National Celebrations! Scottish Burns Night

Steven65
Level 10
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

National Celebrations! Scottish Burns Night

To all my Airbnb Friends, I would like to wish you a very Happy Burns Nicht (25th Jan). To celebrate the birthday of our National Poet, Robert Burns (25 January 1759 – 21 July 1796) we  gather to eat, dance,  recite poetry and perhaps drink a wee dram (whisky) or two.

Burns.JPG

We start dinner with Selkirk Grace.

Some hae meat an canna eat,

And some wad eat that want it;

But we hae meat, and we can eat,

And sae the Lord be thankit.

Then Address (toast) to the Haggis (spiced meat and offal served in sheep stomach– delicious!)

haggis.JPG

With ceremonial cutting of the Haggis, perhaps accompanied by Bagpipes and: -  

Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face,
Great chieftain o' the puddin-race!
Aboon them a' ye tak your place,
Painch, tripe, or thairm:
Weel are ye wordy o' a grace
As lang's my airm

Followed swiftly by dinner of haggis, neeps and tatties (haggis, turnips and potato) and speeches (toasts). 

A telling of Tam o’ Shanter or other works may follow. "But pleasures are like poppies spread, You seize the flower, its bloom is shed; Or like the snow falls in the river, A moment white--then melts for ever". Warning us of drunken and lusty behaviour, to which Burns was very partial, the epic tale closes:

Now, wha this tale o' truth shall read,

Ilk man and mother's son, take heed,

Whene'er to drink you are inclin'd,

Or cutty-sarks run in your mind,

Think, ye may buy the joys o'er dear,

Remember Tam o' Shanter's mear

And before the night is over, traditional dancing  (Ceilidh - pronounced Kay-ley) with reels and jigs. Available in village halls and hotels all across Scotland.  

“Slange Var” (cheers!).   

35 Replies 35
Lauris-and-Gene0
Level 3
Wilmington, NC

Interesting stuff. My dad's name was Robert Burns. His dad's name was George. Unfortunately I know nothing of our family's history.

@Lauris-and-Gene0  Do you know where they lived?

If so use related keywords online and it should come up with other relations names and regions where they lived.

Then venture into your Online National Library as you should be able to find further ancestry history in there.

It might pay to include their middle name/ names if you know them.

Hope that helps

All the best

Central To All Home & Location

Remuera, Auckland, New Zealand

Amanda660
Level 10
Auchenblae, United Kingdom

Burns Greetings to you all from another Scottish Host up here in the North 🙂 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Steven65 @Amanda660 @Oomesh-Kumarsingh0 @Lauris-and-Gene0 @Robin4 
@Lizzie @Stephanie @Quincy @Cathie19 

@Patricia55 

Here's a little history from Papers Past about a relation of Robbie Burns, I'm sure there's other interesting articles tucked away in here.

Is Miss Jean Armour Burns Brown home in old High Street in Dumfries still there?

If so, would someone who is living nearby or visiting able to please take a current photo to share?

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/ESD19380108.2.107?

Burns Descendants

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/NZH19131108.2.99.37.2

Visit to Scotland

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/EP19381219.2.181

@Helen427 Thank you for sharing this wonderful piece of history! I really appreciate and value your research on Robert Burns and his family.It is always a pleasure to read those old papers and hopefully we shall soon find a photo of Miss Jean Armour Burns Brown home.This is an excellent input from your side Helen!!!

Giuliana142
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

@Steven65 @Oomesh-Kumarsingh0 @Helen427 @Amanda660 @Lauris-and-Gene0  My first ABNB guests were a young Scottish couple. It was a great start to experience hosting. They were so kind and sweet, we still keep in touch, I love to help them when they’re around and they still come to visit me. I sent them greetings for their poet Burns holiday. Thank you!