My host guarantee experiment

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

My host guarantee experiment

I guest stayed Saturday night and checked out New Year’s eve. The scene at checkout was scary. How does one break a bed in half?? At least I knew how the ripped the leather on the chairs- using a hook of a hanger. Everything combined, there was a few thousands worth of damage. Furthermore, I had only 5 hours to remedy most as another guest was moving in. Even though I have read enough about host guarantee to know not to waste my time, I thought I would try it for myself once. Just so I have a story to tell. As if I don't have enough host stories already. I do have a $600 security deposit but it was obviously not enough to cover the damage.

They split my case in two. One was for all fees- smoking remediation, moving the furniture, etc. That one got denied pretty quickly on the grounds that they "did not like the invoice". Just did not like it. End of story. My repeated requests to find out what would they like to see were just not answered. 

The second part was for the actual items, handled by a different person. The types of requests I got could be a chapter in a book. "An invoice from a licensed chair repair person for the cost of repair and explanation from the licensed individual as to how the guest is at fault". As you can imagine, there is no licensure in chair repairship (is that what it would have been called if existed?). And I actually double checked on that. Also, obviously this individual would not have had a clue as to how it was the guest's fault because he/she was not there. Clearly, these requests are designed for you to not be able to comply. But guess what? I got them every last ridiculous piece of paper! If you are wondering how I dealt with the chairs, I found a carpenter with a college degree in carpentry and current chair building experience to examine the chairs. I was very determined to see my experiment to the end.

Since they had no reason to deny the claim, they just denied it for no reason. Just like that. Case is closed. Experiment is over. Zero paid out.

77 Replies 77
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

As you know from this forum a common story, interesting that you went above and beyond, also interesting the email I received from AirBnB today that included reference to how Hosts are protected by the Guarantee.

Perhaps somebody needs to tell the PR side how claims are handled?

As an aside much of what you asked for is not required, I am pretty sure they just make it up, if you decide to take the matter to Arbitration and the case gets kicked up the food chain I would be very surprised if you did not receive a quick offer, not the amount you claimed but something.

David
Leo108
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

SO does this mean there is an arbitration route for cases where you are not satisfied with the Airbnb host guarantee response. How does one access it?

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Inna22 This is the next chapter and how this is going to play out here in this forum. An admin is going to jump in with  “a pleasure to meet you. So sorry you had this terrible experience “. Nothing will happen after that. 

Then this post will get buried into the shadows and replaced with a “how do I get paid” post or a “guest stole my towels” post.

’You know it’s hard out here for a Host’

To be fair to the Mods they do not work for AirBnB, contracted out.

David
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Inna22

I find this shocking, although of course I've read similar stories many times.

I have never tried it myself, but many hosts have suggested that the best way to handle these situations, i.e. where your claims are being turned down for no logical reason and then communication just stops, is to post it on Airbnb's social media. Apparently the Twitter team are particularly responsive, or so I've heard.

I know at least a couple of hosts on the forums had their problems resolved by doing this. Like I said, I haven't tried it myself, but it's worth a shot.

Art19
Level 2
Angeles, Philippines

Yes it is shocking but it is something that can and will happen. At times like this I'm happy to be doing business outside the United States and outside first World Countries. If a guest damages a unit this way on me my security staff would would hold them pending turning over to the police. With two options a) pay for the damages in full or b) learn to justice is not equal everywhere in the World and it can be very slow. But calling Air BnB to handle would not be high on my list of choices. The best way to resolve a issue or problem is to have control over the situation, calling or involving Air BnB you lose control of the situation.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Yes, I will be looking into arbitration although I heard there is a fee. I also wonder if they mess with your listing standing once you do.

I did go to FB last night. Messaged them privately saying that before I post publicly I wanted to see if they would work it out. Otherwise I will post a picture a day from that party with comments. There pretty much said go for it. I posted first one today. Of the bed broken in half asking community to vote what is more shocking- that they managed to break it like that or that airbnb would not pay. Hopefully that will start a discussion. 

@Inna22 so sorry about your nightmare - but you are being so cool about it! good for you. Post the pics on here for us. more from me later!  Im in germany staying at a lovely Airbnb right now. but, gotta sleep. - best to you, Clara

Hi Inna

I'm Hugh. I had a guest that stayed with me for 24 yrs and they stopped the toilets and set fire to my bedrooms for a total of 9004 dollars. Air bnb offered me 500 dollars. I said it was a joke and they stopped communicating with me. Do you have any suggestions

@Hugh47 reaching out to them on facebook worked well. Otherwise you can proceed with arbitration 

Is there a phone number for the arbitration Department or an address

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Inna22 the best in your story is your calmness hehe... You remind me on my mother 🙂

@Branka & Silvia Thank you 🙂

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

We know that being shamed in the Media works, Newspapers etc love stories like this.

David