve the benefit of your doubt. It's not about the best or worst - it's about the guests being decent humans. 

Frances52
Level 5

Thanks for the prep talk 🙂

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Frances52 Yes, please say these things. This is the purpose of reviews. Examples of reviews I have written.

“cleanliness could have been worse but could have been better”

”communication was slower than most abb guests”

”guests had a member of their party take ill so perhaps that impacted their ability to communicate or tidy up properly”

I wouldn’t write a review until I received (or not) the key back. That’s a big deal. 

Frances52
Level 5

Thanks. That's true. I'll wait a few days more to see if they key comes back. Thank you for your helpful suggestions on how to write a review that doesn't sound like I'm just being overly critical 🙂

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@Frances52 Why on earth would you NOT want to review this guest? Don’t you think other hosts should be warned of their behavior??

Frances52
Level 5

I wasn't sure. I didn't want to sound overly critical. I mean, I don't expect the place to be completely spick and span... plus she had good reviews before so maybe this was a hiccup? But I guess I ought to. As suggested, I should wait a few days and see if the key comes back. That would really change my opinion. Still, I don't seem to have an answer to the question whether or not it's compulsory to leave a review -- be it whether the guest has been excellent or not. Do you happen to know?