My experiment as a Guest - early bird gets the worm.

Andrew90
Level 10
New York, NY

My experiment as a Guest - early bird gets the worm.

I recently had to help my daughter find a place to stay in London and Paris after she cancelled her plans to go to Turkey after recent events.

I inquired to about 10-15 opportunities in each city. 2-3 hosts responded in about 2 hours and only about 50pct replied within 12.

In each case we booked with one of the 2 with the first response.
Andrew - see community help guides for many great FAQ
8 Replies 8
Jude7
Level 10
Rhinebeck, NY

Interesting experience, @Andrew90! Thanks for sharing.  The fact that I grab my phone and respond immediately with the first "ding" makes me feel sorta like a superhero! 😉

Just curious - since there was a recent post about the difference between inquiries and requests - what was your reason for sending out multiple inquiries, rather than perusing the offerings and simply booking the one that best suited your needs?

I know that I, for one, would be interested in knowing how a guest thinks, as they're contemplating making a booking choice. I'm sure that insight will help others as well.

Glad to hear that your daughter is safe, and that she avoided stepping into a potentially volatile situation.  I am sure you are very relieved as well!

Jude

Rhinebeck, NY (just in case you didn't notice we were neighbors!)

@Jude0 thanks. The main reason I inquired with so many was that I was recommending options for my daughter to choose. And I was reaching out to hosts to recommend her since she had new profile with limited details and I know from these forums that many hosts who share rooms don't like to rent to guests with no reviews.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

You did not see anything with Instant Book that suited?

David
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Interesting David you mentioned Instant Book.

I would never have this on as a host and as a guest, I would always want to 'chat' to a host first before making a booking to get a feel for them. So instant book doesn't appeal to me

You are fluent in French?

Just wondered what a few lines exchanged can tell you over and above what is on their listing.

David

@David126 - 

I actually find that those few lines of chat between myself and a guest seems to give me a great deal of information about who they are, their friendliness, and an overall sense of our compatibility.  Perhaps I have a 6th sense about such things, or perhaps is it my experience as a teacher of language arts, but their "voice" just seems to jump off the page at me, even in a few sentences, as you say.

With @Andrew90 looking for a safe place for his teenaged daughter, I can certainly see the value of such an exchange.  

Jude

I dont generally do IB and especially not in this case. I was looking for a safe place for my teenage daughter traveling alone and I wanted to chat with the host to ensure they spoke English and were actually living in apartment with the shared room so so she would not be alone.

Oops double post