My hosting nightmare - police and everthing

Natalie446
Level 2
Adelaide, AU

My hosting nightmare - police and everthing

I've been Air BNBing for approximately 9 months, and have never had a significant issue that couldn't be worked out. Until now that is.

Sunday night I get a message from a young couple asking to stay in my spare room for 3 nights later in the week, then adding that they would also love to stay Monday if possible, but they acknowledged it was blocked and politely asked if it was booked. I told them I had guests leaving that morning, but I (foolishly) said that I could have the room ready for a 6pm check in on Monday should they wish. Adding via message that I would not be able to have the room ready and cleaned before then, and they would have to agree to this time for check in before I let them book it. They agree to these terms but ask to drop of bags and food earlier in the day (11am) and I agree, this is a common request, but I have always previously been home for this to take place. I think I had become too accustomed to guests who follow the rules!!

So Monday morning, I set the code to the key box before leaving for work, and send it to them. Closer to 11am I sent them instructions to the location of the keysafe, so that they don't try and come before the previous house guests leave.

I arrived home from work at 4.15pm that day to find my kitchen looking like a bomb went off.... charging cables everywhere, dirty plates (not put in the dishwasher or washed up) and furniture moved around a bit. Not quite "dropping off bags and food" i thought... I go to prepare the room, clean the bathroom, wash bedding and towels and other turnaround jobs. At 4.45pm the doorbell rings, and there they are... "our bus got in early"... and into the kitchen they go. I explain that the room will not be ready for a while, and they should go into the kitchen/lounge to wait.

At 5.50pm, everything is clean and ready for them (bar the towels, which were still drying), so I show them to their room after the obligatory kitchen/bathroom tour. We discuss the rules (quiet time between 10.30pm and 7am weeknights) plus bits such as cleaning up cigarette butts outside in the yard, washing up and keeping communal areas clean. I leave them to it, and they go out shortly after 7pm. 

Cue midnight when they come back, I've only just headed to bed, so not too bad I thought, but 2 hours later they are still up in the kitchen talking, and they are getting louder and harder to ignore.... and then i hear ANOTHER VOICE. Yep, they brought a friend back. After midnight. On a Monday night. Well then I lost it and told them that their friend needs to leave, and they need to go to bed/into their room. Not my finest work, but I'd had enough.

The following morning I head to work without seeing them, with a plan to discuss the issues from the previous night when I return. I return from work at 4.30pm to find.... the kitchen in a state, cupboards open, food left out, knives left out, cables everywhere and the backdoor open and unlocked. When I went outside to sort out the washing, it was littered with half smoked cigarette butts! And once again, I lost it. I immediately messaged asking for them to return to the Air BNB ASAP to talk about 'things'. 

He returns at 6pm, and blatantly ignores me asking him to chat, and just goes into the room. Turns out his girlfriend has been in the room the entire time! I knock and ask to speak to them, and he asks for one minute to talk to her. Ten minutes later he comes out of the room and I explain my significant concerns with the previous evening, but also that the kitchen was in a state, the back door was left open and the cigarette butts were all over the yard today - not just a one off. He acknowledges this and says they've had a big argument, and that he left in a hurry earlier today. I ask him to clean up the kitchen, which he agrees to. He then proceeds to argue with his girlfriend for an hour and then leaves again, this time with her. 

I clean up the mess in the kitchen, as I cannot face cooking dinner with a dirty/messy kitchen (my issue, I know).

They return and continue arguing in their room, and ultimately she tries to leave the house with her suitcase. Somehow he rips her top off her (including her bra), and they start screaming at each other in the street!! He ends up topless, potentially she had ripped his top off in retaliation. He then starts calling my name to come and help him with her. I was already on my way from the first floor to see what was happening (I'd been in the shower!) and couldn't believe what I was seeing. I agree to not call the police if he leaves immediately,  whilst I take her upstairs to try and find her some clothes. 

He ultimately leaves (with fuss), and she now decides she doesn't want him to go! I let them know that there is no option, and he has to leave immediately. Twenty minutes later, the police arrive (my neighbour rang them, very understandably) asking whats going on and wanting to see him. By this time she has got dressed, and is sat in the kitchen silently. I discuss with the policeman that I really need her to leave, as he will return if she stays and I'm not confident with that happening as a single woman living alone. 

Over the next 20 minutes the policewoman negotiates with her, explaining that she has to leave, whilst the policeman searches for him in the nearby streets. Eventually she agrees to leave, and packs up her things (and his) and takes them. A few bits get left, which I manage to notice and give to the police man (phew!)

Only issue is that he has both house keys (I give 1 to each guest)... brilliant. The police speak to her about this issue - as she will 100% be in contact with him later tonight, and the police let me know that if he doesnt return the key he will also have theft of property added to his assault allegation. Wonderful, but it doesnt sort my security issue out for tonight!

I am currently waiting on the Air BNB Trust and Safety Team to get back to me about the whole thing, from the money, to cancelling the booking, to the missing keys, to preventing me getting a horrific rating! I am armed with a crime number and will be getting a locksmith in first thing tomorrow morning.

Absolute nightmare.  

Bring on my next guests on Saturday 😞 

10 Replies 10

@Natalie446 Wow, what a drama!  I hope you're able to get a competent response from the Trust and Safety team, but unfortunately you might be waiting for days.

First things first:  if there is a 24-hour locksmith in your area, I recommend getting them over straight away. I hope there is someone who can stay in the house with you until you're able to secure it.

Also, before the night is out you'll want to get something in writing immediately to Airbnb stating that you had to terminate the booking early due to repeated violation of House Rules and violent conduct. I wouldn't bother including detail about dirty dishes and cigarette butts at this time, because a police record of assault is in itself sufficient reason to evict. 

Be sure to get written documentation from the police, and a receipt for the locksmith. In the next days you can submit these as evidence for a Resolution Request, if you wish to charge the guests for the cost of changing the locks. But if the cost of this is not more than the value of the unused portion of their stay, and Airbnb doesn't deduct that from your payout, it's easier to call it even.

It's not Airbnb's policy to block users from submitting reviews, and in some cases they are required to allow them in order to comply with consumer-protection laws. Unless the guest's account is deleted before the checkout date, they will have an opportunity to write one. If it violates the Content Policy you can request to have it removed; otherwise, you can still post a Host Response addressed at prospective guests. You'll find that while a single bad rating is bruising to the ego, it won't significantly impact your business.

Natalie446
Level 2
Adelaide, AU

Just had contact from AirBNBs Trust and Safety Team (based in the UK). 

1. They will block any ratings (mutually) and block contact between me (as host) and them (as guest)

2. They are cancelling the rest of their stay as they have breached community standards, and are confirming what will happen with the money for the 2 nights they havent stayed. 

3. AirBNB declined to take the police crime number I have. They said that SAPOL will contact AirBNB on a ?portal  dedicated to cases like this if they need something, but are taking my word for what happened (I thought this was odd, but I have the details if required)

4. AirBNB will cover part of the cost for the locksmith, but need to confirm to what value in AUD. Honestly, I dont care about how much they will give me, but I was impressed with the offer. 

@Natalie446  Glad to hear that your case was handled well and in a timely fashion. 

Considering that you are blocked from reviewing the guest, it would be very disappointing if they allowed their account to remain active. But usually when they state that "community standards" were breached it's implicit that the user has been banned.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

@Natalie446 , I hate that this happened to you, but love that you handled everything so well. 

Are you okay? Not alone in the key-compromised house all night?

If you have a choice, think about a lock with a number code. It's brilliant. You can set a new one for each guest, and, most importantly, un-set the old ones so they can't get back in. 

No one gets any keys.

Anyway, all the best, and hoping this is the end of the nightmare.

Natalie446
Level 2
Adelaide, AU

Am pleased to say that all the locks have been changed today, including creating a master key - this means that guests keys will now only open the front door, instead of all the lockable doors. 

Thanks @Lawrene0, I looked into this in the past and am now regretting my choice to not get onto the task sooner. I spoke to the locksmith and we have a plan to install something once I get some money back for the lock change. 

Air BNB (as a goodwill gesture) are covering the locksmith cost for all 7 locks that needed changing today. Very kind and has made a horrific experience slightly more tolerable.

Thanks for the update, @Natalie446 . Glad Airbnb is helping out, and happy you have new locks! I think I wasn't alone in worrying about you.

Well, let's hope your Saturday guests keep their shirts on!

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Natalie446   So glad this terrible experience is being handled and there is no lasting damage to your home.  The hospitality industry puts hosts in contact with general humanity which can sometime cause us to get a crash course in dealing with people out of control.  Did you ever think you would have such drama in your home?  More importantly, did you know you have the ability to handle such craziness ? 

Now  if you can review your vetting process of the guests in situation, would you change anything you did or decided?  Over the 4 years I have been hosting a private room, I have had to adjust house rules, guest vetting, listing parameters and listing description in response to some situation guests have presented.

Linda I see you don’t rent your whole house out you always have in a shared room  accommodation I don’t believe that that is the same as just handing keys over. 

Kate204
Level 2
Vincentia, AU

Air BnB are all about money now they won’t do anything  about it. They don’t really care as long as they got their commission .  Sad but true. Unfortunately now the wrong type of guests are taking advantage of this loop hole in Airbnb and  easy-going hosts. Due to the lack of control hosts have and no security deposit 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Kate204 

I would ask you to not 'rain on someones parade'!

I understand you may have grievances but everyone else here on this thread has given @Natalie446  some support....and that what this forum is all about, we support each other.

Natalie has been good enough to give us updates as to how Airbnb have handled her situation, and even the most strident opponent would have to say Airbnb have handled this reasonably well.

Kate, we do have to contend with a lot of **bleep**  here but, when someone comes here on a thread and tells us that the wheels have not exactly fallen off the wagon, please leave your angst for another thread.

Kate we all want to hear nice stories once in a while! Is that ok?

Cheers......Rob