Navigating the New Orleans STR Regulations and Contacting our new Local Representatives

Michael134
Level 2
New Orleans, LA

Navigating the New Orleans STR Regulations and Contacting our new Local Representatives

Hello All!

My name is Michael and I am a soon to be tulane Law Grad who has also started a STR Management company in New Orleans! I've had lots of experience helping clients navigate the complicated STR regulations the city has put in place and would love to assist other in ensuring they are compliant with local ordinances. Please feel free to ask questions and discuss experiences with the city here!

I would also love to get a large group of hosts together (where we don't have to pay a membership fee!) so we can all keep in touch and come out in great numbers when our new city council members and mayor decide to address the STR regulations. Currently, I feel the main issue is enforcement: if the city was able to CLEARLY define its STR regulations and properly enforce said regulations, all of this would be much easier. However, despite collecting $1/night from each reservation in the city to assist in enforcement, the city only has two employees that handle approving or denying STR permits. I find it absurd that a city whose economy is founded upon tourism refuses to allow its citizens to profit off said tourism economy - meanwhile, the city only reinvests th tourists dollars made back into tourism as oppossed to our schools and streets. With this said, please comment here or message me and we'll work on creating a group to help our local representatives truly understand the issues and how they can be resolved!

Michael

1 Reply 1
Kristen52
Level 1
New Orleans, LA

Hi Michael! I was glad to read this post and I'm shocked with all that has just gone down that I'm the 1st to respond. I have a STR in Broadmoor area. I think my license just expired yesterday. I planned on renewing it and was completely caught off guard when I saw this 9 month haunt on renewals. I rent out a section of my home and therefore contribute to the need for rentals. However, I STR through Airbnb a small mother in law studio apartment. 

I am confused that I haven't heard a word from Airbnb. I am skeptical of reapplying for my STR license as I could be denied. I am confused about it all! I completely agree with your statement about zero funding to our schools and roads! It's awful!!