Nearby listings are priced xx% lower. LOL!

Jiw0
Level 10
Chiang Mai, Thailand

Nearby listings are priced xx% lower. LOL!

And yet we're booked full, thou hopeless algorithm!  🙂 

Lowering prices will do what now..  It'll reduce my income AND AirBnB's income.   

The auto pricing feature has had a good run now, over a year I guess, and still it's not aware of international holidays (yet it is touted for hosts globally), doesn't recognize that in many places 'weekends' don't mean anything, doesn't take past ratings for value into account so it has no idea of premium versus basic listings.

If this is someone's pet project then whatevs, but maybe hosts can have an option to just turn this off and stop the distraction?

Capture.JPG

22 Replies 22
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I have been compared to somewhere an hour and a half drive away and just recently with a place 45 minutes drive away.

Both totally different communities.

David

It would be improved if you could self select your competitors, like the booking.com intel stats, to give genuine insight.

I'm in the city centre, a three iron away from the main railway station and metro - on the principal street too, yet I'm compared to adventitious places km's away. Rubbish in = rubbish out.

Hosts are at odds here with abb, I'm trying to find the pricing sweet spot for my listing vs abb driving for volume and market share.

Random listings are priced xx% lower! 

Or select a limit of the ~distance~ to be compared to, perhaps that would help; following David's reality of being evaluated with communities too far and thus totally different.

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Elena87@I know exactly what you mean about competition listings that are not on your same level. In my area, a host put up a tent in their backyard and rent it out nightly. Now when I search my area, I want to smack the dog crap out of the computer screen when I see a tent listed before a House. Maybe a separate catalogue of listings such as

1. Taliban rock caves

2. Tents, boxes and converted rubbishy bins.

3. Psycho host on meds, who shouldn’t be hosting but have no other income. 

4. Listings that charge for toilet paper, bed sheets and offer ‘fun size’ Snicker bar candies half eaten.

5. Host who are ultra dodgy And scam you. This includes any host limited to 90 renting sand is on day 264. Host with names like ‘sunshine’, ‘skipper’ or ‘patchouli ‘. 

Now I just laugh when I see these crazy things going on in the listings. I was seriously considering listing a burnt out car as a listing. I bet I’d get a booking too but would the Tent people be pissed at that point? LOL ‘You know it’s hard out here for a Host’. @Jiw0

Oh that is the BEST reply I have ever read.

just love it.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

If I could limit comparisons to say properties within 5 miles that would work for me.

David
Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Jiw0 @Graham-And-Michelle0 ‘Taliban Rock caves are booking nights at %39 percent lower than your 34 room French Castle. Lower your rates and your Taliban Rock cave could get %463 more bookings. Try it now!’ Pffffttttttttttttttt!! This is why I’m still pissed at don Rumsfeld and Richard Chaney ....can’t even get a decent Taliban cave at a good rate these days. 

Zappa0
Level 10
Key West, FL

They also don't know about major festivals that people come in for. It suggested I charge $28 one time for an entire place. I ignore those, look at how much availability there is in the hotels (kayak.com search), check the local events calendar and plan from there.