My guests have lost my front door keys

Answered!
Ann13
Level 2
Bath, United Kingdom

My guests have lost my front door keys

My guests have lost my front door keys.

This is very annoying because the main front door is used by 5 flats and I am worried about the loss of the key into my front door.

They are due to leave tomorrow how can I get them to pay for everything?

1 Best Answer
Christine1
Level 10
Glenbrook, Australia

@Ann13,

The security of your other guests is  your priority and something that may require an alternative long term solution.

Some guests don't feel comfortable with the knowlege that the front door security has been compromised. It's the perception of increased risk that disturbs them both from a personal safety standpoint and the security of their valuables which they travel with. Have a think about the options available to you for a system that will prevent this being an issue in future.

Sincere regards, Christine.

View Best Answer in original post

14 Replies 14
Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

Make a claim via the resolution center. You have to specify the costs. Do you only want to replace the keys or change the lock?

The guest then can either simply accept the claim and money is transferred from their card to your account very fast. Or they contest it or don't answer, in this case you can ask airbnb to mediate. 

Best to have an exchange about the missing keys on the message thread. 

You have 48 hours after departure to make the claim and 72 hours to involve airbnb. 

In this situation, discuss the keys now via the message thread, like; you are very worried, did they look everywhere, no idea where they lost it? If they answer or don't answer with "we never lost any keys", you have indirect proof. 

Joseph0
Level 5
San Francisco, CA

@Ann13

Do you have a lost keys policy in your house rules or listing ? It can help you if you do . Otherwise you may not be able to make a full claim other the the cost of a new set of keys . 

I have a Lost Key Disclaimer in my listing and House rules . If you lost the keys to my Home , you will be charged for the entire replacement of locks and or the cost of rekeying of the locks . Its a considerable amount , but I will not have a set of guest keys missing and not knowing where they went to . 

In the past , lost keys have lead to homes being robbed because the Guest before was casing the house and used the lost key story to 

keep the keys to reenter the home when the owner was away !!

So I advise you to be very cautious about lost key issues and explain it to your guests upon arrival that they are fully responsible for lost keys and associated fees .

Nancy2
Level 6
Sacramento, CA

I'm in the States so maybe it's different here.  For the first time I had guests lose my front door keys.  They think they lost them in the Uber they took to my house.  They tried contacting them but with an international phone number they never got a response.

My set of keys do not have my address on them.  My guests were from Mexico City.  I decided I'm not worried about someone, somehow figuring out that they go to my house and breaking in.  I have no idea how anyone would make the connection (possibly the the Uber driver but I trust them as I would an Airbnb host).  My guests moved on the next day.

I made 5 sets of keys at the beginning assuming this would happen.  So no door lock changes, no charge to my guest...  I know all will be fine with no need to worry....

Ann13
Level 2
Bath, United Kingdom

Nancy, thank you for the reasuring reply!  Of course one is worroed a little about the 'burglary' aspect but my guests would eb very foolish if that was the case as I would tell the police immediatley.

I have someone asking me for a 220 US dollars for lost keys in Montevideo , incredible!!! I dont understand, there should be a maximun amount that someone can ask you for something like that, she is even claiming she had the keys there of her mother, the neighbor, the sister... This is the first time something like this happens to me.  

Christine1
Level 10
Glenbrook, Australia

@Ann13,

The security of your other guests is  your priority and something that may require an alternative long term solution.

Some guests don't feel comfortable with the knowlege that the front door security has been compromised. It's the perception of increased risk that disturbs them both from a personal safety standpoint and the security of their valuables which they travel with. Have a think about the options available to you for a system that will prevent this being an issue in future.

Sincere regards, Christine.

Jenny127
Level 1
Waterloo, Canada

I am a new host and my 3rd guest has left with my key. I am having had a hard time getting it back and communicating with the guest. I have contacted airbnb the day of checkout in order to have my case looked at in the results of taking the deposit from the guest.

The security of my house has been affective and my locks and keys are unique and take 3 weeks to get new locks and keys ordered. Airbnb has taken my case but have not heard back from them in a week, despite me calling over and over. I thought this would be addressed immediatly as I am unable to sleep at home knowing that someone has my key.

I was looking for their help in order to get my keys and lock charges covered but have not gotten a response in regards to having it covered, in order to get the locks ordered.

@Jenny127,

Hi Jenny, golly gosh, the potholes that we sometimes fall into. We can hear that you are distressed, and somewhat surprised as this was not something that you seem to have expected. Sorry about that.

This is quite a common thing for guests to do, because they put keys in their pockets or wallets to keep them safe, and not loose them. If hosting, then it's only a matter of time before it happens with one or more guests. 

Type in the word "keys" you will see how many discussions have already occured on this hot topic. You will see lots of ideas as well, and possible solutions for the future. [eg.go to > https://community.airbnb.com/t5/New-Hosts/took-my-key/m-p/193343#M18631 ]

If you can continue try to contact your guest via phone, skype whatsApp or Airbnb email, Guests may be better placed than Airbnb to help you sooner. If it is an accidental removal of the key, then your guests are not going to re-use it or pass it one. Send a message perhaps and ask them to dispose of it. It's not safe to post it! get spares cut if that's the type of key you use, or invest in one of the new automatic locks recommended by other hosts.

If your guest has gone home to another country, it is highly unlikely that your home security is at risk, perhaps this is some comfort. 

best regards, Christine.

Guests of mine stole a set of keys which it cost me 300 Euros to replace (security keys).  

Airbnb are refusing to pay for them althought I have provided 2 bills covering a previous incident and detailing the exact cost of keys and the cost of just having had to replace them. I have spent hours on the phone to them, paid employees to deliver/collect the keys.  

We have previously had keys go missing and subseuqently had a series of break ins (someone let themselves in..). Despite that, ABNB Trust & Safety said it wasn't necessary to change the locks!  

Has anybody else had such an experience.  I am personally losing faith in ABNB and the control they have over your business is unacceptable, their terms and conditions unfair.

Really? You must have documentary evidence they keys were lost (text messages or airbnb messages) and invoices?

Did you have a security deposit policy, if not is that why they are refusing to pay for this?

Lost keys are expensive and overall a huge hassle.  It's up to the owner to foresee this problem and make replacing the keys as easy as possible but it will always come with a cost.

Obviously you have to replace all 5 or 6 original keys not just the ones they lost so yes I can imagine the fee is up in the 300 euros.

Well perhaps you should take more care of keys.  Owners charge what it costs them for keys PLUS perhps the time it takes an employee to go back and forth orgasing them!

Pat344
Level 2
Boston, MA

I misplaced the key to the AIRBNB guest house I stayed at in Los Angeles. I looked everywhere for the key the day before and the day of my departure and ended up getting to the gate 5 minutes before my plane departed. When I arrived home, I sent the host an email telling her that I misplaced the key. Later that morning, I received a message from the host stating that if I did not find the key, she would charge me for rekeying the lock. I replied that I would look through my stuff and asked if she could look around the couch. The next day, I found the key and send her two messages through AIRBNB as well as a text message stating that I had found the key. I received a message from the host 48 hours later stating that she rekeyed the lock the same day I checked out. Four days later I received a request for $175 to cover the cost of rekeying the lock. Mind you, even though she stated that she would provide one, there was no backup receipt stating when the lock was changed or the cost of rekeying the lock. Further, she has not had guests in her house since I checked out. I LOVED the guest house, it was the best AIRBNB I've rented and still intend to give her an awesome review. But the fact that the host (a) did not give me at least 24 hours to find the key and (b) waited 4 days to send me a request to pay her $175 to rekey the lock is unfair. 

I'm sorry this happened to you.

Perhaps that host had a guest arriving same day or next day and had to replace the lock immediately at a huge inconvenience to her or a large expense for paying her property manager to do it.

At the same time, by the time you found the keys, she had already contracted someone to replace the lock and the expense was surely at least 175 euros maybe more.  

Who, in your opinion, should have to dole out that 175 euros?

Owners replace keys for security reasons. Full stop.  Someone misplaced one of our keys once.  We had THREE subsequent break ins.  Is this thread here to allow people to let off a bit of steam? It doesn't seem to be offering anything particular constructive?  Perhaps not having combed through messages I am missing something.  I was emailed so replied..Look after keys is my only advice.