My guests stole from me

Ashley172
Level 2
Norcross, GA

My guests stole from me

We are relatively new hosts and have had pretty positive experiences until this weekend.   We had a local guy  (on a second profile) book for 2 nights.  He brought a female companion along.  We caught her smoking on multiple occasions, even though this is clearly against our rules and is clearly posted in our ad, in our manual, and on the wall. But anyway, we didn't say anything about it because we didn't want to motivate them to hide inside our home while smoking instead of just violating the rules and smoking outside.  

Then when we checked the place out after they left we noticed several items missing - mostly towels and wash cloths, but also a laundry basket.   So it's not like they accidentally picked up a couple of things...this had to be intentional.   Airbnb is recommending that I go through the resolution center and request the money to reimburse me for the replacement cost of the items.  They assured me on the phone they would delete any revenge based review he might post, but I am concerned about it since we are new hosts and every review feels so important at this stage.

Am I shooting myself in the foot by requesting reimbursement?  Is airbnb likely to back me?

22 Replies 22

Hmmm, I just wrote out a long account of how they have totally let me down, too, to the tune of more than $800, but when I published my reply, "something went wrong" and the draft was deleted. So, I tried a test message (above). Funny enough, that went through.

Wow. I'm getting SO frustrated with AirBnB...

That happens on this forum, especially when you compose a long post. What those of us who are familiar with the glitchiness do is try to remember to copy the post before hitting Reply, so if it disappears into cyberspace, you can just pàste it into and new message box and hit Reply.

@Tara275

Julie713
Level 2
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico

Just chiming in--I think Airbnb will support what they tell you, but best to have any communication documented just to aid the process. They have backed me in the past with other issues/bad guests/a dispute.

I had guests that I booked privately damage things and steal really weird stuff from me, like Hershey's syrup (3 bottles) and expensive toothpaste! And maybe a yoga mat, not totally sure about that. And they damaged an expensive electric tea kettle, and took a trash can (they had a party which was allowed).

I bugged the guy for at least a month but he did eventually put $100 in my account, as requested. The other items I noticed later on, I can't REALLY prove it (but who else would come in my house and take these things! No one!) but it bugs me still! The good thing about Airbnb is people do have the threat of a bad review, but often you don't realize something little (but annoying and really uncool) until later. I've had other guests tell me they broke a wine glass, could they replace it, they ruined a rug, could they replace it, etc. Very appropriate ettiquette and I always so no, as they are minor things and cost of doing business AND they did the right thing and said something to me privately. 

Finally, I only put a damage deposit on my main/high priced house since I feel it's something that is off-putting to potential renters, and I don't have that much to lose in my more simple rentals. It's something to consider. I keep it simple to attract rentals.

I’m confused as to how a company who prides itself on its community can go back on its host guarantee promise? I had multiple thousands of dollars worth of items stolen from a locked closet by an airBnB guest.  My claim was denied because there “wasn’t enough evidence.” How about the stuff was there before the guest and it wasn’t there after.... I’m beyond disappointed in this community and I will not be using this app anymore. 

We had a brand new laptop stolen while two sets of guests were staying with us. I reached out to the guests for information. One responded the second I sent my message. The others never responded. The one who responded new nothing and then gave a poor review. Airbnb was of no help. You cannot have strangers in your home without their financial information. Airbnb will not protect you. $800 lost is a lot of bookings. This is our last year with Air.

Kris3394
Level 2
Lake Munmorah, Australia

I have been robbed by last guest . 
I’m devastated- so much gone

kitchen items - bowls , plates , cups , knives & heaps of utensils 

linen - sheets , Dona cover & towels 

oil melt burner & books so much stuff 

she even tried too steal our clothes 

@Kris3394 Do let us know how you get on with the new Aircover from Airbnb. I assume you have a crime number from the police?

@Kris3394  I'm very sorry this happened to you. Did you report this to the police? Have you made a claim with Airbnb?

I notice that you seldom review your guests and that the guests who left really bad reviews, who I assume were awful guests and are probably lying in their reviews, you did not leave a review for.

Do you understand that if you don't leave reviews to warn other hosts about guests like that, thieving guests like you had just get passed around and continue to do these things because hosts aren't leaving honest reviews?