Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Must-have items for in the kitchen?

Must-have items in the kitchen.png

Hello everyone,

I hope you're all well.

Recently, we had a topic about must-have items for in the bathroom. Today, I thought it would be great to ask you which items are a must in the kitchen for your guests? What are standard utensils that you offer? Perhaps you think that providing at least some cutlery and plates is a must but that's it, or maybe you provide all the kitchen utensils they could possibly need?

Feel free to share your experiences and any tips and tricks :-).

I look forward to seeing your replies!

Quincy

In case you missed it: 'Must-have items for in the bathroom

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

55 Replies 55
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aww @Marzena4, I wonder if your teaspoons are ending up in the same place as my socks, my socks are always disappearing...I think the washing machine is eating them (so probably not!!). 🙂 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

I guess, @Lizzie, my teaspoons wanted to see the world... or at least were invited on a journey and couldn't refuse 😉

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

I have a few plastic spoons, forks and knifes, abd present them as free to take for a meal on the return trip. That slows the disappearing down. I must have a handful of spoons and forks in my drawer, that came from stops before my place 😉

Disposal plastic cutlery is good and you don't have to worry about how many people used it before you. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

hehe @Marzena4, maybe they have! I wonder if they are staying in different Airbnbs? 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Ed7
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Very interesting topic!  From my experience, the "must-have" all depends on the type of apartment and location and of course who your ultimate clients are...

For us, we have north american size bachelor apartments that cater to 1-3 guests maximum.  So we have been furnishing the kitchens with serving maximum 4 guests in mind.  Also we emphasize in our listing that the apartment is suitable for LIGHT cooking as the space is limited for entertaining. But we do offer the guests the opportunity to ask us if they have any special needs.  Rice cookers, microwave etc.. have often been requested...

We had guests who wanted to host a family function and inquired about the availbility of doing so.  I find that it is best to set up clear expectations when it comes to cooking needs.

Of course if your listing is especially attractive due to a fully equipped kitchen that targets larger groups/guests who enjoy cooking, then I suggest some wonderful photos of your beautiful kitchen will sure attract the right clientele.

Cheers!

Lisa1831
Level 5
New York, NY

From a GUEST point of view make sure have the basics: 

Refrigerator 

Toaster

Blender

Foil

Tupperware

Sponge

Dish soap.

Broom and dust pan

Paper towels

A dish rack

Jeremy388
Level 2
Kansas City, MO

I work nomadically and have been renting AirBNB's for some time in South America and find them very woefully lacking. I am wondering if it is these countries. There seems to be a theme in each country. I don't think anyone would rent an entire apartment to someone asking for all the kitchen essential for a long term stay without these things. What do you think?

1. Can opener is a knife as those used for sea-rashions and not something I could use after watching a youtube and trying for 30 minutes. It even took a local friend 20 minutes to open a can for me. 
  2. Lack of kitchen knives for cutting meat while cook OR for eating.
  3. The current place has tiny baby sized spoons, short with a tiny spoon...smaller than a table spoon.
  4. No oven in a one-bedroom apartment.

Many others don't have refrigerators and I always check about the size. I find this cheap and just won't rent from them. One didn't have a microwave and I managed and rented despite knowing this. I am actually much better without one after trying it. The oven seems unacceptable to me know that I got into using it more without having a microwave.

I recommend that hosts provide double the towels required and extra blankets. To do otherwise just make you look cheap. To provide them makes you look like a super host. What does it cost you really? Any hotel or B&B will provide upon request.

Another finding is that some towels come stiff as though they were line dried or with soap on them. I hav e never seen this in my life until coming hear. Very bad. Who wants a stiff towel? Fortunately, I actually travel with my own towel.

The other thing that every good host has is extra electric surge protecotrs for several devices with international plugs, or several convertors. These are cheap and I actually own a few of my own. When that is still not enough because the house is poorly equipped with outlets I find it very frustrating. What am I supposed to care several of these?

I LOVE the hosts who leave cold bottle of water, even in a glass vase, in the fridge. I am always thirsty upon arrival. A few nice things like pens, candies, crackers, tea, coffee, go a long way to making me want to give you a wonderful rating. 

I have had good and many more bad experiences. The worst the night before my departure all my laundry was stuck in the wash for over a week. ALL my laundry. The host got a rave review and no mention of this, because she was sweet and wonderful and always concerned. She left nice notes for the arrival.

Oh the last indisipinsilbe is a book about the home (Wi-Fi, where do I take the trash, wherein the building can I was my clothes, etc.). If you want me to clean provide some basic cleaning supplies and trash bags. Do you expect people to travel with these things? Apparently in my current country at least two hosts do. One told me it isn't their responsibility. 

Lastly, provide two sets of keys. If there is more than one person they are handy, and it is even if there isn't It is cheap. Again, I was told by one host "What if I rent to 12 people should I provide 12 keys?" No, but two is not unreasonable for two people renting an apartment. I rented for two and hired a housekeeper, which meant that the property was being kept extra clean and getting deep cleaned the day before my departure. For $1 USD what's the skin off your back.

Am I a bad guest? Apparently, some think I am. They host with an ant infestation from the moment I arrived made me out to be a bad guest despite his made telling me it had been an issue in the apartment for years. 

I hope most hosts are better than I have experienced. I am at the end of my rope with AirBNB at least in South America. 

Come visit me, I’ve got your list covered, and love my guest to feel at home. 

Eva869
Level 1
Redmond, WA

This conversation is very interesting. Since I'm currently in an apartment with a kitchen, we were surprised not to find cooking utensils nor are there potholders. What good is a kitchen if u can't cook? There was no coffee maker which I thought, should be standard though I'm not a coffee drinker. My husband who loves his coffee in the morning thought it wasn't standard which surprised me greatly. Hearing the stories here about electrical appliances I'm seeing your pain. I expect a kitchen with cooking utensils, because I like to cook as well as prep breakfast.

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

Some statistics:

For the last month my guests used 400g of ground coffee, almost 10 small packs of instant coffee and just enormous amount of herbal tea-5-6 boxes (20 pack each) of different types of tea- mint, chamomile, rosehip, linden. Black and green tea - untouched.

In my country, drinking tea in the summer is really rare. Milk is the most common morning drink. We just don't have this tradition. Tea is for the cold days.

Same with the white sugar-almost untouched. Honey packs and brown sugar are preferred.