NIGHTMARE: $0 Monthly Revenue On over $10,000 Anticipated

Palmer3
Level 2
Captiva, FL

NIGHTMARE: $0 Monthly Revenue On over $10,000 Anticipated

I have carpal tunnel syndrome so I dictate most of what I write here, apologizing in advance to those reading this that are somehow offended by grammatical or spelling errors present and the posting. I feel that the content of the posting is the more relevance of the two as I am now in a serious jam as a serious medical condition and is affecting me and I have absolutely no revenue due to a terrible July and multiple gas that I believe are working in unison to stay for free  and one of two units that I own on a barrier island in Florida on the water called Captiva Island. 

Context:  I use both Airbnb and home away to rent to potential tenants, however, predominantly my revenue during the summer comes from short term bookings of Florida residents where my units are located through Airbnb anywhere from 2 to 4 nights.  I found it a bit odd when a tenant of mine booked almost 3 months in advance both of my units for a week straight however decided to let the booking go through although it seemed relatively OB and was almost $4500 in revenue that was at stake if he decided to cancel or at the last moment was not able to make the reservation.  A second tenant that lives just 30 minutes away from the aforementioned tenant had booked just a two night stay and canceled the stay within minutes of arrival.  I was not personally aware that one could both cancel a listing and get a full refund without ever setting foot inside a unit  for an issue that they caused them selves  and also for a seperate party to cancel a listing after spending 14 straight days inside my units, seven days inside two adjacent units, cumulatively equating to 14 days,  and receive a full refund for both circumstances without any questions asked by Airbnb on my side  until after the refunds had been issued, making paying for my own medical bills and the medical bills of my mother who is currently in stage four cancer which has now spread throughout her entire body, nearly impossible. Please note the reason for the request of full refund of tenant that did spend 14 days in my

units was that they did not have access to one pool and one restaurant within the resort my unit is located in. They do have access to a beautiful pool, hot tub, private beaches, and all the amenities I provide (see my listing links at conclusion of post) but received s $4,000+ refund and stayed in two gorgeous units and caused damage to them for free, while I am stuck with mortgages, HOA fees, cleaning fees, repair fees, and opportunity cost in form of damages to reputation due to review he left of 1 star. Mind you my listing clearly states with an asterisk that tenants have access only to the pool in the section If the rrsrrt they are staying in, which I’m this case was not one with slide pool and restaurant. Tenant claimed he deserved full refund because I should have made it clear what he did  not have access to. Well, there is no place on Airbnb to put white you do not have access to. When putting what do you have access to and checking boxes by proxy you are also indicating what you do not have access to. This is what I told him an Airbnb still awarded him a full refund.

This is my main source of revenue and I honestly find this to be disgusting.  The unit that this occurred and I have owned for 1.5 years and have been hosting this entire time with an average review rates ranging anywhere from 4.6 at the lowest 4.9 at the highest. I made super host requirements every time with the exception that I do not respond fast enough to guests occasionally because I do on my own separate business that requires time and international guests off and inquire with me and I cannot respond quickly enough. Aside from that I have had literally zero cancellations caused by me in the past 365 days.  I made super host requirements every time with the exception that I do not respond fast enough to guests occasionally because I do on my own separate business that requires time and international guests off and inquire with me and I cannot respond quickly enough. Aside from that I have had literally zero cancellations caused by me in the past 365 days.  In the past 10 days to cancellations have occurred, one of which occurred after the tenant spent seven days and two apartments of mine which is quite baffling. In short, I have made zero dollars from Abe Airbnb this month due to the fact that tenants are falsely claiming that apartments are dirty upon arrival and not ready upon arrival. In my mind at most this warrants a refund of one day possibly even two days. This does not refun in short, I have made zero dollars from Abe Airbnb this month due to the fact that tenants are falsely claiming that apartments are dirty upon arrival and not ready upon arrival. In my mind at most this warrants a refund of one day possibly even two days. This does  warrant a full refund for a guest, especially when that gas damages your apartment as a result of becoming angry at the fact that you decide to retaliate and contact Airbnb it to try to fight his false claims.  I am in such a hole now you guys that I cannot even describe to you how I feel. I have had such an amazing experience with Airbnb for the past 1 1/2 years until this month, when the gas that I have received I have literally been sent from Dantes seventh circle of the inferno.  If anyone has any advice about what I can do to get in contact with someone and upper-level management who is a human being and can talk to me like one it would be great.  If you would like to look at my listings and feedback here they are :

https://abnb.me/NDtoCuXJ4O

https://abnb.me/fAY1t4YJ4O

4 Replies 4
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Palmer3,

Sorry to read your bad experiences with recent guests. Airbnb is rather quick in siding by the guest if it comes to claims and refunds, sometimes not even consulting the host. There a lot of stories like this in the community. It's a matter of keep trying to contact Airbnb if you feel your case is not handled well:

Contact Airbnb - A Community Help Guide [UPDATED]

You could try taking them to court (or arbitration). But get on the phone and talk to a manager. I have never heard of allowing a guest to stay 14 days and then giving them a full refund. That's an idiot in CS and you need to talk to a grown-up. If the guest didn't have access to a specific pool then perhaps a minor refund or they could be allowed to cancel and move. But to stay and get a refund? That sounds like a scam.

Make sure your listing says that only the amenities shown in  your listing are available to guests. Make sure you don't show anything that isn't available to your guests.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

For that amount of money you might demand arbitration, some people say that airbnb tends to settle when this is done.  But be sure and read the regulations and guidelines governing this...because as you probably know, airbnb changes things very often and doesn't inform hosts.

@Palmer3 I know that off limits pool. The Who’s who pool. I spent many fabulous vacations on Captiva, my mother owned in SS till Charlie destroyed it. I’m horrified to read of your dilemma. I still get warm fuzzies thinking about that island but it had its share of entitleds. I’d be the squeaky wheel till something is rectified. This post isn’t much help....it just made me very nostalgic. Wishing you a positive outcome.