My guest just asked me for painkillers...

Sara-and-Brian0
Level 3
México D.F., Mexico

My guest just asked me for painkillers...

They haven't been out of their room and are local and now just asked me for painkillers. I called airbnb support and they said there's nothing I should do. Thoughts?

46 Replies 46
Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Yick....

I assume we're not talking aspirin or motrin.

How long will they be there?

If a long time, entice them to leave. Shut down your wifi.

Offer money. Invite your police friends to visit.

I was really confused. I asked him, "are you okay?!" He said his head hurts. I then told him I had Tylenol and he did take that, but I got the feeling when he said "painkillers" he meant "painkillers". I should've asked him to clarify...

They are here for one more night. Four total. They haven't left their room to my knowledge and I'm worried they're not eating. Airbnb support told me there's nothing I can do and some people are different... 

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I keep Asprin to hand.

David
Kenneth12
Level 10
Chicago, IL

I keep aspirin,  ibuprofin and naproxen sodium in the medicine cabinet.  Are you implying that they wanted something else?

Hi Kenneth. Yes, he said painkillers and I'm pretty sure that's what he meant.

Filippo91
Level 1
Victoria, Australia

Hi Guys, I just had a similar problem. What's the support phone number you called? 

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Sara-and-Brian0Painkillers???? and local people - why did you rent to locals???? something odd here.

And I would say if you do have painkillers of the prescription type - lock em up or take em with you when you leave.

I think I would also invite my police friends to come for coffee. 

How long are they staying???

keep us posted this is curious for sure.

Best Regards and happy hosting, Clara

Hi Clara, thanks for your helpful comments!

We have instant book, but I really want to cancel any future reservations from locals. Hopefully Airbnb will back me up if/when that comes. I thought it was strange, too.

@Sara-and-Brian0, I host locals on occasion. One of the first things I look at is where they live. (I have IB, too). If they live local, I politely ask them why they want to be a guest when they live in my neighborhood. I get responses like I'm meeting my boyfriend and he can't stay at my parents house because it is crowded.(They were adults). I prepared myself for a love shack weekend during their stay. They ended up being ver polte. They even bought me a bottle of wine. But I definitely screen locals and if it doesn't feel or sound right, I call Airbnb and have them cancel due to feeling uncomfortable. It does not count against you.

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Sara-and-Brian0 Hey one more thing  - your listing is really beautiful!!! I know you didn't ask but one thing that stuck out to me and gave me RED FLAGS regarding security was putting your schedule out there so public - with exact dates and times of check in and when you are gone - I might be just over cautious but there are some folks that might use this info for not just check in and scheduling. plus theres the photo of front of house (lovely). 

So this is all meant with only the kindest of intentions - and if you think ridiculous - just ignore me.

just my 3 cents......Best, Clara

Yes, I agree! But I really like to meet people when they check in because it provides both parties with a better sense of security but at the same time listing when we're home/not is definitely not safe... I'll talk to my husband and try to think of a solution. I should delete the front house photo! 

Thanks again, Clara.

I've updated! Figured out we could do either self-check in or we will be home. Thanks so much!

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Sara-and-Brian0 I would be cautious about providing anyone with any medication, even over the counter stuff. Here in Canada we're actually not allowed to do it: it's a big no-no. You're not allowed to provide it in a first aid kit either. I wouldn't be providing them with anything; between them being local, the request for painkillers, and not emerging from their room, it sounds like it could be a sketchy situation.

Hey Alexandra,

Perhaps I should've double checked before giving them OTC stuff, but I believe here in the states it's okay. 

It is definitely a strange situation. I want to give them a bad review to warn others, but don't want a bad review myself...