My long term tenant has listed my condo on AriBnB without permission

BobB0
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

My long term tenant has listed my condo on AriBnB without permission

Two days ago I found out through my Condo Property Manager that my condo Suite is on AirBnB in violation of the condo rules.

I am furious but I want to resolve this in a smooth way as I am worried that I could face troubles trying to evict the tenant with further issues. I am in Toronto Canada. The past two days I have lost sleep and have browsed through many posts here:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/MY-apartment-is-online-ILLEGALLY-via-my-tenant-How-to-repor...

1. If you go on to the listing and scroll down, on the righthand-side of the page you will see a 'Report this listing':

** I have done this

2. Please contact our Support Team directly and they will be able to assist you with this. They are available 24/7 at +1-415-800-5959 // +1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)

** This is asking to varify my phone number, I am yet to varify my cell number with AirBnB - So not an option for me yet!

3. The Community Guide.

** I am unable to get to this guide as the link does not take me to a portal where I can request anything.

I have rented my Suite to a tenant with a  clause ("The Lease and  Lessor agree that unless otherwise agreed to herein, only the tenant(s) named above will occupy the premises. The Premises is to be used only for Single Family Residences."

How do I verify that the listing is actually posted by the renter as well how do I confirn that the premises is actually mine.

I have the below (two links for my Suite and the link of the person posted):

https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/21764884

https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/21765986

https://www.airbnb.ca/users/show/99941094

What are my next steps?

I am in fear that either I will lose my high profile (Teacher and Professional Sports Scout) client or I may be fined by the Condo Corporation for violating the rules.

Kindly help or point me to the right direction / person.

Thanks.

Regards,

Bob B

Regards,
BobB
10 Replies 10
Lilja3
Level 2
Reykjavík, Iceland

My first instinct would be to talk to your tenant. Done that?

BobB0
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Thanks Lilja. I was debating that for sure. But went against it as I don't want to accuse them, I know that they are fairly high profile.

I will be contacting a lawyer tomorrow and then will follow lawter's direction.

Anyother suggestions? Will AirBnB actually let me know the address of this listing? I am prepared to give my ownership documents prior.

Thanks.

Regards,

BobB

Regards,
BobB
Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

In the U.S. the first step in an eviction is a 10 day Cease and Desist letter sent to your tenant.

This letter gives your tenant a chance to rectify the situation.

If he has no desire to change his behavior, you kick him out.

Your tenant is the person breaking your rules. Airbnb is not at fault for your inability to control your property.

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@BobB0 You could finish setting up your profile then book the unit: then you'd know for sure. Or you could ask a friend to do it. You or a friend don't have to stay at the property: they could book, get the address, then cancel, or check in and take some pictures for evidence. Some cost may or may not be associated with booking and cancelling, depending on the host's cancellation policy, but at least you'd know. This may be the way to go if Airbnb won't help by supplying the address.

I don't know what Airbnb will have to say about it. I think they try not to get involved in these situations, as they don't verify that the rental is legal before allowing the unit to be listed.

The fact that the person doing the hosting has multiple listings says that they likely know they're in violation of your rules but just don't care, so I'm not sure talking to them is going to be a good idea. They're obviously not just renting out their place while they're away on the weekends or something more innocent. It also suggests that they likely aren't living there at all, just renting out the unit full-time, so I'm not really sure losing the tenant is going to be a loss, and there is hardly a shortage of tenants in Toronto if you need to find a replacement.

The tenant being "high profile" cuts both ways, I would think. Would it be good for the person's image if it was found out that they were doing something illegal/sketchy and it went public?

@Alexandra316 Thanks for your well thought out solution and scenarios. I will confirm the address by booking and then take the next steps. Yep, more I analyze I don't think this is a residence for them, it is a business - illegal!

I hope to get some directions from AirBnB on this as well. A couple of the listings by my tenant is of the same building.

With further analysis on the 221 comments, there has been other buildings that this "high profile" person has done business with. 

Thanks again.

Regards,

BobB

Regards,
BobB

@BobB0 No problem! I really hope everything works out in your favour.

These people are the kind of hosts who ruin the platform for everyone else and cause major problems in cities like Toronto.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@BobB0 Allthough the profile at the moment does not show active listing, the Homepage still shows 6 listings under their control. Also the map shows where the listings are located: Direct search 

(i suggest you make a sceen print or PDF if those links, before they are gone)

Hope this helps, Emiel

Thanks Emiel. I have made screen shots of the of the three links.

Regards,
BobB
Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@BobB0

why don't you making a booking and see how the scoundrel reacts! you could get to keep the deposit if he/she bolts

Vivian121
Level 1
New Providence, PA

I have the same situation, I found out m tenant subletting the towmhouse and breach the contract of the lease,  Airbnb is not able to do anything and stated "I'm not the host so airbnb can't take the listing down, my tenant has to do that herself.! So far no soluation from Airbnb and they can't even provide any documents for me to present in court in enviting my tenant. As a landlord, I'm at risk of losing my homeowner isurance because of what my tenant did and that if she keep renting out to her guest. I'm surprised so far no class action lawsuit against what this company allows tenant to do illegal subletting.