Nature’s Head composting toilet in a listing

Elizabeth1880
Level 2
Rogersville, TN

Nature’s Head composting toilet in a listing

Looking for suggestions about how to explain to folks about how to use the Nature’s Head composting toilet in our rustic on farm cabin.  

19 Replies 19
Sam397
Level 10
Reno, NV

Never heard of a composting toilet, what is that where they go out the back door in the bushes?

@Sam397  Composting toilets have been around since the 60's or 70's. You should get out more.

@Elizabeth1880 What do you mean, "how to explain"? I'd put framed instructions on the wall of the bathroom, with illustrations or photos to augment the written part, if possible. People tend to be more visual, than attentive to reading through just a bunch of text.

Jesus @Sarah977 I was making a joke, I have been in a RV before.

@Sam397 Ah, sarcasm and jokes aren't always obvious in posts, sorry I misunderstood. I didn't know RV's used them, though.

Elizabeth1880
Level 2
Rogersville, TN

OK- thanks ya’ll for answering.  The issue is that we have always had a composting toilet, but basically a sawdust latrine.  I have never had an issue with sanitation or odor (I have a hatch to be able to change the bucket every day).  Even using the tags “rustic” “farm property” “livestock” “lots of cats and dogs” and a written explanation, plus an in person demonstration, I still get pushback from guests, even including “unsanitary” in a review (from a guest who stayed one night).  How can I best explain the pee sitting down for men, and spray out the bowl with vinegar, put the toilet paper here...  I am afraid this will push my visitors over the edge!

@Sarah977 , @Sam397 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Elizabeth1880  There's nothing about the words"rustic", "farm property", "livestock" , "lots of dogs and cats" or "We maintain a composting toilet" which tells guests who have never used a composting toilet before, anything about it or gives them any idea about what is required when using one. 

Instead of "we maintain a composting toilet for you", I would say something along the lines of "The toilet may not be a type you have ever used before- it's a composting toilet which requires that you spray out the bowl with vinegar after use, and throw all used toilet paper in the basket provided. This helps us maintain our eco-friendly, self-sustaining lifestyle. If this will be an issue for you, please do not book this property."

I would re-terate this in a message to guests when they request to book.

There's not much you can do about people who will book anyway, or think or say it's unsanitary. The average person isn't particularly adaptable, unfortunately. And if it were me, I'd tell the guys to just pee outside.

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

You can put toilet paper down a composting toilet, you've just got to make sure you provide the right type of toilet paper.  Standard 1 or 2 ply is fine.  It decomposes along with the other solids and gets turned over when you crank the handle.

I my family and I were using the toilet the paper would not be an issue.  I would prefer not to offer the option for folks not experienced.  But, I do understand.  TY

I have started getting back to each guest before booking and going back over the composting toilet before they arrive (If they respond) The wording you have used seems a bit harsh, but something along those lines should work.  I was trying not to say- we have a latrine for your use!  TY Elizabeth

@Elizabeth1880  Not sure who you are replying to, but if it's me and the wording you think is harsh is the part about not booking if the toilet will be an issue, most hosts find it's better to say something like that than get clueless guest who will mark you down for something, or cancel after arrival because they failed to read the listing thouroghly.  I have that wording in my listing, when I mention that I have a dog and a cat- "Please do not book this listing if you have allergies to pets".

Of course, it was just a suggestion- you should word things in whatever way you feel comfortable with.

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

Shock!

Never seen something like this before.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

@Elizabeth1880 , I get glowing reviews for my composting toilet. "This outhouse smells so good!" would usually be followed by "said no one ever", but not here. Guests say actually say this. They rate it sparkling clean.

It does smell only like pine, and in a year and a half, everyone has been able to handle it. Here is what I have posted on the door. I adapted it from one I found online. You can adapt it yourself if you like it. 

outhouse rulesouthouse rules

Awww @Lawrene0 I love that and one day I'm going to come and stay with you 🙂

Any time, @Kath9 ! Except right now... : (