My Airbnb, Our Stories

Yuan100
Level 10
Singapore

My Airbnb, Our Stories

Hi guys,

In times like this, I want to spread positive vibe to remind us the reason why we started hosting and how we got passionate into it. We all have a fair bit of stories to share, and I decided to put mine into a book. Airbnb changes my life completely, so right now I want to give back to the community thru this book.

**Solicitation removed inline with Community Guidelines

"My Home, Our Stories" highlights great stories that shows the length of humanity if we open up ourselves to others without judgement. As a host for the past 8 years, Yuan has grown as a person. Follow through her journey from pursuing her passion, experiencing cultural differences and relationships. See how she evolved with accounts from her guests.

Thank you!

Yuan

17 Replies 17
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

When you say you are giving back to the community through your book, I am assuming you are therefore giving your book away for free to the host community @Yuan100 ???

Hi @Helen3 

I am not giving the book away for free as I myself is also being impacted by the current situation. I want to make the situation better by sharing my stories in a larger audience e.g potential people who are sceptical of using home sharing platform or future hosts. 

By putting this book together, with the sale proceeds I want to passed it down to hosts who are in dire situation. I am not sure if my book will be a success and if it's going to be significant amount, however I just want to do my best.

Yuan

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Yuan100  It sounds like a nice project and I'm sure you need to supplement your income at this point due to what the pandemic has done to hosting, but advertising anything for sale on this forum is against the forum rules.

Hi @Sarah977 !

Sorry, I am new here. I was informed by @Lizzie  about this and hence the link is being removed already. 

I just want to make the best out of the situation not just a supplement income for me, but I want to be able to pass on the sale proceeds to other hosts who are in dire situation. 

Thank you for highlighting again.

Stay well!

Yuan

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Nice to hear you are looking to help out other hosts how are you planning to allocate profits to hosts in a dire situation @Yuan100 ?

@Helen3 to be honest I am not quite sure yet how the book will perform and whether if its going to be a significant amount. I am running crowdfunding for the book where people can purchase the pre-order. So I am still looking ways to promote it. Meanwhile, I am trying to get in touch with Airbnb team (but no response) if possible it would be easier to donate to the relief fund. If not, I guess I will have to reach out thru this community forum.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I am rather uncomfortable with you saying you are giving any profits to hosts when you clearly haven't given any idea as to how you will do this.

It feels like you have added that as an after-thought to help encourage sales of your book.

Hi @Helen3 

I thought of putting this book quite some time to spread positive message of Airbnb and how it had inspired me throughout these years. So, it happened during the period that I was on quarantine I want to make used of the time and also to help others when I know many hosts are affected during this period. 

I couldn't put a channel of how I am going to donate the money other than thru Airbnb relief fund. I am still finding ways to reached out to them. Also, I am not sure how significant the amount is going to be. 

I can't stop you from thinking I am an opportunist. My conscious is clear and I am answerable to those who have supported this project of mine in the end. 

Peace!

Yuan

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

Hi @Yuan100 , your profile shows that you have a good foundation of traveling and hosting to begin the process your talking about for sure.  I can tell you that there are hundreds of great stories that can come from hosts here and and other forums .  The best way to get them to tell those stories is to get to know them before asking for content or funding ideas. 

Charity is wonderful, its nice that your thinking that way, writing a book that is a compilation of stories from other hosts is a great way to do so without a huge investment of money up front, just lots and lots and lots of time and trust building from from your content donors.  It may be better to begin the process of writing a book by gathering the your research via interactions here on a daily basis, you will be a (Level 10) ten before you know it and probably well on your way to some interesting reading material.  Maybe you could start that bit of sharing by telling us your favorite story hosting in your Home. Stay well Yuan, JR

Yuan100
Level 10
Singapore

Hi @Melodie-And-John0 

Thank you for your message! I am pretty sure a lot of hosts out there have plenty to share too. I met quite a lot of passionate hosts over the years here. Unfortunately, we don't have have much events as compared to the first few years when I started hosting. 

I am putting this book solely from my own account. For every person who walked thru my door, they taught me life lesson and I want to document it down in hope to inspired others who might want to be hosts, travelers etc.

I am halfway thru putting the book together and taking in pre-orders. I just hope thru this book travelers would consider staying Airbnb with a host. So far, I would say only 15% of travelers are willing to used home sharing platform. 

We sure have a lot of favourite stories! It's so hard to choose one...Mmm ..As a host, we sure do received notes and gifts from guests. But there is one special gift I received and it totally touched my heart. I had a bad day from work and felt so unappreciated by my ex boss. My guest from Chengdu (China) checked out that morning. So when I came back home, I saw a panda soft toy left in the guest's room. On his little pouch, there was a note. My tears just rolled down knowing that at least I know my guest appreciated my hospitality! 

Look forward to hear your fav hosting story too!  🙂

IMG_6781.JPG

Brian1663
Level 3
New York, NY

Why not start a blog?

@Brian1663 

I thought it would be good to put collection of stories into one book as it accounts my own personal journey for the past 8 years. 

I created an IG account so before this book project so I could look back and remember all the good memories. 

Yuan

Yuan100
Level 10
Singapore

Hi guys,

I would like to share an article I just published. 

https://medium.com/@khaiyuan/earning-money-from-airbnb-theres-more-to-it-9993cca1c6b3

I am sure a lot of you guys share the same sentiment as me. I've been exposed to many different backgrounds, cultures and colours. Through them, I've widen my perspective of the world, learning to trust and respect each individual without judgement.

We need to spread this message even more now in order for us to strive for a healthy global community.

Yuan 

Fantastic article @Yuan100!

Your positive attitude and your message absolutely resonate with me!

I'm a fellow author too! Feel welcome to message me your book link. I would be happy to check it out!

Keep shining,

Odessa Christiana