Need Housekeeper in NYC for Covid workers program

S14
Level 9
New York, NY

Need Housekeeper in NYC for Covid workers program

I want to host some of the health care workers flocking to NYC to help with the COVID crisis.  I understand the specific cleaning guidelines that Airbnb has provided for that. But who will do it? Our regular housekeeper refuses because she doesn't want to risk bringing an infection to her young children. I"m disabled so I can't do it myself. Obviously, this would have to be someone with references who is capable and reliable. We are in Brooklyn, NY. Any leads?

7 Replies 7
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@S14  I certainly understand your housekeeper's concerns, but maybe you could put together some scientific information for her that might ease her mind. If you simply leave the unit unoccupied for a week, there won't be anything in there that she can get infected from. The virus only lives for about 3 days on hard surfaces like metal, and only for a few hours on soft furnishings. So a week should be more than plenty. (It has been shown to live for up to 27 days in some circumstances, but that's uncommon and depends on on a certain temperature and humidity level, as far as I've read) Then try to get a health-care worker who'll be there for the long haul, and let them know they'll have to look after their own cleaning while in residence. Of course if your normal cleaner simply refuses even if given the facts re cleaning during COVID , you just have to respect that.

If you do manage to get her or someone else to clean, remove all extraneous stuff from the unit, so there is less to deal with. Things like throw pillows, throw rugs, lots of extra towels, decorative items, whatever isn't really essential to whoever might stay there. Leave them plenty of cleaning products. I doubt the health care workers will be spending much time at home anyway- they just need a place to lay their exhausted bodies down and sleep before heading off to the battlegrounds again.

S14
Level 9
New York, NY

Hi Sarah,

Thank you for your excellent comments. I should have explained in my post that my housekeeper is afraid to ride the subway, which is her only way to get to the job. She has very young children and there are still idiots riding the subway without any PPE or precautions. Yes, I agree that leaving the space vacant for a week after the stay should resolve any concerns about cleaning in the apartment. The real problem is more basic -- how to get someone here. You see, Brooklyn is so big that almost no one can walk here -- well, it would be amazing and a miracle to find someone withing walking distance. Our whole city is kinda on lockdown. So everyone is afraid to go anywhere, including subways -- and concerns about car services are even bigger. Sigh....

@S14  Ah, well I can see the issue now. Of course she shouldn't be riding the subway. And I do understand you're all on lockdown, although I know some people are not taking it seriously (which is hard to fathom at this point). Maybe contact whatever entities are coordinating housing for medical workers, explain that you wish to provide housing but have this cleaning dilemma, and see if they might have a lead on where you could find a cleaner for this?

S14
Level 9
New York, NY

The irony is that the only entity I know of helping COVID workers find housing is Airbnb. They are not exactly reachable at this time. That's why I'm asking here. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Surprisingly hospitals in such a large city don’t have accommodation services to help their staff find a home, particularly during Covid. @S14 

Normally they book hotel and other accommodation for their staff during such emergencies.

Tiqua0
Level 1
Hempstead, NY

Hi if you are looking for housekeeping services we can definitely help you out MadeMaidsCleaning is the name of the company. Are you still looking for someone?

I’ve got about 100 rooms in retreat center in Sparrow Bush NY 12780.  Do you do cleaning of bathrooms only? And if so, how much is one bathroom if I do 60 bathrooms at a time?