My craziest inquiry yet!

Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

My craziest inquiry yet!

As hosts we all probably get some pretty crazy inquiries from people who obviously haven't read our listing or at the very least, our rules. My listing clearly states NO PARTIES and DOGS MUST BE FRIENDLY & GET ALONG WITH OTHER DOGS.

I got this inquiry today and had to chuckle. 

"Hey there Don, We were pondering finding a place to rent with a pool this weekend for my wife's birthday and having a few friends (~6) over to have a few drinks and relax. Your place seems fun and cool, and the added fact that we could potentially bring our pups instead of having to drive home at night is a big plus. Our dogs are pit mixes and a bit dog aggressive, but I'd be happy to leave them in the house and take them out on a leash when we need. Just wanted to send you a note before renting to see if all of that might be amenable. Thanks!"

So for $130 this guy thinks I'm going to let him bring 6 friends and at least 2 dangerous aggressive pitbulls and have a pool/birthday party at my place?!  LOL! 

And here's one of his three reviews... "We hope you enjoyed your stay at Cabana del Sol and found our City enjoyable. Airbnb's are much different that Hotels. We each ask different things of our guests. we only ask for three things: 1) Clean and pyut away your dishes 2) take the trash out and 3) text us when you leave. Unfortunately you did none of these."

What's your most ridiculous inquiry?

41 Replies 41
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Donald28  LMAO... At least the guy was honest lol.

@Donald28 I love that review! Good on that host.

That is a ballsy ask from your potential guest.

My primary Airbnb has a limit of 4 guests. It could technically sleep 6 plus a baby, but I don't want to go there: I think that 4 is a good number for the space.

I had a woman contact me in the spring who wanted to bring a group of 6 women for a bachelorette party. She was new to Airbnb and had no photo and no verifications. I messaged her back, and said that we might be willing to consider it for one night and an extra charge, but she needed to properly verify her account. She sent me like 5 emails, pleading and cajoling, asking to book without verifying. She said she didn't feel comfortable sharing information online. I politely said that as they were asking to stay in our home, we needed her to verify her account. She never did, and needless to say she didn't book with us.

Even though the review left for this guy was pretty bad, The host did recommend the guest though. He has 3 hosts recommending him and 3 reviews. If I leave someone a bad review, I also make sure to not recommend them... mainly because I don't want them instant booking here in the future. But also to warn future hosts. 

@Donald28,

I find it even more disturbing when the guest isnt recommended but the host writes "Everything is OK"

What the heck!!

I think that this may be because only recently have we been asked to recommend or not. I have had guests with ten sterling reviews but only three recommendations, because of this late start. So be sure to look at the dates of the reviews, if you are worried.

Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

ya know @Letitia0, I agree! I thanked him for asking because if he instant booked and showed up with 6 people and 2 dangerous pitbulls, I would have turned him away. I also thanked him for the chuckle. 😉 

Elizabeth429
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

@Donald28,

Once I got a 4* in Communication because I didnt tell her (the guest) there was not a landline available for her to call her fiancé. Apparently, she wanted to be able to call her boyfriend every night. She was only 21yo, I sometimes felt like a chaperone.

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Donald28 This is too funny! Leave aggressive pit bulls in the house while they get drunk by the pool eh? 

@John1080John yes that's all airbnb hosts dream guests eh?!  All for $130. LOL. People are just crazy sometimes. 

Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

if it's going to be the dogs who stay in the house, could they not book by themselves in the first place ? 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

I just got a 4-star communication rating with the comment "air bnb didn't respond to email; internet site hard to use."

Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi @Lisa723,

Next time, they will dinge you on location. Because guests don’t like airport security or something 🙂

Possible lesson for Airbnb: That’s what happens, when you strive for being the cheapest in the market! Each policy attracts its own audience.

@Cor3 oh yes, this guest did that too, also on value. She's in her seventies, first-time Airbnb user and understandably not familiar with the platform's conventions. I'm sure she didn't think she was dinging me.

Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi @Lisa723,

I had a guest once, that dinged me on cleanliness (First and only time ever).

And as there was no explanation given. So I asked the guests why. As maybe we can improve somewhere.

Answer: No, I really wanted to give you 5 stars on everything!

I thought: ??? Thank you, but no thanks (same as with you).

But the guest called Airbnb, in order to have the review changed. And in response I was called by Airbnb and I was given the choice: Either remove the associated reviews or let it stand. So be it.