Need advice on an odd situation

Ann487
Level 4
Waterville, ME

Need advice on an odd situation

Hello hosts! Need some advice plse. I just met with a new guest at check-in. I was expecting a woman by herself. But I got a man.
He said that the woman who made the reservation and with whom I’ve been msging with all day is his wife.

I allowed him to stay but I want to document somewhere that he is not the person whose profile was validated, or who made the reservation, or is the person I’ve been chatting with up until today. How should I document this should a problem arise? Thanks, Ann

12 Replies 12
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Ann487 Third party bookings are against Airbnb policy. There isn’t much point in documenting anything.  You are under no obligation to grant access to someone who didn’t book your place, of course. 

This is where asking the right questions at booking is important, to detect potential problems, red flags, inconsistencies etc. You can also require the booking guest to supply the full names of all guests who will be on the booking and staying at the house. Put this in your house rules. May not help for a booking for one, but is helpful in many cases. 

Very helpful, thanks!

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Ann487 this is a guest misunderstanding in some cases, scam in others. People don't understand that ABB bookings are non-transferrable. If a person books, they need to stay. How else can they leave an accurate review? What happens if someone does damage and the person who booked does not want to be responsible since they didn't stay?

Are you a home share host or a remote host? Do you normally ask for ID? I would message the person who booked and say:

"Hi so and so:

Just wanted to let you know that your husband arrived. I was a little unprepared as I was expecting you! You may not realize, but Airbnb does not allow third party bookings due to liability issues. I am happy to have him stay, but I would appreciate it if you could add his profile to your reservation. I can walk you through this if you need help. Thanks so much!"

Guests can add people to the reservation in their screen. If this person does not have an ABB profile, I would insist that he fill one out. You can blame it on ABB policies and your insurance. 

Great advice, thanks!

Laura, how do I instruct someone to add a profile to a reservation? Ann

They can just go to their trips dashboard to add other guests to the booking @Ann487 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Ann487 

@Colleen253 is right. But if you are in the position now where you're thinking, it is what it is, then I would suggest you send a message on Airbnb to the wife (the booker) and say something like: "Hello xx, I have just met your husband and checked him in. He informed me that you would not be accompanying him on this reservation. I would like to keep open communication with you here so we can keep everything on the Airbnb platform. In case of an emergency situation, may I please have his cell phone number? Thanks so much."

This has happened to me a few times but usually, the wife (it's always the wife) has the courtesy to send me a message about the change of plans a day or two before arrival.

Yes! Thank you

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Ann487 

@Colleen253  is correct her earliest message.

Just this past few days, I had a previously booked guest cancel.  When the guest 1st booked, her phone number had an extra digit and 4.5 stars. Ok hmm.  How did that get through the verification process? She got that phone # straightened out.  Told me she had a second account, that she forgot about.  Um, ok.  4 days before check in, on a 3 night stay, she had to work on check in day.  Couldn't arrive until at least 2 hours after latest check in time. Offered to pay for night, even though arriving next day. Ugh!  Next question, friend (on booking), took the day off.  Could the friend come early and check in.  Um, no, booking guest must arrive before or with other guests.  Ok, can the reservation be transferred to the friend?  Um, no, Airbnb does not allow this....

Online messaging via Airbnb, the whole time....

She asked if she could cancel the reservation and have the friend rebook. I said ok, without further comment.  She cancelled and promised to bring a present from her home town. 

My really bad, seeing red flags all over this booking.

Solution, I blocked the dates before the friend could request to book. Initial guest cancelled  therefore not my record.  And I have no obligation to the other party.

Ultimately my gut feeling that this was going to go bad.  I did contact Airbnb and they noted the situation on the guest record.  Just for future reference.

Hope this experience helps.

Very helpful

Tom934
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

It does seem far too easy for guests to just set up a new profile to get around any previous feedback issues. Also I have had a a couple of guests show up for check in and then have a colleague or family member actually stay at the place. I only found out when they did not respond to messages and checked out over an hour late with me waiting at the front door. Both times I explained the breach of house rules by the guests in the rating. But they can just set up a new profile with a new email address and mobile number.

Yes, It seems to be many breaches to the “no third party booking” rule. I have considered checking IDs during check-in but it would mean having to wait around all afternoon/evening 🙁