My guest wants to change their review.

Nanette1
Level 2
Manila, Philippines

My guest wants to change their review.

Hi Everyone! I have an interesting situation. I had a few guests, who enjoyed their stay. But when my guest wrote his review, said that there were problems with the Wi-Fi. Our Wi-Fi is our main selling point, since we have one of the fastest connections in Manila. So I asked the guest about the problems he encountered.

He told me that we advertised 300Mbps internet connection, but he only received 30Mbps (Which is still very high considering that 10Mbps is already "high-speed" in the Philippines), but nevertheless - he was happy with the Wi-Fi. I informed him that it's standard practice that you advertise the maximum Wi-Fi speed. That's why we advertise our listing as "UP TO 300MBPS Wi-Fi" (This is the same thing internet companies do). You can see the entire conversation on the attached photos.

Now, our guest wants to change his review. Is there any way this can be done? original
Airbnb Guest 2

10 Replies 10
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Nanette1 

ones the review is published your guest can not change it any more. But you can write an answer on his review where you can explain the wifi situation on Philipines, just be as short and clear as possible.

Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

Why not just make your listing more simplier and transparent by advertising your typical internet speed.

It may prevent some future problem further down the line.

I see you are being defensive in replying to your guest, perhaps this is a consequence of hiding behind this 'standard practice' advertising used by providers.

Just be more honest about the speed, you are making problems for yourself that don't exist. Going by your reviews, your guests seem generally content about your place.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

>>That's why we advertise our listing as "UP TO 300MBPS Wi-Fi" (This is the same thing internet companies do)<<

But unlike internet companies, you'll want to be much more transparent and truthful. 

Hilary-And-Ed0
Level 10
Brookline, MA

I would suggest advertising the actual speed, not some theoretical possibility.

If you have both posted reviews, they can not be changed.  If only he has reviewed you, and it is not yet public, then he has two weeks, or until you post yours to change it.

@Hilary-And-Ed0

Even if you advertised the actual speed, you might not get that if users are using it during peak hours, or your devices can't handle that speed (older computers/devices) or interference. There are a lot of things involve that determines the speed of your internet. 

My guest have the same question when i show them my devices go beyond 100mbps advertised on my listing but he is only getting 30mbps on his device.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Nanette1

It is a stupid complaint....most places on earth would love to have 30Mps but Nanette you are your own worst enemy here! Why would you even hint at something that cannot in practice be acheived.

There is not going to be a guest who requires faster than 30 Mps, and that is achieveable, so why would you want to advertise some totally outrageous speed that you know yourself is not practically possible.

Yeah it's a stupid complaint but you can't blame him for making it....if you hadn't put the idea in his mind, he never would have made it.

That's a bit like advertising your apartment as having 12 bedrooms when there are in fact 12 bedrooms in the complex of which your apartment has only 2.

Sorry Nanette, sympathy for you here is going to be extremely limited, change you listing to reflect your realistic WiFi speed and you won't get complaints like this!

Now that both reviews have been posted neither can be altered or deleted and I can't see ABB taking action to allow him to make a correction....what he found and mentioned to you was exactly what he got...the only misrepresentation was by you!

Cheers....Rob

Sorry, i disagree with the rest of the poster here. As an IT person, i know full well there are a lot of things in place to achieve the internet speed as advertised. Even your devices play a roles. If your devices only can handle 30mbps speed then you will only get 30mbps. It is the same example with car and highway. The highway allows you to drive up to 300km/h but your car maximum speed is only 30km/h. Other scenarios ie weather and road condition take into consideration. In terms of wifi, there are interference, traffic during peak hours and etc. What i would do is, i will mentioned that internet is 300mbps but speed varies depending on devices. 

As for review that is up, you are out of luck on that. You can however response back to your guest with your listing showing the speed varies. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Kenneth18

You miss the point entirely here Kenneth....her WiFi does 30Mps but she advertises it at 300Mps! It's got nothing to do with what her equipment handles, it's what she advertises it handles that is the problem!

Cheers.....Rob

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

>>What i would do is, i will mentioned that internet is 300mbps but speed varies depending on devices<<

You'd be guilty of giving duff info too. And the fact that I work for a telephone/internet company makes no difference whatsoever. 

@Robin4

Well then we got to start suing those car manufacturer that advertised their max speed on their car because most likely none of us ever obtain that speed limit.