Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Need advice on a weird situation with a guest

Sarah232
Level 2
South Portland, ME

Need advice on a weird situation with a guest

I need advice for both how to handle situation and how to handle review after the fact:

My current guests are a nice older couple (late 60's), however the gentleman has dementia.  His wife thought he'd be fine with the trip, but it's becomming evident that he may not be.  

I noticed a few weird little things, like that he kept losing his phone, was wandering around (non-threteningly) with my tomato knife, left me a tiny note on a sewing pin with weird characters, told me he knew I was a teacher because he'd gone through one of my notebooks, left on lights, locked doors not used, etc.

Yesterday afternoon, the wife met me upon my arrival home from work.  She was upset and embarassed, but let me know that her husband has dementia and she thought he'd be fine for the trip, but that while she was showering, he had gone into my bedroom to collect all of my green hangers because he has a fixation with green hangers.  

She was upset with him and they had had an arguement.  She also made him apologize to me which was awkward since he didn't understand why it was wrong.  He could only understand the hangers, not the privacy issue.  She indicated that she was considering leaving today and did not expect me to refund her for the rest of the week.

I thanked her (and him) for the apology and told her I was sorry for her frustration and vacation disappointment.  I also said I would happily refund them for nights not spent in my home.  It was an awkward moment that I did not expect.  I didn't encourage her to stay, but also did not make it clear that I wish they would go.  

After locking unused bedroom doors, I left for the night and have not returned.  With them in my home, it is awkward at best, and possibly unsafe on the other end (people with dementia can get pretty hostile when confused and out of their routine). 

So, they're a nice old couple, and the wife is clearly embarassed, upset, disappointed, etc.  So, I don't want to be unkind...I want to be tactful but still restore the relaxed use of my own home.

Should I contact her to make sure she's gone (I can't get home until later) or strait out ask her to go?

When I write a review, I don't want to say anything about them that will hurt their feelings, but I also wouldn't want another host to have this couple in their home.  Other than a error in judgement about the level of dementia the husband has, I don't think it is either of their fault that they're not good guests.

Any advice would be appreciated. 

Thanks,

Sarah

4 Replies 4
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Certainly check to see if they have gone,  say that she had mentioned leaving and as you will not be home to late just wanted to check the situation.

Not sure the review matters, sounds like he is beyond further trips.

David

They're gone.  How would you review them?

I would thumbs down them.

In the review I would just say "Joseph and Mary Ann stayed with me for 3 days but had to cut their stay short because of some issues that were not under Mary Ann's control."

In the private part of the review I would say that I was so sorry that Joseph's health concerns made it difficult for them.

In the "following house rules" star system I would give 1 star.

And in the private feed back to Airbnb I would report the facts as I saw them.

Thank you.  This is very helpful.