My listing in a search is much higher than price I set

Beth44
Level 10
Flagstaff, AZ

My listing in a search is much higher than price I set

My listing recently has appeared with a much higher price than I actually set (which I feel would discourage potential guests from choosing to explore my listing ). This price problem occurs in the search properties for .....location. I am waiting for an answer from Airbnb (10 Days). Is this happening to anyone else?

59 Replies 59

Looks like they included the cleaning fee and the service fee in the search price.

The search price = (base price) x (number of nights) + (cleaning fee) +(service fee)/ number of nights.

For example, search price = $68

base price/night = $50 (3 night) = $150

cleaning fee = $25

service fee = $28

150+25+28/3 = $68

William1494
Level 1
Fresno, CA

If you think it's frustrating for the owner who is listing, it's really troublesome for the renter. Many places I click on during an area search show prices higher that the price shown on the area search. I'm finished with Air B and B. Ripoff.

Pablo1095
Level 2
México D.F., Mexico

I found a solution: lower your maximum price in the settings. If no dates are selected it shows the maximum prices that you set. Hope it helps!

Sally671
Level 4
Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom

Thanks but that did not help me. Neither did Airbnb.

Tom-and-Saya0
Level 1
San Diego, CA

Guys, I am having the same issue. I've probably spent over 7 hours talking to customer service on this matter and got nowhere. I reverse-calculated my average price ($270.38) but Airbnb show my listing as $489. The customer support supervisor refused to reverse-calculate my average price, keeps calling my calculations an assumption and stating there is no issue with their algorithm.

EDIT: Apparently they don't have access to historical rates to even calculate it. There is no avenue to present an algorith-related issues per what the supervisor said. I bet this is how the algorithmic-induced racism victims feel. I am very sad that I spent all this time explaining the issue only to be showered with incorrect statements which I immediately disproved. Very sad indeed. If anyone is going through the same thing I'd love to hear from you. Feel free to DM me. I feel for all of you dealing with this issue. Will definitely be underperforming because of this. A lose-lose to both my family and Airbnb.

Darick-and-Jessica0
Level 2
California, United States

I'm having the same problem as with everyone else where my Base Price appears higher on the search page in comparison to my actual set Base Price.  As a result of this, bookings have dropped for the past few weeks.  I've  tried adjusting my "base price", turned off "Smart Pricing", adjusted the "extra guest fee"  to the maximum amount of guest allowed on my listing and nothing has changed.  I've reached out to AirBNB for the past few weeks to trouble shoot this issue and nothing has been resolved or have been informed on a few occasions that this is how the system is supposed to function. I've spoken to several Customer Support representatives that understood the issue with the displays showing higher rates on the search page in comparison to the base price but when it's escalated to another level of support, no one has come up with a solution.  It appears that this problem has been on going  since 2016 by reading through these notes and now that we're in 2022, I wanted to know if anyone has found anything new or has done anything different to their settings and if there is nothing new, what are you doing differently with your bookings/settings in the meantime? ie: Are you hosting from different vacation rental platforms, etc.  Any kind of feedback would be greatly appreciated.  

Try this, if you have a weekend rate set then the Airbnb Guest Service fees are added on to this, try reducing the weekend rate and searching for your property and adjust accordingly, the guest service fee is around 17% for me, cheers

Sally671
Level 4

Yes it is happening to me too. For one person for a weekend Airbnb is charging an extra £50m on my cheapest listing.  This payment is different from what they show me the guest pays and I have been told by two guests that they paid more than I say the room cost each night.

@Sally671 you do realise that 36 cleaning fee and airbnb so called "guest fee" is added on the top of your "room fee? 

Sally671
Level 4

Yes, but I have no understanding of why. My cleaning fee is £30. I was assuming that the "guest fee" is what Airbnb are charging the guest for the 6-12% booking fee. I have not added that to my calculation. Without it my guest will pay £50 extra for the weekend. I also do not have any different charge for the weekend than weekdays and my smart pricing is turned off or otherwise I could not even pay bills on what they want to recommend. It's impossible to ever get anything resolved properly with the help people and mostly if I have any problem they just make it a whole heap worse. I'm looking at alternatives but I only do rooms in shared house so not so many options.

So, here is what happening.

When one searches for location without specifying dates - airbnb presents list of properties for different totally random dates with the price displayed being price of the last day in that range. 

That was simple Watson 

Sally671
Level 4

Do you mean £50 or 5,000?  I'm not sure I understand why because my calendar shows a year ahead. 

@Sally671 just updates reply to you with explanation. Stand corrected - has nothign to do with my initial thought. 

So, here is what happening.

When one searches for location without specifying dates - airbnb presents list of properties for different totally random dates with the price displayed being price of the last day in that range. 

IF you did not set custom price for those dates - it most liekly uses "base price" - one more reason not to let airbnb to use any defaults - setp rpices yourself, select huge range and set price. This will overwrite "base price"

That was simple Watson 

P.S. Guest fee is at least 15% on ABNB

Sally671
Level 4

Thank you. I will give this a try and see if it fixes the problem. 15% is a lot for an automated service and no help when required. 

Please read updated reply