My first regular guest,

Jo620
Level 4
Wokingham, United Kingdom

My first regular guest,

This will be my first regular guest. He will be returning for one day a week for a month due to work commitments. Now I am sure everything will be fine We will be  giving him a trial  and see how this fits to our lifestyle, Your thoughts please as I haven't been doing this long.

6 Replies 6
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jo620  I see you have a private room home-share listing, as I do. So I'd say one thing to keep in mind is to not be reticent about speaking up about anything he does that isn't fitting, as soon as it comes up. If he uses the kitchen and doesn't clean up adequately after himself, for instance. Or leaves his stuff laying around in common areas or is noisy early or late when you may be sleeping.

When you home-share, it's important to have a good, easy-going line of communication with the guest. I've read so many posts over time from home-share hosts who allow behavior which disturbs them go on, because they are uncomfortable about approaching the guest about it and end up feeling invaded in their own home. The longer you bite your tongue and stew over something, the more you resent the guest in your home and the bigger deal it becomes.

One tactic to make it not feel like you are nit-picking the guest is to just drop it casually into a normal conversation. "We're going out to our friends' place for dinner tonight, so you'll have the place to yourself. Oh, by the way, could you please make sure to wipe down the countertop whenever you're finished in the kitchen- we get these little sugar ants moving in if the counter is left with any crumbs and stuff on it. Hey, did you have time to check out that nice little cafe I told you about?"

Slick.😊

Jo620
Level 4

@Sarah977 Thank you for your response.

I will certainly bear this in mind thank you. If I do take him on, I got to realize my routine will change slightly from week on week ,I have already said i will give him a trail  for 1 month.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Jo620 

I would be surprised if this person is not planning to have an overnight visitor who prefers to remain anonymous.

His “one day a week” plan is likely to cost more than it’s worth and block your calendar for guests who want a full week.

Jo620
Level 4

@Brian2036 Thanks for your comment, am trying to keep a positive feeling about this, I haven't got an issue with the person ,havent even met him yet, its more to do with my routine more than anything. I know what he looks like and got a good sense of judgement .Therefore I am giving him a trial run 1st for a month. I have told him as well. Have you done this? what is your experience?

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Jo620 

I haven’t done this so I can’t really say from experience.

Your instincts are your best guide, however, so you are wise to follow them.

If it seems workable after the first stay there will be some advantage in knowing that the guest is reliable and congenial for future stays.

Good luck, and I hope everything works out perfectly for you.