My listing is in the country- best way to inform guests of unexpected wildlife visitors?

Hollie-And-Paul0
Level 1
Rutherfordton, NC

My listing is in the country- best way to inform guests of unexpected wildlife visitors?

Hi everyone,

My listing is in the boonies near the foothills and mountains, and we have a ton of critters (deer, rabbits, skunks, bear, etc.) that live in the woods surrounding my home. We keep the home sprayed for insects and rodents, but how should a skunk or other critter be handled? I can't help that mother nature is our neighbor. I recently had a guest that saw a skunk just behind our home and it "tooted" just enough to leave a faint odor in and around the house. Luckily he is from the country himself and wasn't creeped out, and wanted to let me know about it. I got his approval and went and aired out the house while he went to his contract job. I offered the fellow a free night for his next visit and he said he would love to stay again. However, we all know that some stuffy uptight person that wasn't too keen on wildlife would leave a scathing review, despite us having no control over wildlife. Should I add something to the listing about wildlife, or would that scare people off? Or, should I handle any issues on a case by case basis? 

4 Replies 4
Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

@Hollie-And-Paul0 hrm, yes I can see how you would be worried. I’m sure more experienced hosts will reply. I would personally be thrilled by critters coming to visit! In fact it would be a selling feature from my perspective! How awesome! 

I think you should incorporate something in your listing in a “cute” way, so that it does the job of both a “selling feature” and a “notice” to those who may be surprised. 

How about something like this:

“Being set in the woods nature is right on our doorstep, with all manner of critters (large and small) who happen by. While close encounters are rare, occasionally some curious critters may even decide you are worth seeing up close. But don’t worry, if you need us we are close by, so you can relax and enjoy our nature filled neighbourhood.”

PS: you could also include this as your top paragraph under the Neighbourhood section - this way it stays prominent and not lost in the “read more” part of your listing description. As far as I know, the first paragraph under Neighbourhood is always shown without hitting expand.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Hollie-And-Paul0

if you have a few pictures of critters in your neighbourhood then you can include them in your photo gallery

Thanks for the replies! These are great suggestions. 

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Hollie-And-Paul0,

"However, we all know that some stuffy uptight person that wasn't too keen on wildlife would leave a scathing review, despite us having no control over wildlife"

Don't let them book your accommodation  anyway. Let them go to some place reserved for "stuffy uptight persons" ! A lot of people would love to encounter wildlife and see it as a feature instead of a disadvantage, as stated by @Ben551

Best regards,

Emiel