Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Must-have items for in the kitchen?

Must-have items in the kitchen.png

Hello everyone,

I hope you're all well.

Recently, we had a topic about must-have items for in the bathroom. Today, I thought it would be great to ask you which items are a must in the kitchen for your guests? What are standard utensils that you offer? Perhaps you think that providing at least some cutlery and plates is a must but that's it, or maybe you provide all the kitchen utensils they could possibly need?

Feel free to share your experiences and any tips and tricks :-).

I look forward to seeing your replies!

Quincy

In case you missed it: 'Must-have items for in the bathroom

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

55 Replies 55

A wine bottle opener is a must-have even without a kitchen, especially if you entertain European guests.

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

I have basically everything 

1) coffee maker

2)microwave

3)toaster

4)blender and so on 

gas stove and refrigerator 

what the guest love the most is when refrigerator fully stock 

dont take my word just look at the review 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Edwin57,

It's great to see you around!

I was just wondering what you leave in the fridge for your guests? 

-----

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

Water,several types of juice,wine,breakfast goods like  waffles,chicken nugget,,chicken pot pies,beef pot pies ,pluse coffee creamers pluse other stuff like soup,coffee and so on I want my guest to feel good if ever in Brooklyn just come my way and you will see 

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Quincy,  In April 2016 I stayed in two Airbnb apartments, one in Buenos Aires, Argentina and another in Santiago City, in Chile.
What I learned from that experience it was that, the kitchen must have some basic ingredients to ease the guest stay and avoid waste.  In one of the apartments, there was available in the kitchen salt, suggar, coffe and other basic ingredients.
From then on, I always supply the kitchens with basic ingredients.
I have 3 listing in the Airbnb, and all of them are basically equipped, being one of them a very compact kitchen.
Another thing I have to say is, being my apartments located in lively areas, with everything around, many guests barely use the kitchen. There are lots of fast food shops and restaurants around. Most of them use the kitchen only to have breakfast or maybe coffee or tee.
Anyway, some guests really like cooking, usually when their stay is about 28 days or more.
As for the equippments, in the kitchen there are stove, oven, coffemaker, toaster and electric kettle. Recently, a guest have suggested that a mixer would not do any harm to the guests ! 🙂
Being the kitchens quite basic, there are few pans but I think it is enough. Certainly the kitchens are not suitable for a MasterChef, but anyone can prepare some common meal.
As for details, I think it is important to have availble corkscrews, bottle opener and can opener.

Very interesisting topic!

@Quincy

Only one of my guests ever used the kitchen to cook and the most complicated thing she cooked was pasta 🙂 Although we have most utensils and tools and appliances that any full KOREAN kitchen would have, Henry and I rarely cook because Seoul has so many great take out/delivery options.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

As I offer my second homes I offer quite a lot - too much to mention I think.

But I can share what cooking utensils/basics I like to find when travelling; much of it the content of my picnic basket that I take along when driving to our destinations. 

Sharp knives and chopping boards.

Peeler

Wine opener/bottle opener/can opener

Grater

Colander

Measuring jug

Large saucepan (5 liters) for cooking pasta/medium/small saucepan

Frying pan(s) - and not the totally worn out non-stick ones !!

Juicer 

Some basic way of making filter coffee.

Basic cutlery and crockery 

Wine glasses (we are on holiday after all...)

Salad bowl

Basics like salt/pepper/flour/sugar/stock cubes.

Not essentials, but we also supply a glass wine aeration carafe, an individual aerator, vacuum-seal wine bottle stoppers/pump, wine bottle foil cutter, and white wine chiller packs,  along with a typical wine bottle opener. 

We are in Portugal and near vineyards. The guests are blown away by our attention to this.

We also provide multiple ways to make coffee, since many Europeans are nuts about that too - drip coffee maker, Dimobilli Multi Espresso machine, French press and Italian stove top espresso maker. 

Annette76
Level 10
Cherry Log, GA

My loft has a full kitchen, small but has most of what someone would need. Built in are the Fridge with ice maker, sink, small dishwasher, range and microwave.

I have standard place settings for 8, plates, bowls, and cutlery 

6 coffee mugs, 6 drinking glasses, 6 wine glasses

The must haves I felt I would personally need, that I have in my inventory;

Wine opener, bottle opener, can opener, vegetable peeler

Cutting board and at least 2 good knives. 

Mixing bowls, measuring cups and spoons 

Assorted spatulas, ladles and wooden spoons

1 cast iron skillet, 1 small saucepan w lid, 1 large saucepan w lid, 1 nonstick frying pan

a couple of cookie sheets, a muffin pan and a 9x13 baking pan

toaster oven, blender, keurig, electric kettle,french press, hand coffee grinder

cheese grater, a few pieces of Tupperware,

crock pot, hand mixer

a few casserole dishes in various sizes

collander, wooden salad bowl and tongs, kitchen scissors 

potholders and dish towels

some basic spices, olive oil and spray oil

My place is currently being renovated so I have been buying this stuff as I run across good sales. Also, I used to have a kitchen at our kennel so I’m repurposing some items I had duplicates of and don’t need in my own kitchen at the main house. 

It depends so much on the type of accomodation.

1) I co-hosted for a friend and rented his entire place when he traveled. He had a full kitchen with all the utensils and appliances you could need. We left salt/pepper/seasonings/oil for cooking. We did not leave perishables in the fridge, but left condiments and things that wouldn't go bad. We did not ever replenish anything. Tried leaving coffee, but people bought their own because it's such a personal thing.

2) If it were a suite with no kitchen, I would put a small table with mini fridge and microwave and coffee maker and probably disposable utensils/plates/cups. Maybe a wine/bottle opener, salt/pepper, sugar.

3) In our private room situation in our house, we had to limit kitchen use and length of stays for our sanity. We allow "light cooking only" (as in reheating leftovers). When we allowed longer stays and full kitchen use folks took advantage and ate our food and left messes and were often in the way so that we couldn't use our own kitchen. Now we have guests that go out for all their meals and it's fabulous.

Evelyn86
Level 3
New York, NY

Hi. Trying not to repeat all the prior items. The fridge has no ice maker so I supply ice cube trays. It's a good idea to replace the cubes with each new check-in. I use bottled water to make the ice.

TIP: boiling water or using distilled water will give you crystal clear ice cubes.

Kitchen garbage bags and recycle bags. 

Small Fire extinguisher under sink

Any suggestions on a good wine opener?

Good thread.

Rose165
Level 2
Upper Marlboro, MD

Great postings. I have: full size refrigerator, g as stove, microwave, set of dishes, mugs , glasses, silverware, pots and pans, hot water heater, coffee maker, slow cooker, rice cooker __recently stolen, soap dispenser, and cleaning supplies, wipes, paper towels, cloth towels, salad spinner, strainer, toaster.. also disposable cups, plates, utensils, ___ no one has ever said thanks..or rated me positively.. this is a 1br fully furnished apartment. All private in city heart..u Neve know what people want. I did it like this because I have traveled worldwide for 20 year s and know what I always wished for in a long term place..

Nikki36
Level 2
Singapore

Hi from Singapore!

@Nikki36

Hello Nikki - my Singaporean guests have been pleased to find a wok, a rice cooker and some rice in my kitchen.  Anything else I should add for guests from your area ?

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Marit-Anne0,

My partner mentioned that chopsticks are quite nice to have :-). You can buy disposable chopsticks, but she recommends the ones made of stainless steel (saves trees). 

I hope this helps!

-----