My host guarantee experiment

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

My host guarantee experiment

I guest stayed Saturday night and checked out New Year’s eve. The scene at checkout was scary. How does one break a bed in half?? At least I knew how the ripped the leather on the chairs- using a hook of a hanger. Everything combined, there was a few thousands worth of damage. Furthermore, I had only 5 hours to remedy most as another guest was moving in. Even though I have read enough about host guarantee to know not to waste my time, I thought I would try it for myself once. Just so I have a story to tell. As if I don't have enough host stories already. I do have a $600 security deposit but it was obviously not enough to cover the damage.

They split my case in two. One was for all fees- smoking remediation, moving the furniture, etc. That one got denied pretty quickly on the grounds that they "did not like the invoice". Just did not like it. End of story. My repeated requests to find out what would they like to see were just not answered. 

The second part was for the actual items, handled by a different person. The types of requests I got could be a chapter in a book. "An invoice from a licensed chair repair person for the cost of repair and explanation from the licensed individual as to how the guest is at fault". As you can imagine, there is no licensure in chair repairship (is that what it would have been called if existed?). And I actually double checked on that. Also, obviously this individual would not have had a clue as to how it was the guest's fault because he/she was not there. Clearly, these requests are designed for you to not be able to comply. But guess what? I got them every last ridiculous piece of paper! If you are wondering how I dealt with the chairs, I found a carpenter with a college degree in carpentry and current chair building experience to examine the chairs. I was very determined to see my experiment to the end.

Since they had no reason to deny the claim, they just denied it for no reason. Just like that. Case is closed. Experiment is over. Zero paid out.

77 Replies 77
Nathan200
Level 2
San Marino, CA

The host guarantee is an absolute scam. I have a security deposit on my listing and had 2 guests steal food, beer, expensive whiskey, and broke the cork on a $200 bottle of wine that I've had for 18 years, effectively ruining it. After spending about 2 hours on the phone with people just reading scripts and apologizing for not being able to help or escalate, I received an email denying my claim because "consumables" aren't covered. So i guess we're just expected to keep all our food and alcohol in a safe when we're hosting. Makes sense. Also makes sense to put in a security deposit that you have no access to. I'm beyond frustrated with Airbnb at this point and am planning on switching to homeaway/vrbo. All the stories in the press are all true and I should've heeded them.

Hosts, just know that if you rent with this garbage company, they condone theft and will NOT compensate you one cent if you have thieves that you open your home to. 

Mike1034
Level 10
Mountain View, CA

In my case, a guest violated no party, no smoking house rule and held a party in my house. Furniture was damaged, blanket and towels were missing, carpet was stained. All damages were more than $1000. I was told that I could only claim for $600, which was the security deposit I set up on the listing. I then only claimed for $605. I did get $425 because Airbnb depreciated the value of furniture damaged. I was not able to submit the rest since Airbnb system seems to allow only one submission. When I tried to submit the rest, I got a system error instead of an error indicating a submission in in progress. I would recommend to submit everything one time.

was this ever fixed?