My first time Hosting was horrible

Luke186
Level 2
Portland, OR

My first time Hosting was horrible

I hosted my first guest yesterday and I can say I'm deeply Saddened from the experience. The guest tried to scam me and Airbnb support did absolutely nothing to help. My gut feeling was right about the relationship between a host and the billion dollar company. They don't care about the hosts. Well not a new host with out any ratings.

So now the experience. The person booked for one person and two showed up. I was like what do I do? I guess I'll let it slide. (My wife and I cleaned up for hours before they came. It was spotless.) I showed them my apartment and they liked it. I gave them the keys and left.5 minutes later they text me and tell me it's dirty and they are uncomfortable. I was like what? Well I can fix it quickly even though it was spotless. They said no and wanted a full refund. They casually mentioned I could just PayPal them the money outside Airbnb. No way. 

They weren't leaving until they got it they said. I told them I'll refund them what I got paid. No! Im not being out the fees Airbnb have. Well I'm not paying out of pocket. 

So I gave them the money because they threatened to give me a bad review.

9 Replies 9
Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Luke186 So sorry that this happened to you. Such guests are usually the exception, not the norm. Threats of a retaliatory review are against Airbnb policy. What happened when you called Customer Service? In future, if a guest shows up with someone not on the reservation, you can choose to add them to the reservation and charge them for it, or call Airbnb to have the stay cancelled and the guest will be asked to leave by Airbnb. Sadly, word seems to have gotten out that Airbnb supports guests to the point of allowing them to screw over the host with false claims designed to procure unwarranted refunds. So I am hearing about this happening more and more.

You should not have to refund these guests. If you can't find adequate help from Airbnb Customer Support, get on twitter's @Airbnbhelp and tell them what happened via a message. They seem to be able to help hosts when other customer support cannot. Protest any bad review you get and do not approve a refund. Best of luck!

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Luke  so sorry these folks scammed you. Sounds like they are looking for double monies. I'm sorry u gave them anything but the door out.  When they start with negative and u feel concerned....they will be a negative experience and bad review. Never any money transaction because u can get closed down quickly....so we can not be held hostage by guests.... don't bend rules and Always call Airbnb and let them deal with the guests. Make sure Airbnb know you gave them money back...cause they will be looking for money from Airbnb and so may be loosing money on this awful people. Iam so sorry. Clara

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Luke186 one more thing... anytime a guest threatens anything....call Airbnb....that is NOT tolerated.  Clara

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Luke186

scammers like new hosts, they know new hosts don't have experience to deal with them.

For the future:

- if more people then booked come to your door you don't have to let them in. Send them alteration request right in front of your house and wait until they confirm it and then let them in.

- it is smart to ask for photo ID all guests in the group during check in or before. Take a photo or write down their personal informations. You are allowed to do it if you have it in your house rules.

- If your guests want to cancel their reservation for whatever reason they can do it and will be refunded by airbnb according to your cancelation policy.  Do not cancel by yourself (call airbnb instead) and do not give them money out of airbnb. Remember - you will be paid 24 h after their check in, not before. Your guest now will be refunded 2x  , first you gave them money you didn't even receive and then they will be refunded from Airbnb too.

- if they threaten you with bad review or else you should contact Airbnb ASAP , flag their profile. -

- Find Airbnb phone no and have it on speed dial in your phone.

- If they canceled or Airbnb canceled reservation and your guests don't want to leave your property then you can call the police for trespassing.

Read CC forum and you will find a lot usefull informations for all kind of situations so you will be prepared if and when needed. I read it every day since we start hosting..... like some people read newspaper or facebook, and still learn or hear something new  and usefull

Jess78
Level 10
Eugene, OR

Oh man @Luke186 I’m so sorry about that happening to you. By the way, I looked at your listing and that place is gorgeous and definitely worth more than what you’re charging!

Total scammers and there are plenty out there in our part of the world who have figured out this system. I know you said you gave them the money— did you also get their payout so it was at least even, or were you scammed out of money? my response would have been for them to call Airbnb and deal with CS if they wanted to cancel their reservation.  I don’t fear bad reviews any more and certainly don’t let them hold you hostage. They know how the system works and were preying on new hosts because you didn’t. It’s disgusting. Air has *said* that they will eliminate a outlier review and back up hosts more, so I’m anxious to see that theory tested out. 

My advice:  if you live at the apartment you are renting out, this game just won’t be worth the hassle and stess for you. If I needed cash for school, id Uber before Airbnb. 

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Did they scam you ? If they cancel via Airbnb, they get their money back minus fee. Can't really see why someone would go to all the trouble of finding the place, meeting you etc and then leaving again. 

If you allow up to four people then anywhere from 1-4 people will show up, guests regularly book for 1 but mean 2 etc.

The building looks like a condo, do the HOA / lease allow Airbnb ? Maybe that's why they felt uncomfortable.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

So sorry this happened right out of the gate. 

It has happened to ALL hosts at one time or other, until we smarten up and get more experience.

Unfortunately, as a new host you have a large scarlet letter on your forehead "Gullible".

There are many scammers who look for this. 

In your desperation to become a "good" airbnb host, you did many wrong things. 

#1. You allowed entry of 2 guests, even though only 1 guest made the reservation.

You just said to the guest "Rules and agreements are not important. Just do what you want"

#2. You negotiated with terrorists. That is a no-win game. Paypal?  That is a reason to call Airbnb and            CANCEL them. Before you call Airbnb document the conversation in the message thread. "You have asked to cancel and want me to pay through paypal. Is that correct" (While scammers are too smart to commit in writing, at least you have it on paper)

There are many better guests. Good luck

Yulianna0
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

Luke@, I had exactly the same story in the beginning of my hosting experience. As soon as I decided to cancel their stay they started threatening me with review, then suggested to return money in cash, then told me that I’ll have to return 100%. Good for me that I can keep head cold. So everything finished well in my case. I wish you to be extra calm in such situations and immediately contact HC. Don’t talk, everything in writing. And no refunds. May be you still can cancel the payment for them? 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Luke186

Luke, immediately report this user and when you are asked for a reason by Trust and Safety, state the guest used extortion in order to get a personal refund outside the Airbnb system.

Luke profile.png

Luke, Airbnb will handle it from there....they don't take kindly to other people cutting their lunch!

So sorry this has happened to you Luke, but mate, I have hosted over 200 and never struck one like that and the chances of it happening again are near enough to zero......zippo!

Luke just one other thing, your reviews are showing a host cancellation. When that automated posting is put on your review page you will be offered the right to leave a public response as to why you cancelled that booking and that will appear directly below that cancellation notice. Make the most use of the public response because, we all know that sometimes hostings are not possible but, if you explain why it was not possible, future guets can be a bit more forgiving!

All the best Luke.

Cheers.....Rob