Need advice on writing a bad review?

Ale74
Level 2
Mexico City, Mexico

Need advice on writing a bad review?

Hello everyone!

I'm really torn right now. I was really exited to start hosting in Airbnb, everyone told me that the first time would be difficult, but I could never imagine it would be this way, maybe I wasn't lucky enough.

When my guest arrived he looked really kind/polite (he is only 19, and this was his 1st time in Airbnb). He asked for the rules and I told him that my only rules where:

1 not to have people over

2 no parties, no loud sounds

3 be respectfull

Just half an hour later I found out than his "girlfriend" was at my place when his reservation said 1 guest only. I didn't give much importance...

Later that night, around 2am I heard both arriving and doing a lot of noice. The next morning I had a conversation about that I was only expecting 1 guest, as his reservation said. Hehe asked for my permission so that the "girlfriend" could stay and I agreed (because I didn't want to have a bad review).

The next day he tels me that his phone charger disapeared, when he was the olny one holding keys from that room.

Later (sunday night) he arrives around 1 am with that same girl, puts loud music on and they start their own party in the balcony with drinks and all... later on they start having really loud sex... after sex the start arguing, screaming at each other and I hear the girl crying outside my door.

Of course my neighbors where really upset and the buildings' security told me they couldn't let him in, so I had the same conversation with the guest.

He apologized, but there was nothingelse for me to do, so I asked him lo leave.

When he left I found a horrible mess in the room, the bedding with really bad (after sex) stains, condoms, alcohol and food.

Now I feel guilty because he is really young and this was his first experience as a guest so I don't know what to do.

5 Replies 5
Noel63
Level 10
Coober Pedy, Australia

John Doe stayed at my listing for x nights. I had complaints from the neighbours about the amount of noise. It got to a  point where building security refused to let him back inside, so I had to ask him to leave. The room was not left in a clean and tidy manner, but as I asked him to leave prematurely I can understand this.

Why did security block him? Was it because of the noise?

Ale74
Level 2
Mexico City, Mexico

Hi Noel, security warned the building administration and told me this person couldn't stay in the building. I'm not sure if one of the neighbors heard what was happening and I told them, but I've never felt so insecure inside my home. I really don't mind the dirtiness of the room, but because of this entire experience I'm not sure if I should keep on hosting.

Noel63
Level 10
Coober Pedy, Australia

@Ale74I would give hosting another go. You've had a really bad experience, but it can only get better from here.

@Ale74

One suggestion is to screen guests more thoroughly and make sure your guest is aware of and acknowledges that house rules must be respected before or immediately after the reservation is confirmed. Ask questions about purpose of their trip, who are they travelling with, what are their plans while they stay with you, and do they understand no people over means NO PEOPLE OVER.

I usually tell my guests upfront during the initial exchange of messages that I am extremely strict about no guest(s) of the ABB guest rule - this is my home and I absolutely will not tolerate the ABB guest bringing a stranger (to me) into my home so if this is in any way hard to understand or respect, then just please stay somewhere else. I am not afraid of bad reviews, but I am afraid of guests trying to bring strangers into my home or abusing my hospitality and trust.

In terms of how to write a review @Noel63 gave you a great example. Here's what I'd probably write......... "GUEST was a 1st time ABB user and booked for X nights for 1 guest. He seemed nice enough during check in but he quickly violated most of the house rules (no unapproved guests, no loud music). Neighbors complained about the noise and building security refused to let him (and GF) into the building so I had to ask him to leave. Room was left messy with left over food and sheets were stained."

Patricia1091
Level 2
Stratham, NH

I too am new to the air BnB hosting. I’ve been lucky , I’ve had about 12 great guests, but then...it happened..,at first I was nervous because there was no explanation w his reservation, it looked like he didn’t speak English. So I let that go, then he announced he wanted to show up 2 hours early, I said check in won’t be until 2:00. He was here at 2:03. I have my wishes written pretty clearly in the guest house, but I had a strange vibe! It was like he made it a point not to speak w us, avoiding us. Again I thought maybe the language barrier. 

Then around 10:30 pm, the smoke alarm that is wired in my house went off, I sent my husband over, he said “he’s cooking pizza to high I guess”.

so today I heard them leaving and I stuck my head out and they smiled and waved, no conversation. 

I walked in to what would have been a problem if I went in later! 2 inches of water on the bathroom floor, seeping in to the wood work , rugs and furniture. Shampoos spilling everywhere...ok , so he didn’t understand shower curtains, then I go to find my dads old wooden cutting board all burnt and warped! It was used as a pizza pan...the final straw was cigarette butts in my plants and ashes all over the decking. On top of it all the place was pretty trashed. They drank all the coffee, used every paper towel and tissues,(not to clean or mop up) left beer and wine open and around, bags of trash on the counter...I know it could have been worse, but I’m kind of at a loss. If I give the review I want to, this guy knows where I live and he’s only an hour away...I don’t charge a cleaning fee, but I think that’s about to change! Thanks for any advice.( ps, he has no reviews, )