My guests stole from me

Ashley172
Level 2
Norcross, GA

My guests stole from me

We are relatively new hosts and have had pretty positive experiences until this weekend.   We had a local guy  (on a second profile) book for 2 nights.  He brought a female companion along.  We caught her smoking on multiple occasions, even though this is clearly against our rules and is clearly posted in our ad, in our manual, and on the wall. But anyway, we didn't say anything about it because we didn't want to motivate them to hide inside our home while smoking instead of just violating the rules and smoking outside.  

Then when we checked the place out after they left we noticed several items missing - mostly towels and wash cloths, but also a laundry basket.   So it's not like they accidentally picked up a couple of things...this had to be intentional.   Airbnb is recommending that I go through the resolution center and request the money to reimburse me for the replacement cost of the items.  They assured me on the phone they would delete any revenge based review he might post, but I am concerned about it since we are new hosts and every review feels so important at this stage.

Am I shooting myself in the foot by requesting reimbursement?  Is airbnb likely to back me?

22 Replies 22
Maria758
Level 9
Washington, DC

Hola @

I’m sorry you are having such an undesirable experience. 

We have been hosting since October 2016 and we think Airbnb is an excellent platform for travel and alternative lodging. It’s a great way to get that “local” experience and a wonderful way to share your home with like-minded “strangers,” at least when it comes to the sharing economy.  I hope you will not let this experience discourage you from continuing to host.

The steps you took, after this incident, was great.  Unfortunately, I didn’t see an article from Airbnb about filing a claim for stolen items, only broken, but I am determined to find it.  What I can assist you with, is how to help prevent this from happening again in the future and possibly increasing your likelihood of getting restoration if it happens again.

It’s okay!  Count this as a small loss and just think of all the new revenue you will receive because you are going to continue to be an amazing host and get so many bookings, you’ll get to buy million-thread count linens (I’m exaggerating, but you get it).

In our experience, we haven’t had any items stolen, but we have had some items lost or broken.  The guests were nice enough to offer to pay us back, but you will not always have guests that will be as understanding.  After a few incidents like this, we decided to put a “Security Deposit” on our listing.  It’s not as bad as it sounds, and it’s a “necessary evil” that will provide you with protection.  “Super” guests will understand and still book. 

Here is a link that explains https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/140/how-does-airbnb-handle-security-deposits  How does Airbnb handle security deposits?

We usually accept almost every reservation request, providing they meet our “Booking Requirements.”  Luckily, Airbnb’s “Instant Booking” process helps with this.  You can change your requirements to fit your needs.  We require the Airbnb Standard Requirements and we also require a Government-Issued ID verification.  You can also require Recommendation from other hosts. 

Here is a link for more info:  https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1353/how-do-i-choose-who-can-instant-book-my-place

Another thing we like to look out for when confirming a booking is “local guests.”  When I first started Airbnb, I read somewhere that be cautious of these types of requests.  It’s very suspicious that someone “local” would request to book at a local location.  I have had a handful of requests and I was glad I followed that practice.  One guest was coming for a court order (don’t judge me) and another was looking to open his open Airbnb in the same town.  I didn’t mind that too much, I’ve actually been helping him and answering his questions ever since, but that experience was rare. 

Also, usually these guests were missing one, or more, Standard Airbnb requirements and/or Government-Issued ID.  I am honest with these guests as to why I didn’t accept their booking and usually, they end up not pursuing further.

Finally, my number one piece of advice for preventative measures is communication.  I am very active in communicating with my guests.  I have Saved Messages/Templates already in place so I can send them my regular questions prior to booking and answer the most common guest questions quickly and easily.

I have Saved Messages in place already so if you need help, send me a message and I’d be happy to share them with you.

Hope this is helpful!  Let me know if you have any more questions, happy to help!

Happy Hosting!

Izzie, Co-Host

LOV Puerto Rico

Also, regarding your 2nd half of the question, "Am I shooting myself in the foot by requesting reimbursement?  Is airbnb likely to back me?"

I am going through a little dilema myself with a guest that disagrees with a review I posted of their experience, and our experience because it goes both way, and, because I mad sure to follow Airbnb policies and standards, they have shown me support and even offered to speak wtih the guests regarding the situation.  They are amazing!  You just have to follow the policies set in place for EVERYONE'S protection.

I just read this article that states, "It's no exaggeration to say that reviews are the glue that keeps the sharing economy together, instilling a potentially chaotic or unpredictable process with a sense of humanity and order. Reviews are what separate Airbnb from Craigslist." - Seth Porges, FORBES CONTRIBUTOR

I think as hosts, and guests, we always have to remember, although we are offering our homes, we are offering it to guests, and our guests should be treated with compassion - always.  If you don't care about your guests, you shouldn't be hosting.

Grant it, I haven't had to write too many bad reviews, but in the instances I have, I have a formula for when I do.  

1. I open it on a positive note (i.e. "The guests' communicated well prior to check-in.")  

2. Then I go into the bad (i.e. Unfortunately, it seems a few items were missing after the guests' had checked out, as we have not had any other persons enter the apartment after they checked out.  We have been unable to contact them directly to confirm this, but are happy to resolve the issue provided the guests contact us direct, or through Airbnb.  Additionally, rules were broken during their stay, which were posted on our listing."  

3. Finally, I also like to end it on a good note, even if it's hard, try (i.e. Although some of the house rules were broken, they had great communication in the beginning of their stay.  I hope they continue to travel to new destinations and if they decide to continue to use Airbnb as a source for alternative lodging, I would suggest to possible future hosts, that you provide them with easy access to the House Manual, and House Rules, so this does not happen again.")

When writing the review, or any review, always be sure to adhere to the Airbnb policies.  If you’re not sure about something, ask, or don’t include it at all.  Here is a link: How do Reviews Work.

I think there is a positive way to be honest, even with a negative experience, without sounding rude.  I also like to remember that these reviews are for future hosts and guest, and I would hate to give hosts a false expectation of my personal guest experiences, as well, I don't want future guests to perceive us as insensitive.

Just as guests rely on these reviews, hosts very much rely on these reviews to determine if guests inquiring will be a good fit for their home. 

Hope this was also helpful!

Happy Hosting!

Izzie, Co-Host

LOV Puerto Rico

Hi there, Izzie,

I was looking for some information about security deposits when I read this posting.  You mentioned you have a set of questions you ask prospective guests before booking.  Would you mind sharing them with me?

Julia

Hello, Thanks for your great tips.

I am new and in the process of delisting my property for a lower level efficiency (No kitchen but frig/water cooller and  microwave) rental. 

I would like a copy of your "Saved Messages/Templates already in place so I can send them my regular questions prior to booking and answer the most common guest questions quickly and easily." Please send to [Personal information hidden as per the community guidelines] 

Thanks so much. Looking to kick off next mtg. Thanks for the great advice. 

Hi thanks for your helpful information could you please send me your questions I’m new host and need to know what is important to asking them.

Heyy there, I would definitely need help with that, can you please send them to me?

I currently have a local guest who instantly booked a room in my shared apartment, and I will be traveling on the same dates, so at the moment, I'm scared of them stealing things without me noticing it or damaging things or entering my room, they have all the basic airbnb requirements, however I'm still worried as of what to do to avoid such a situation, should I trust them or cancel this booking until at least when I'm home and available to host.

Thank you 🙂

Hi Izzie,

I’m thinking of having an Airbnb at my house. Can you send me the pre-screening questions you have? 
Thank so much!

*sensitive information hidden*

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

My expectation is that you will have to eat the cost.

You can certainly request money through AirBnB but is it likely that the guest will pay?

Do you have a police report, what evidence is there that the Guests stole the items?

David

Here's an update.  I did what airbnb suggested and filed against the rented in the resolutions center. He responded within the hour stating the items were removed by mistake.  He was apologetic and sent the money.  He also left a positive review.  I wouldn't expect this to be the outcome every time,  but I was very fortunate.

@Ashley172

A happy ending to what could have otherwise been an even greater disaster.  I'm so glad things worked out for you.

This is another reason why I try to keep my reviews, honest, but positive.  Too often do we like to "jump to conclusions" and fail to give humans the "benefit of the doubt."  I am also guilty of this at times.  

I totally learned a leasson in this story!  So glad things worked out.  ^_^

Happy Hosting!

Izzie, Co-Host

LOV Puerto Rico

test

Elizabeth469
Level 2
Bethesda, MD

However, we were so busy (with two rentals in our home) that we didn't discover the missing towel/washcloth until later when we were doing laundry and the second set was a single, not a double! Another time someone took my three-ring binder that had the best local restaurant menus and an assortment of tourist information (we live in the Washington DC suburbs). We just chalked it up to "the cost of doing business" but it really surprised me, because I trusted everyone!  Elizabeth and Rob, Bethesda, MD

Julie713
Level 2
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico

Just chiming in--I think Airbnb will support what they tell you, but best to have any communication documented just to aid the process. They have backed me in the past with some stuff.

I had guests that I booked privately damage things and steal really weird stuff from me, like Hershey's syrup (3 bottles) and expensive toothpaste! And maybe a yoga mat, not sure! And they damaged an expensive electric tea kettle, and took a trash can (they had a party which was allowed).

I bugged the guy for at least a month but he did eventually put $100 in my account, as requested. The other items I noticed later on, I can't REALLY prove it (but who else would come in my house and take these things! No one!) but it bugs me still! The good thing about Airbnb is people do have the threat of a bad review, but often you don't realize something little (but annoying and really uncool) until later. I've had other guests tell me they broke a wine glass, could they replace it, they ruined a rug, could they replace it, etc. Very appropriate ettiquette and I always so no, as they are minor things and cost of doing business AND they did the right thing and said something to me privately. 

AirBnB are a bunch of scum bags.  I found a laptop missing between rentals.  I did not report it missing right then and there because I wanted to make sure it was not left somewhere else like work or my girlfriends house before I report it.  So the rental that left Friday, where I discovered the laptop missing, was replaced by a guest that afternoon.  On Saturday morning My girlfriend tells me the laptop is not at here house and I couldn’t find it anywhere else, so now I definitely know it was stolen.  I report it to AirbnB and they tell me I took too long to report the laptop missing because another rental had taken place since I discovered the laptop missing.  I explain I told them Saturday because that was the day I confirmed it missing but knew about it Friday morning.  They didn’t care.  

These people don’t care if your house burns down as long as they get their cut.  Very scummy people