Need Advice From Experienced Hosts On Leaving A Negative Review related to Blood Stains

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

Need Advice From Experienced Hosts On Leaving A Negative Review related to Blood Stains

Hi Everyone,

I've been hosting for a bit less than a month and absolutely love it. However, I had a rather freakish experience with some guests who stayed last night and could use a bit of guidance from more experienced hosts. I'd like to say first that I have already reported this matter to Airbnb Customer Support, who say they will kick it up to their Trip Advisor staff, whatever that means. In brief, the guests (an older couple) were pleasant enough, but I overheard a hacking cough off and on from the hot tub / courtyard area, and later from their suite (which is attached to my living area via a breezeway). They left a very nice review for me in my comment book, and when they checked out they told me how much they enjoyed their stay. When I entered the suite to clean (I had only a couple of hours to get it ready for the next guests checking in today) I found blood spatters EVERYWHERE. It looked a bit like something out of a Hitchcock movie (think 'Psycho'). Blood spatters in the shower; on the kitchen counter; in the bathroom sink; on the sleeve of one of the white spa robes I provide (inside and out); on the sheets; on the pillow cases; even on my newly painted designer-colored walls. As I work in the healthcare field, I quickly donned my gloves, got my S/O (who is a PhD chemist) and we set about sterilizing EVERYTHING with hot water and bleach (which not all Airbnb hosts would know to do). I suspect that one of them may have active turbuculosis or a severe bronchial issue going on, but whatever the case, it was literally a nightmare to clean (I am not sure I will keep the linens even if I get them clean  - I have taken photos of everything and reported this to Airbnb, as stated). So now I am faced with having to decide whether to leave a negative review or stay silent as if it is a health issue I could be violating the guests' right to privacy. But I feel angry that they left my beautiful suite (everything in it is brand new) in this condition. There were also coffee grounds all over the kitchen sink and crumbs in the bedroom on the side tables and they did not use any of the 8 coasters I provide.

I thought of writing something like this in the review: "They were very pleasant but may be better suited to stay in environments that are professionally equipped to remove stains from linens and properly sterilize stained surfaces such as counter tops, sinks, and showers." But I wonder if even this could result in the guest contesting the review or be seen as a violation of his or her privacy. Even more importantly (to me) is the thought that other hosts might not have the medical awareness I have and they may be picking up linens with blood or **bleep**, etc, and risking possible infection (Hep C, AIDS, etc) if they have an open cut on their hands. I have not had time to do an in-depth search, but the Airbnb C/S rep was not aware of any information Airbnb provides hosts on how to safely clean up human bodily fluids. This seems to be a critical issue to address with hosts, for many reasons.

If any of you can speak to this - leaving a review, and also dealing with bodily fluids and Airbnb's responsibility toward educating hosts in regard to ensuring their health and safety, I'd love to hear from you. Also, had I not known how to properly sterilize the suite (including all the dishes they had used, linens, etc) the guests that followed may also have been exposed to blood-born pathogens / contaminants.  I'd post some of the pictures for you to see but they really are gross and a bit upsetting.

Thanks, 

Rebecca

22 Replies 22
Ali40
Level 10
Crozet, VA

You don't have to go in to detail on the review. Say something like "pleasant couple, but left the space significantly messier than previous guest". And give the a "thumbs down" 

That way future guest will be forewarned 

Thanks for the reply. I've read on forums that it is relatively easy for guests to get negative reviews moved by Airbnb, so I am wondering if it is worth it. Guess that is a decision only I can make.

Kate157
Level 10
SF, CA

Hi @Rebecca181, you could also use the "perhaps better suited to a hotel environment" in your review. You could also mention in the private part of the review that you were concerned about their health issues as you found significant blood spatter within your space, and this is not normal.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Rebecca181

OMG they are better suited in hospital enviroment . This is serious issue, what if another host has children or is pregnant or something?

I would leave a review with no mercy, sorry... they didn't care about you and your future guests why would you care about them?

"Guests left the apartment full of blood splatters everywhere. Extra cleaning and professional sanitizing was needed. Not recommend."

Amen!

@Branka-and-Silvia0 'Amen' indeed! You have a good point there - A hospital environment was really what they appeared to need. I did leave a truthful review, but did not specifically use the word 'blood' - but it should be obvious what I am referring to when any host reads my review. It is still unbelievable to me that this happened during my first month hosting - Let's hope it is the last!

@Rebecca181

yes, you are totally right, it is better without that word. 

I wish you more luck in the future hosting 🙂

Annette33
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

@Rebecca181 , so sorry this has happened to you and your place, it really sounds awful! Yes, I would leave a review, and I like what you are ready to post. only thing I would change is: ......."and properly clean (instead of the word sterilize).....", that diffuses it a bit, yet gets the point across to us non medical people. I wouldn't worry about them getting the review possibly removed - they know what they did, and they know you are not pleased.

But first of all, I would directly contact those guests and ask them what that was all about. So what if it makes them a bit uncomfirtable, they should be!  You seem very diplomatic and you'll find the right words. Good luck!

I am with you @Annette33 100% - @Rebecca181  so sorry this had to happen - sounds awful. I too am in the start of my 2nd month and this had to be awful to deal with. I think the pros like Annette have much guidance that I've been following and reading. I am very grateful indeed. Hope all your guest from this point forward will be a delight and super easy, clean and a joy. Good luck and best to you.

Vielen Dank fuer das Kompliment, @Clara116 , wie Sie vielleicht gesehen haben, so bin ich urspruenglich aus Deutschland. Wo haven Sie gewohnt? Ich habe uebrigens auch viele Jahre in Florida gewohnt, in  Gainesville, wo ich an der Uni Deutsch unterrichtete,  und in Ocala. 

@Annette33

Great to read your response and greeting and info about your life - I'm short on time tonight but wanted to respond quickly

and naturally I'm much slower writing in German - I moved back 20 yrs. ago. But, I understand everything I read and hear. I lived in Berlin for the first year over there and then as I toured with professional jazz musicians and dancers all over Europe I lived in the "Ruhr Pot" - eigentlich, in Herne, in die nahe von Bochum. I traveled much and loved living there. My dearest best friend ever lives in Dinslaken so I stay in very close contact with several people in Germany and visit when I can. My friend is very sick this last year and I am in contact daily with her.  Our language together is Deutsch she doesn't speak English.  Sooooooo I am very connected still.

You have an awesome place and I follow your advice &  wisdom.......thanks for that........more later. warmest greetings from Pensacola

Renee77
Level 2
Salem, OR

I think it would be a diservace to other hosts to give anything other than an honest review. As mentioned, you don't have to give all the grizzly details but from what you've described, they left you place much dirtier then the vast majority of guests would have. Articulating the truth in your review of them could spaw some objection, it could also bring something to their attention that they may not have recognised as a problem, therefore, everyone would benefit the information you provide. You mentioned your S/O has a Ph.d so learn from what he was taught reguarding dealing with patients ect and don't make it personall.

I was in the window coverings buisiness for a few years which involved going into every room of customers homes. One thing I learned was that, how someone dresses, how nice their car is, what they do for a living,  how much money they make or how educated they are doesn't at all indicate how they live or keep house. I've seen judges houses, large expensive homes that were disasters. Hope this helps

Renee ****

Huaai0
Level 10
British Columbia, Canada

@Rebecca181

Mentioning the blood spatter in your review is not good idea also because it may scare upcoming guests away if they are savvy enough to track your reviews for your previous guests. It's like a house seller telling buyers that a homicide happened in the house on sale before.

Huaai0
Level 10
British Columbia, Canada

@Rebecca181

You should ask for security deposit because cleaning body fluids thoroughly costs a lot and you may also throw away all the linen and/or sleeping robes that they had touched. This is an unfortunate situation, truly sorry to hear about it. 

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

How very sad for both parties. Maybe you could text them and ask if they are unwell and mention what you found just to get some clarification. The illness could be terminal, not contagious but it would be good to find out as a lot of infectious diseases need to be notifiable to health officials. Kia kaha