My dog went a bit aggressive on a guest

Rebecca373
Level 2
Manawatu-Wanganui, New Zealand

My dog went a bit aggressive on a guest

Hi everyone,

So I’ve got a couple staying in my private room. When they booked they said they were very excited to play with my two dogs. I was flexible and allowed them to check in between 1-2pm even though my profile is 4pm check in but I was happy to help. I had a movie outing planned already so I advised them of this the day before and said I would check them in and head off. They were happy to stay with my dogs and play with them. I said please put them outside if they’re annoying. I got a message while I was in the movie that one of my dogs had started showing aggression once I left the house and had bit the male. No blood was drawn but he wasn’t happy. I rang my partner to get him home straight away. He went and dealt with it and locked the dogs away. I won’t get to see the couple until later tonight or tomorrow. What is the best way to go about this? Do I need to offer them a refund? I’m only new so really don’t want bad reviews. Every experience so far has been so positive and the dogs have enjoyed interacting with our guests. Help please!   

10 Replies 10
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

As a dog owner, I think it pretty irresponsible to leave your dogs with strangers who have just arrived and go out. Has this dog ever nipped at anyone before? Guests, even if they like dogs, are not necessarily aware of things that might make a dog nervous or anxious, nor how the dog is accustomed to being touched. My dog, who has never bitten anyone or any other animal (she's 10 years old and I've had her since she was a pup) once snapped at the 5 year old son of neighbors who I was chatting with on the road. I didn't notice that the kid was sitting on the ground by her tail and touching her back end, which really makes her nervous.

I really don't know about a refund- do they want to leave? Are they now being unfriendly? What you don't want is for them to complete their stay, and then ask airbnb for a refund plus give you a horrible review.

I'm sure other hosts will weigh in.

Rebecca373
Level 2

Hi Sarah,
Thanks heaps for your thoughts on this. I should’ve left the dogs outside I know this in hindsight, I only left them in because these guests said they were looking forward to spending time with my dogs and were playing with them when I left. Massive regret and I should’ve just put them out instead. She has only ever nipped when someone was waving their hands all in her face. She’s been so super friendly with all guests so far, giving them lots of cuddles. I didn’t think this would change when I wasn’t there but she must have been confused. They were ok with my partner when he went home as soon as I called him. I sent them a message and told them I was on my way home and apologised profusely. They are sleeping at the moment and seemed happy that my partner had come home and talked with them and said we can chat in the morning. I would rather give them the refund than have it go further as obviously I’m trying really hard to build up a good profile and every other stay has gone very smoothly.

Rebecca373
Level 2

They haven’t said anything about leaving so I’m hoping we can have a chat and come to a resolution together. 

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

I wouldn't offer any refund, @Rebecca373. I have a cat, sometimes meet other people's dogs, and it is me who signals how far the dogs can go. I would apologize though, but only that - the guests seem to have expressed their wish to enjoy the company of dogs. Anyone should be aware what a dog can do, just like cats scratch for example. 

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Rebecca373
Level 2

Hi Marzena,

Thank you for your feedback. It is great to hear other points of view as I am so new. We have apologised for sure and we are trying very hard to be the perfect hosts - making zero noise as they sleep before starting work for the night. That is a good example with cats, easily could happen. Something I need to take as a learning experience and fingers crossed they enjoy their stay enough for a mostly good review. I read back over my other reviews and others have mentioned how friendly our animals are - so hopefully future guests can see it was a one off (if they do mention it in their review). 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Maybe the guy was roughhousing with your dog and just got him all excited and he nipped in the excitement of it all. Some people think that's a good way to play with dogs and might be if you're famailiar with the dog. Friends used to get my kids all hyped up with some crazy physical game right before bedtime- used to irritate me no end.

Rebecca373
Level 2

Very good point. I do hope this is what happened, as when I left he was throwing the ball to them in the hallway and having a great time. Lesson learnt though that dogs can't just get used to someone instantly. They are such protective animals after all. Oh no! Hopefully the kids slept well atleast 🙂

Thanks for your advice, Sarah. Fingers crossed they are happy campers come morning time. We have tried to do everything to be the perfect hosts so I hope that is noticed.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

And yeah, feel them out in the morning- your guest might have been a bit understandably shaken, but he might be over it in the morning. You can probably get a read on whether they are the kind of people who will be inclined to make a complaint or refund request to airbnb.

@Rebecca373

I wouldn't offer any refund from the start - even the best behaved dogs can "**bleep**" a person if too excited and it's something people should be careful about, regardless of what the owner says. Why don't you feel out the guest, maybe provide an extra nice breakfast (that is normally NOT provided) or invite them for a quick drink in the evening with another appology and see how they react.

Ashley381
Level 2
Inwood, WV

@Rebecca373 i googled “what to do when my guest claims my dog ‘almost’ bit them” because I have a guest claiming my dog almost bit her when petting him. (Which is how i found this post) This is their second day at our house, and they happened to come home before us this evening. Her partner said to me “yeah, your dog almost bit her. I told her not to get in his face...” 

As soon as they arrived on day 1 I told her and her partner SEVERAL times to give him space, as he gets nervous around other people. She kept trying to hug him, which is a HUGE no-no with any dog, especially one you don’t know. 

All we did was apologize and reminded them to give him space. 

Even our guest manual has descriptions of both of our dogs, and their personalities. 

It’s super frustrating because all of our posts have been positive about our dogs, and I hate to see us potentially get a bad review. Ugh.