Mystery/Disapperaing guest

Mystery/Disapperaing guest

We currently have a guest who is booked for 5 nights to "work". He claims to be a writer and professor at a college 40 miles away, which his Wickipedia page confirms.   He showed up after dark the first night, and in the morning I saw his car but an hour later he was gone.  He has not been back after to more nights.  No lights on, the door is locked from the outside, every blind is drawn,  no noises or sign of him.  I texted him last night to see if he needed anything, and he said no, that everything was wonderful.  Is this something that I should be concerned about or report officially?  I guess his spouse could have locked him in from the outside and driven their car home so that he wouldn't be tempted to flee or be distracted.  I'm stumped.  Thanks all!

Scott

10 Replies 10
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Scott-and-Kathy0 

I've only had a similar situation once. A young lady checked in, left some luggage, took the key, told me she would stay the night at a friend's and come back the next day. She then didn't return for a week and, for the first few days, didn't respond to any messages. Turns out she was just staying at a friend's and didn't seem to see the need to respond to me. It was only when I WhatsApped her and said I was going to call Airbnb because I was worried, that she responded. She did turn out to be extremely weird but that's a long story...

Your situation is a bit different though as the guest responded telling you all was okay. No, I don't think you need to report this if nothing else is suspicious. Who knows what his personal life is like and if he has friends or someone else he is visiting in the area. I would just keep an eye on the situation. He's only booked for two more nights and I assume your payout has been issues.

I am not sure of your hosting set up, but as you mentioned being able to see the car (I'm assuming from the home, rather than on camera?) you might be a homestay host or located next door. If so, I would suggest you do your check ins in person so you can get a sense of who the guest is and if they seem okay.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

It could be anything, but it's nothing to worry about, @Scott-and-Kathy0 . You have heard from him, so he is not missing or lying injured inside or anything that requires action. He's not asking for a refund.

I love speculating about what on earth my guest-who-has-done-something-weird is up to, but it's just a fun private game. (Has to be private, as my husband isn't interested in playing it.) You seem up for it, though, so I'll start: He's booked your place as a "writing retreat" decoy and is really on some top secret mission. Shhh! 😉

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Lawrene0 

I have convinced myself that the mysterious husband of the lady I bought my house from was a spy. I have no evidence of this, just a lot of random hunches, but it is fun to speculate...

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Scott-and-Kathy0  Why would you report it?  He let you know he's okay, so he didn't have a heart attack or get murdered or anything. He's an adult, it's  up to him if he doesn't want to make use of a place he paid for. 

If he doesn't show back up by the day before check-out, you might want to send him a check-out time reminder. 

Thanks for the feedback and humor everyone.   He reached out to extend for another night.  Why would you extend at a place your aren't even using?   Oh well, I'm not going to lose sleep over it, but I will try to catch him at checkout if possible. I would like to meet him.

@Scott-and-Kathy0  It is rather strange. Maybe he's having an affair,  and booking your place is some sort of decoy. Alas, you'll probably never know. At least he isn't using up towels, t.p. and soap 🙂

@Sarah977 “At least he isn't using up towels, t.p. and soap”

Honestly, this is the guest of my dreams. Most of our guests settle in and hole up, never leaving. Using all the supplies, creating big utility bills, wear and tear. Don’t get me wrong, they’re all great, but the occasional absent guest is a small gift to be thankful for.

@Scott-and-Kathy0 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Colleen253 @Sarah977 

Exactly. I was concerned that a recent guest checked out after a couple of nights instead of staying 2.5 weeks because her plans had changed, but @Anonymous wisely told me to treat it as a free holiday. I would have refunded her something if the dates got booked, but they didn't.

Next guest who was due to arrive for that room has postponed several times because she's still waiting for her visa. At the earliest, she will arrive 1.5 weeks after her check in date (and that was moved already but I reimbursed her the first time). In another one of my rooms, a couple was supposed to check in a few days ago but couldn't. At the earliest, they will arrive 1.5 weeks after their original check in.

It's been quite frustrating really and there's been a lot of chasing from my end to try to get a sense of when these guests will finally arrive, but they aren't using up towels, toilet paper and soap in the meantime, so I guess I should just enjoy it!

I agree, @Colleen253 ! Mine hole up for their weekend, treat themselves and the dog to messy suppers in bed, and burn up the entire woodpile. As you say, it's fine, but I've had a couple of absentees and they have been that small gift.

I think my place is a bit like a gym membership for some: they pay for it and tell their friends all about it, but don't actually show up because there is some hardship involved.

Not sure how I can market to that crowd exclusively, but I really should work on that!

@Lawrene0  Pretty soon we'll be able to sell virtual stays. The guest doesn't have to actually go anywhere, they can just stay home, put on a headset and some goggles and eat pizza in your treehouse bed, a fire crackling in the woodstove, without you having to wash the sheets, or stack any more firewood. 🙂