Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Must-have items for in the kitchen?

Must-have items in the kitchen.png

Hello everyone,

I hope you're all well.

Recently, we had a topic about must-have items for in the bathroom. Today, I thought it would be great to ask you which items are a must in the kitchen for your guests? What are standard utensils that you offer? Perhaps you think that providing at least some cutlery and plates is a must but that's it, or maybe you provide all the kitchen utensils they could possibly need?

Feel free to share your experiences and any tips and tricks :-).

I look forward to seeing your replies!

Quincy

In case you missed it: 'Must-have items for in the bathroom

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

55 Replies 55
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

It all depends is it just a kitchenette or a real kitchen, for how many guests, what is the average lenght of stay, are there restaurants and cafes near by... We are in the city center and our guests very rarely use kitchen to cook. We could have kitchenette and it would be just enough.

Regarding utensils and cookware we provide the same as we have at home, even plastic containers, can opener, lemon squeezer, colender and often forgotten stuff like that ... but we removed some electrical appliances  from our units for safety or other reasons. For example we put our oven out of order bc we just don't have enough time to scrub it between guests. One of our guests washed the toaster under running water and few of them checked out and left electric water cooker and empty coffee maker turned on . Sometimes we find fridge door opened.  One guest left 3 empty pots on hot electric cooktop and burn them.... My opinion is - if you are of site hosts then avoid electric appliances as much as you can. Provide only neccessary like fridge and cooktop 😞

Must have item in kitchen - fire extinguisher

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Branka-and-Silvia0,

I hope you're both well!

It's great to see that you offer so many kitchen utensils! I think that of all the places I've visited, there was always a bottle opener missing. What left me really astonished are your guests who washed a toaster under running water—it seems that they were rather lucky!

-----

Gina158
Level 2
Cambridge, MA

Hi!

I have plates, bowls, mugs, pots and pans, pyrex, a few things for baking. Extra glasses, mugs, dishes. I do have a pretty small kitchen.

I had an electric coffee maker that was stolen, but do have a coffee press and grinder that guests like to use.

I have a small 1BR apartment, and it is advertised for one person, so I have silverware basically for 4 people, and provide basic cooking utensils.  I did have one guest that emailed me during his stay and asked me to bring him a handheld cheese-grater, which I did... he did later ding me on my rating, for not having "basic kitchen utensils like a cheese grater".

So I am not sure what people think of as "basic" - I myself never use one, but I have one now... it does depend on the guest.

Graeme14
Level 2
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Hi Gina,

Great post - a coffee grinder is a great idea - I've just added a cafetiere, I'd considered a Nespresso or similar but was concerned for one off use they can take too long to figure out.

In addition to a good set of pots and pans - I recommend meyer - very durable - I've also included a colander as a kitchen staple!

I don't restrict use of the oven - wish me luck!!

I did hear of one guest popping the electric kettle on the stove - how detailed should the welcome pack be!!

Happy hosting!

Graeme

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Very essential: kettle, mugs, glasses, plates, cutlery, sharp cutting knife, chopping board within sight, microwave oven, fridge, rubbish bin, cloths, washing liquid, sponge, table and mats, chairs, tea, coffee, sugar

Pretty useful: cooking pots, frying pan, cooker

There are many more in my kitchen, but after some experience with guests taking advantage of my hospitality (vs. my prices) I am rather trying to downgrade now.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Quincy

I have a three types of openers Bottle opener, Wine Bottle opener, and Can opener. Chopping Board is necessary and two sharp knives.

The ladies @Branka-and-Silvia0 have hit the nail on the head with regards to electric appliance the minimum the better, there is nothing that will break electric appliance quicker then novice users.

(I was thinking that the person who washed Branka & Silvia toaster under the tap, it was a pity they did not leave it plugged in.)

This as the ladies have said, is very location specific, all but two of my guest have eaten out as there is an abundance of reasonably price good quality restaurants nearby.

Although my washing machine seem to be very popular.

Regards

Cormac

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Cormac0!

How are you? 

I think a chopping board is essential as you wouldn't want to have your counter damaged!

It's funny that you offer three types of openers as I just mentioned to Branka & Silvia, that every time I visit a place, there's no bottle opener available :-).

Cormac, I too wonder what @Branka-and-Silvia0's guests were thinking washing a toaster under running water! I tend to go out for food as well, but sometimes I like to have a bottle of local beer in the fridge. 

-----

Don't all wine openers have a bottle opener on them too? All mine do and have in the past but maybe I just got lucky.

Now I'm thinking about getting a bottle opener beause maybe people just dont' know.

Hollie

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Holly42 

There are so many different types of Wine and Bottle openers these days, from flip top to cork, some have more gadgets than others.

Could you put a photo of your one online?

@Cormac0 😄 lol... luckly she unpluged it before washing it so she survived ...toaster didn't..... luckly we noticed water in toaster and throwed it away before it killed next innocent guest... she payed for new toaster.... we didn't have to pay compensation to the next guest griefing family... it was happy end 🙂

We put a drawing on our first dishwasher, which says in drawing and three languages: no sharp knives, no coffee maker and nothing with an electric wire is allowed in the dishwasher. We bought a few Of those siver coloured Italian espresso carafes over time. They get black in the dishwasher. i thought it highly likely, that someone would wash an electric knife ir mixer in the dishwasher. And someone still found a way to destroy a handheld mixer. Not sure who, but none of the potential suspects seemed the type to batter dough during holidays. 

Maureen116
Level 4
British Columbia, Canada

We rent out a cottage. The kitchen has two induction plates, a full sized fridge, a toaster oven, microwave and electric kettle. 

For or cooking ware, a full set of stainless steel pots, cast iron fry pans, a salad spinner, seasonings, all manner of cooking utensils, garlic press, grater, cutting board, strainer, cutlery

We've supplied the kitchen with casserole dishes, lasagna pan,  salad/veggie bowls, plates, cups, mugs, bowls,  wine glasses and rock glasses.

Formfood, we supplie microwave popcorn, cold cereals, hot cereals, pancake mix and syrup, fresh laid eggs, (we have chickens), bread, peanut butter, jam, margarine, butter, condiments, an assortment of fruit, and a Denman Island organic chocolate bar.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Maureen116,

It's nice to see you again :-). 

I'm impressed by all the kitchen utensils that you offer for your guests. I also like that you have chickens—there's nothing above some fresh eggs in the morning! Have you ever had any guests that asked for extra kitchen equipment?  

-----

Maureen116
Level 4
British Columbia, Canada

Yes. We had a chef book with us, and he requested a grater. So we did go and get one immediately.