Nature’s Head composting toilet in a listing

Elizabeth1880
Level 2
Rogersville, TN

Nature’s Head composting toilet in a listing

Looking for suggestions about how to explain to folks about how to use the Nature’s Head composting toilet in our rustic on farm cabin.  

19 Replies 19

@Lawrene0  We have something similar posted and we also do a step by step explanation.  What do you say in the listing description to explain to guests what to expect?  TYIA. Elizabeth

@Elizabeth1880 if you hover (with your mouse on a laptop) over my photo here, you will have the option to view my profile. Then you can click to the treehouse listing. There you can see what I say in my listing description and house rules.

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Elizabeth1880, yes, I agree with @Sarah977. Make it 100% clear on your listing that there is a composting toilet and reiterate it in a message to guests. Then, put a very clear sign up, as @Lawrene0 has done, explaining point by point how it works.

Elizabeth1880
Level 2
Rogersville, TN

Just to update!  The link to the Nature’s Head manual is now in the listing, the printed manual is in the bathroom, the coco coir is available in the bathroom fo guests, and the most recent guests have allowed their teen age children and grand children to pee in the toilet and overflow it one week, not add any coco coir with chronic diarrhea and over flowed it one week, and are fixing to do the same this week.  The previous guests overflowed the pee bucket  (due to inattention) the week they were here.  I contact each guest in advance to make sure they know what they signed up for.  I think Americans are just pitifully ignorant and inconsiderate.  Good thing I found another tumbling composter cheep, locally.  I am going to need it.

You'll be hard-pressed to try to classify any nationality into one bucket. Composting toilets are new to everyone at some point. Rather than blaming an entire country of being ignorant and inconsiderate, a more productive approach would be to find way to better educate and inform your guests. You have more control over the situation than you think.