National Celebrations! Scottish Burns Night

Steven65
Level 10
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

National Celebrations! Scottish Burns Night

To all my Airbnb Friends, I would like to wish you a very Happy Burns Nicht (25th Jan). To celebrate the birthday of our National Poet, Robert Burns (25 January 1759 – 21 July 1796) we  gather to eat, dance,  recite poetry and perhaps drink a wee dram (whisky) or two.

Burns.JPG

We start dinner with Selkirk Grace.

Some hae meat an canna eat,

And some wad eat that want it;

But we hae meat, and we can eat,

And sae the Lord be thankit.

Then Address (toast) to the Haggis (spiced meat and offal served in sheep stomach– delicious!)

haggis.JPG

With ceremonial cutting of the Haggis, perhaps accompanied by Bagpipes and: -  

Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face,
Great chieftain o' the puddin-race!
Aboon them a' ye tak your place,
Painch, tripe, or thairm:
Weel are ye wordy o' a grace
As lang's my airm

Followed swiftly by dinner of haggis, neeps and tatties (haggis, turnips and potato) and speeches (toasts). 

A telling of Tam o’ Shanter or other works may follow. "But pleasures are like poppies spread, You seize the flower, its bloom is shed; Or like the snow falls in the river, A moment white--then melts for ever". Warning us of drunken and lusty behaviour, to which Burns was very partial, the epic tale closes:

Now, wha this tale o' truth shall read,

Ilk man and mother's son, take heed,

Whene'er to drink you are inclin'd,

Or cutty-sarks run in your mind,

Think, ye may buy the joys o'er dear,

Remember Tam o' Shanter's mear

And before the night is over, traditional dancing  (Ceilidh - pronounced Kay-ley) with reels and jigs. Available in village halls and hotels all across Scotland.  

“Slange Var” (cheers!).   

35 Replies 35
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Amazing post @Steven65 ! I think we all appreciate learning about other countries traditions (especially when so much merriment is involved!) We had some hand-me-down parts of this as my great grandparents are Scottish (grandparents moved down to Newcastle), but never the full experience,=.

It reminds me that @Quincy loves this celebration having spent many years up in the Highlands!

Thanks for an interesting insight,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Lovely post @Steven65! I've lived in Edinburgh for a wee while and celebrated this every year.

I used to pop on my kilt and head down to the Ghillie Dhu for a Burns supper and some Cèilidh dancing with my friends. 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Now @Quincy, I would have liked to have seen that! 

Patricia55
Level 10
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

@Steven65 

Thanks for this 🙂 We often go to Dumfries and love the Robert Burns centre there, and the Mausoleum etc. Must go back soon - pity we can't go tomorrow!

Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Steven65  Thank you for sharing this very interesting Scottish celebration.I never heard about this poet before.I will definitely have some whisky tomorrow as it will be my birthday too! Cheers 🙂

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Double celebration @Oomesh-Kumarsingh0 !

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

@Stephanie I really appreciate! Thank you very much 🙂

Well a very happy birthday to you @Oomesh-Kumarsingh0 . 

🎂🎈🎈🎈🎈🥃🎂🥃🎈🎈🎈🎈🎂

@Cathie19 Thank you so much! I am very touched by your wishes 🙂

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aww a big happy birthday to you @Oomesh-Kumarsingh0 (for tomorrow). I do think we should all do a little jig to celebrate. 

Have a lovely day. Also, I just want to say how nice it is to see you back in the CC. I've missed you seeing your name pop up. I hope all is well. 

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Lizzie Thank you so much Lizzie! It is always a pleasure for me to be a part of the CC.I have missed you too.All is well on my side how about you?

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Welcome back and a happy birthday to you @Oomesh-Kumarsingh0

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

@Quincy Thank you very much! I really appreciate

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Wow @Steven65! Thanks for sharing your Robert Burns historical story. Not to mention the wonderful lilting poetry.

But seriously, you can keep your tripe and haggis, but I’ll happily share some wee drams of whisky! Lol.  Otherwise I’ll buy some in May this year, when Garry and I shall spend a few days touring around in Scotland.  

🥃

cheers!