Nearby listings are priced xx% lower. LOL!

Jiw0
Level 10
Chiang Mai, Thailand

Nearby listings are priced xx% lower. LOL!

And yet we're booked full, thou hopeless algorithm!  🙂 

Lowering prices will do what now..  It'll reduce my income AND AirBnB's income.   

The auto pricing feature has had a good run now, over a year I guess, and still it's not aware of international holidays (yet it is touted for hosts globally), doesn't recognize that in many places 'weekends' don't mean anything, doesn't take past ratings for value into account so it has no idea of premium versus basic listings.

If this is someone's pet project then whatevs, but maybe hosts can have an option to just turn this off and stop the distraction?

Capture.JPG

22 Replies 22
Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

You have to remember it's for the moment in your area was high now is low your area is not the only place that has this problem plus the holidays is around the Conner it really depends what guest is looking for and for what is best for them 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I thought those pricing features are there for amusement purposes only. There are just too many variables and they must be given the right degree of importance. I always thought the whole pricing thing was silly.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Jiw0

I once actually clicked to compare and my two bedroom apartment was compared with studios and those offering a room only. Totally useless !

@Jiw0, I wanted to check in and give you a thumbs up just for using the phrase "thou hopeless algorithm!".

Kimberly54
Level 10
San Diego, CA

@Jiw0, @Fred13:  Whole pricing, auto pricing, smart pricing...

Not sure I'm catching the difference--is there one?

For Smart Pricing, you can turn this on or off as you like.

Best,

Kim
Sue251
Level 5
Tasman, New Zealand

My suggested price is $33 which is the price of a bed in a 6 bed dorm room at my local backpackers. Crazy. Yes the algorithm sucks. Glad we hosts know our own worth. 

I agree!  AirBNB actually suggested I  lower my price to $37 as well.  I operate a 2 room  bed and breakfast which I do not live in, so a lot of the time the guest has the entire house to themselves (if there are no other guests).  I'm not willing to change the sheets for $37.  What a joke.  

Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Jiw0 I am glad to hear that you are doing well with many bookings! Please note that for every ascending then will eventually be a descending period i would advice you to change your price depending on demand. Happy hosting!!!

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Jiw0 "pet project" 😄 lol , you got my thumbs up for that.

I've set price on 10€ once just to see what smart pricing will suggest and they suggested 7 € 😄 ... for 2 bedroom apartment... . ... with parking.... in the city center of Zagreb ....during Advent time (  No  1 destination for this time of the year ).

When I set up 100 € they suggested 70 € or so...  

it doeasn't metter what your price is, they will always suggest few % lower, and that's their "smart" alghoritam 😛

It would be so much better if we would have some settings on that place instead of this useless tips., to adjust min and max stay for example. 

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I recently put in some major investments in the mechanicals of my listing. All new swimming pool pump, new pool heater, new control panel, brand new central AC compressor, WiFi thermostat and all brand new stainless steel appliances. All told, just for those few upgrades, I’m all in at about $11k. 

I constantly upgrade my listing with new stuff, so I raised my base rate. Well I get a notice from Airbnb that my listing is now not desirable to guest. Pulllllllleazzzzeeeeeeeee. I’m not working my tail off for $5 at the end of the day. This is not a charity or a homeless shelter. Guess what? It’s not my rates that are undesirable. It’s the guest who want to stay at our places for next to nothing that are undesirable. I’m relatively new to hosting but cheap attracts cheap. I also had a guest ask me to waive the cleaning fee. I said ‘no problem, I’ll tell the maid not to clean the house or change the sheets from the guest that stays before you’. That was not acceptable to the guest and agreed to the cleaning fee. 

@Rene-and-Zac0

I won't get the cleaner to change the sheets.....Gold!  Love it...I might use that.

Mark26
Level 10
Melbourne Beach, FL

Just moments ago I received AirBnb's latest "Lower your prices to get more bookings" email.  In it they provided a

handy link that will let me compare my prices and occupancy rate with my "competition". 

I looked...  and there was truly valuable information there.  It was a goldmine.

I was able to do a quick "Run of the numbers"  and I found that yes... it's true... "The Competition" has lower daily rates, and a higher occupancy rate. 

I also learned that I'm earning a dollar a week more than my competition, and working half as hard.

Right now, I'm working my ass off.  I'm a slave to the plantation, and have no time for myself. I can't imagine lowering my prices, just so I can work even harder for less.

Thank You AirBnB for proving once again that I know what I'm doing.

Other listings get booked at $83

• Icon_successThe average occupancy rate
  • Icon_successWeekday vs weekend prices
  • Icon_successTips for staying competitive
Colleen47
Level 10
Frisco, CO

@Jiw0 I like to set my base and ceiling prices and then leave it up to smart pricing. Maybe I get a bit less per night, but perhaps based on demand I get more rentals per year. I went off smart pricing for the holidays as I prefer to get the best possible rental, but as soon as Inturn it on I get an instant booking. 

Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Jiw0

I wonder if your competitors get a 'Nearby listings are priced xx% higher' notification.