My friend has cancer. Can he smoke?

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

My friend has cancer. Can he smoke?

Is this an obnoxious request or am I being insensitive? I do not allow smoking anywhere on my property. There is a covered all weather porch with seating and even a TV and a yard. I can understand if they asked to smoke there. Put inside the house? Why can’t this friend step 1 foot outside? If the friend is so immobile from illness, why are they going on a trip? How are they going to get to the second-floor where the bedrooms are? If they’re smoking pot for medical purposes, there are also edibles. All in all, it feel like they are trying to use friends illness to get a benefit, sort of like a fake emotional support dog.

17 Replies 17
Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

@Inna22 

All I can say is this approach by the guest for your properties, is emotional blackmail, pure and simple. Nope, nein  & nyet! Don’t give an inch…….

However, due to having guests ignore my no smoking policy (any type including vaping or other e-cigarettes) we have discreet stickers on the external glass entry doors and in our courtyard. 

I always ask at check-in and if there is a smoker or not, state the only space is at the back corner of our backyard, “see the umbrella and chair, there is an enclosed ashtray that must be used and emptied. We cater for guests who can be sensitive to smoke, and as longtime reformed smokers, we can’t handle the smell either.”

@Cathie19 great idea to ask if they have smokers at check in

EB83ED7A-16A7-4F03-A5DB-C1C168C13696.jpeg
Cheers @Inna22! It’s very easy to make light of the situation, even joking that the child hasn’t taken up the bad habit when they say nobody smokes… smile wide…. cough cough. It lets them know you may be on their side, but only under specific criteria and conditions. I’d rather create a distant designated area than deal with the sneaking around and stench and cleaning. I’ve had what I would call chain smokers sitting at the little table with a lantern left on it for night or pre-dawn use. I also leave a small torch in each bedroom so they can find their way to the table, once the solar garden lighting dies off….