My first bad experience with guests

Gwen-And-Brian0
Level 2
North Hill, Australia

My first bad experience with guests

Hi. We've been on Airbnb for less than 12 months, and have had only good experiences until this last one. We live a few hours away from our holiday house so I rang the guest and her family (husband, two teenagers and a young child) when they had left, to check that all was okay (I usually try to make contact at some stage). The woman complained and said that there were spiders everywhere.  I explained that we had been there a few days earlier and there weren't any, so they must have come since then. She said there was one in the sink in the kitchen and they had to spray - understandable. She also complained that there were spiders under the house where the kayak was! (This is Australia!). The cleaner told me that she'd cleaned away all cobwebs before the guests arrive, and she has always been totally reliable so I believe her. The woman then complained that the water in the estuary was too shallow to use the kayak! It's a tidal estuary and there is usually plenty of opportunity to kayak - pick your times. I felt disappointed she whinged about these things, but accepted that you can't please everyone.

But this morning, Monday, the cleaner rang to say that the guests had left all the lights on in the house, as well as the outside lights, and had left the airconditioner running. They left in the daytime, on Sunday morning, so that's 24 hours before the cleaner comes in to turn everything off.

We provide free Wi Fi and I checked the usage - they used more than 3GBs in the three days, so they had enjoyed all of the extras that we provide, and yet only complained.

So my issue is this: they can give us a bad star rating even though they obviously used all the facilities at a reasonable price and didn't respect the space. I don't want to give someone a bad star rating but they didn't respect the space, and I'm cheesed off about it. And now our otherwise 5 star rating may be affected.

What do I do? I'd appreciate any advice.

Cheers

Gwen

6 Replies 6
Luis-and-Tati0
Level 10
New York, NY

Hi @Gwen-And-Brian0

We all have good days and bad days, good guests and bad guests...

Last month we had a guest from hell that complained about everything... To the point of turning the sofa upside down and complaint to be dirty under it..

Just to make sure I will repeat that...

He really turned the sofa upside down and complained to be dirty under it...

I refunded him the first night and moved him to another property that he liked better...

Even after refunding money and moving him to a better house he left a bad review.... My first bad review in over 350....

So feel free to leave a honest review about your guest...

About you extra energy consumption... 

All our lights are CFL or LED... So a extra day turned on don't mean too much...

For the A/C we have Nest thermostat in all houses...soon as the guest leaves the house the thermostat goes to "Auto-Away" mode and turn off the system...

About the internet...

Most of our guests goes about 3-5gb a day... I have guests using 25gb a day for 10 days...

Here in the US the internet at home is not metered or limited...

Luis

Thanks Luis - I admire their thoroughness in turning over a sofa!! Yes, I'll get used to it I guess.

Re the Wi Fi - I wasn't complaining about what they use, but just surprised they didn't appreciate what was there - we have a three-bedroom waterfront house with aircon and WiFi at what is considered a reasonable rent. And as we're coastal and not in a city, these things are usually considered extras.

But you're right - I'll just have to suck it up. And I can't see the point of putting in a bad star rating.

Cheers

Gwen

And of course you always have the option of reacting publicly on their review.

Just a note about spiders. They CAN spin a web in less than a day! My listing is an old house and as far as I know cobwebs are a common occurance in old houses. So many people today live in very sterile apartments/condos and  have never been in a place where spiders can live. We also have cluster flies in early spring and fall....another thing that will freak out those kind of guests. I have learned to accept the occassional complaint and just live with it.....I know I will never get SuperHost status but that doesn't bother me either. The house is what it is....to most people it is a charming, modest farmhouse.

I so agree with you on the sterile thing - our place is wonderful for people who love birds, bush, estuary and nature. But take people out of a sterile city and they'll freak out at the slightest thing (though Sydney is hardly a sterile city!).

Either way, I'm willing to accept all this - just pissed off that they also left all the lights on and the aircon running!

Michelle0
Level 6
New York, NY

Gwen,

Not only am I a host, I also work with Cityami, a property manager built around the specifics of home sharing. Unfortunately, we see this more frequently than not in many homes. I always advise clients to charge for the most. If you can install a nest thermostat, great! Many of our clients use these, and they're fantastic. If not, just work the A/C and lights into the pricing and try to be sure you have energy efficient appliances. In the summer time, my charge goes up $20/day to cover the cost of guests running the A/C at 65 F 24/7.. because it happens often enough, and although my profile asks guests to shut it off when they leave, there are many who won't because they want the home to be cool when they return. It happens. Better to prepare than stress yourself out over what inevitably can't be controlled.