My guest has smoked in my non-smoking house.

Amy24
Level 1
Birmingham, United Kingdom

My guest has smoked in my non-smoking house.

THey have now checked out but I"m not sure what to do.  I have other guests arriving soon and the room smells terrible.  What recourse do I have?

39 Replies 39

How do you ask for security deposit? 

Maxine0
Level 10
Brighton, United Kingdom

Hi Amy

Try burning scented candles. Yankee candles are really good. You can also buy ones specifically designed to kill tobbacco smoke. Mention in your review of the guest that they smoked in your strictly non smoking house. And state the same in your airbnb feedback.

Its a pain going through resolution and if the guest refuses to pay a smoking fine / extra cleaning or denies smoking, it wont go anywhere

I would say buy an Ozonator.   In my experience using them, they're the best to neutralize the smell, and much better than working to cover the smell.  Can also clean the walls with a light vinegar solution. 

Best of luck!  

I have purchased this one.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JAP7388/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looks like there are more models out now, and even more reasonable prices.  

Be aware, of course, that Ozone is harmful if breathed in directly for more than a second, and it is also harmful to plants and animals.  

I have lots of house plants, so I simply move them to other rooms.  Ozone is heavy, so it tends to stay low in the room, and or you have to wait until it builds up to the top of the room.  But it generally works quite well, imho.  

Ozone is extremely agressive. It damages rubber and plastic and a bunch of other stuff. It's basically a gas form of oven cleaner (lye) or bleach.

Lumduan0
Level 1
New York, NY

My terms of the Rental Agreement are explicitly clear. No smoking. In blatant violation of this very reasonable stipulation, the guests elected to smoke in my apartment. I am going to have a very hard time getting this stench out of my furniture and clothing.

Additionally, they also broke my Starbucks cup that I brought home as a valued and highly sentimental souvenir from my vacation with my parents to Paris.

It is guests like these who make vacation rentals stressful. It is quite a simple request, not to smoke in somebody's apartment. Do they really think they can have a few cigarettes and it will not be noticeable? For non smokers, this stink is unbearable. They might as well defecate on the carpet while they are at it. Such disrespect comes at a price.

I shall have to withhold the entire sum of their security deposit to cover in depth cleaning to eradicate the smell of tobacco. Many of my valued long term repeat guests are especially grateful to have a classy and relaxing place in the city to enjoy during their visits that does not smell like an old ashtray.
Lucas92
Level 3
Geneva, Switzerland

I have addressed several emails to Airbnb to ask what the process and compensation is - I still have not gotten a response.

This is unacceptable!!

I have 2 young children and need to now suffer the smell of old smoke and Airbnb pretends it does not happen.

Airbnb: wake-up!! Take responsability!! Find a solution - this is a HUGE problem.

In your smoke-free rentals, do you have posted signs or "house rules" that state a cleaning fee will be assessed if a guest does smoke within the property? We're smoke-free and guests are partaking on the porch; it worries me that it's only time before someone lights up inside the property. What's a fair cleaning fee to state to violators? Thanks!

@Chandra-And-Dave0

You can put anything you like in your rules, but be aware your chances of collecting are minimal so I would go with something sizable but not draconian, you are trying to scare them.

David

Honestly - this is a case where Airbnb let's us suffer, as home owners.

It's a case of 'I'm not sure what to do - so as Airbnb I pretend this is not an issue'.

Morally - this is part of what makes Airbnb such a vacuous company...

When you have a beautiful home with high end finishes / fixtures - I don't believe Airbnb is the solution...

Have you ever received a reply as of yet?

@Lucas92 wrote:

I have addressed several emails to Airbnb to ask what the process and compensation is - I still have not gotten a response.

This is unacceptable!!

I have 2 young children and need to now suffer the smell of old smoke and Airbnb pretends it does not happen.

Airbnb: wake-up!! Take responsability!! Find a solution - this is a HUGE problem.

Raquel140
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Same issue here.. my guest smokes in the house despite strict non-smoking rules.

I already have taken photos of their cigarettes in multiple places in the house and a full ashtray on the balcony.

Do I need more proof to ensure I can claim professional cleaning fees to remove affected furniture/carpets (stink horrible) especially given the fact this is a BRAND new appartment and may be ruined for the next few visits.

@Raquel140

Certainly would not be wise to assume you can recover additional cleaning costs.

You might want to specify which Airport you are 9 minutes from, not sure most people visiting London would assume London City.

David

Get a quote from ozone cleaning company.  They probably won’t cover all but at least part will be good.  

Christoph108
Level 2
Larnaca, Cyprus

I have this problem after renovation with the first guest. I am so frustrated. All new furniture, Carpets etc. all smells like hell 😞

Heidi263
Level 1
Red Bluff, CA

Air BnB really let us down in this department.  I have it stated in my house rules that drugs and smoking are not allowed in the home and any violation will result in a $500.00 fine.  I also have the deposit option selected on my listing, with the dollar amount set at $1000.00.  I thought we were pretty well protected.  I was wrong.

I had someone rent my house for almost a week who used it as a marijuana processing facility. There were packaging materials left behind along with marijuana found in my home. This is a riverfront property with high end furnishings.  

I contacted the guest to resolve, with no success.  The guest admitted the accusations, but his response was "last time I checked marijuana was legal."

I took the complaint to air bnb, along with the photographs I took of the marijuana and packaging materials.  My Air BnB case agent said it's the "cost of doing business."  

My entire house reeks of marijuana.  Still. We've cleaned it from top to bottom and replaced all of the bedding, but the house still smells.  Our next guests who checked in complained also about the smell.  All of this was documented in secure AirBnB messages.

We've been hosting for 7 months and this was our first time taking something to AirBnB for assistance.

I'm very disappointed in how Air BnB has handled this.  Be forwarned, they don't care about their hosts.