NSW government to impose 180-night cap on Airbnb properties in Sydney Australia

Jo312
Level 2
Sydney, Australia

NSW government to impose 180-night cap on Airbnb properties in Sydney Australia

I have just read the NSW Australian Governments minister of 'Innovation and  Better Regulation' Matt Kean's article of restricting Airbnb hosting to 180 days in Sydney. As a regularAirbnb host in Sydney, I find this new policy unacceptable. I haven't reached out to fellow Airbnb hosts in Sydney before and I'm looking for other hosts or guests impacted by this policy. I would like to suggest we collectively meet and decide a way to push back on this policy. 

27 Replies 27

Totally agree with you. I rely on this as it is my only form of income. Will be happy to meet up also. 

Tobias91
Level 1
Sydney, Australia

I’m certainly keen to be involved and hear more how we can continue to host without some of these silly regulations they want to bring in.  

This absolutely shocking!

I've written a letter to the MP expressing my negative opinion on this. So maybe  you could also write a letter to him.

Payam4
Level 1
Sydney, Australia

Ok I have a killer mortgage to pay and itsmy house ! Airbnb only  covers %1.5 of all rental properties! What about gaint coapiration  like Merton hotel which build  huge rental  developments in nearly each suburb ! They have much bigger impact on in rental prices ? 

Natalia164
Level 2
Clovelly, Australia

Please keep me informed also if you have a meetup. I am in Wollongong but happy to travel to Sydney. I have organised a face to face meeting with my local MP. Anyone else in Illawarra/Wollongong region, please feel free to get in touch. Has anyone started a get.up petition yet? Anything else happening? I feel like this is really fragmented (we are) and would be great if there was a way to organise everyone! But I don't know how!!

Brent82
Level 2
West Wyalong, Australia

Has any meetup been organized 

Ben157
Level 2
New South Wales, Australia

I'm keen to be involved in this - I too do not agree with their decision, please keep me in the loop

Erika366
Level 2
Potts Point, Australia

Hi there, 

I'm keen to find out if anything has progressed in regard to this? 

From my understanding, we are currently in the "window" to oppose the regulations and we have less than 6 months before the government makes its decision. So far reading all the comments on this thread, these were the options: 

1. Write to our local MP

2. Start something on Change.org

3. Arrange a meet-up

4. Is there a facebook group or meet-up group for this? 

There was someone on here who said they were in PR and crisis management, keen to find out if a template letter could be drafted that we could send to our MP or do the copy for change.org?

I'm part of a few community groups in the Eastern suburb areas. We do regular meet ups and I've spoken to a few other Airbnb hosts who would like to band together to oppose the restrictions. I don't think there's a forceful or influential group that has come together to OPPOSE the restrictions. There is definitely a strong political group of home owners in Darlinghurst and Potts Point area that have come together to SUPPORT  the restrictions on Airbnb hosts (particularly The Horizon building residents and others in Potts Point area who influence Alex Greenwich and other MPs to restrict Airbnb). It would be really good if we came together as a group to OPPOSE them. 

Thanks!

Erika

Debbie579
Level 1
New South Wales, Australia

Does anyone know if the 180 day maximum nights per year in Sydney or NSW has been carried out with anyone non-complying so far with warnings or imposing the penalty of not being able to  host for 5 years?

Nothing has happened so far to my knowledge  Debbie. 

Gladys130
Level 1
Sydney, Australia

As a real estate agents and a professional Airbnb host, I can’t believe the government is not encouraging any sort of occupancy  in the oversupplied unit market in  Sydney.

The recent property boom and rezoning of several growth corridors has lead to massive stock levels. Most agents are taking 4-6 weeks to rent properties because there is so much stock.

The authorities across all levels are forgetting that without investors in the market place most of the market activity would be gone.  Investors need to keep getting returns that fuel economic activity 

Brent82
Level 2
West Wyalong, Australia

has anyone seen the draft code you can have your say on this the time limit in Sydney is still a worry but the longer booking over 21 days doesn't count is better only hoping Randwick council don't keep pushing for limit especially when rental market is so bad thoughts?

Brent82
Level 2
West Wyalong, Australia