Need help arguing the benefits of Airbnb to local officials

Kimberly250
Level 2
Madison, WI

Need help arguing the benefits of Airbnb to local officials

Our most recent state budget has verbiage that allows local communities (cities, towns, etc) to limit short-term rentals (such as Airbnb and VRBO) to a minimum of 7 days and a maximum of 180 days/year. Our local city commission is forming a task force to discuss this idea and what they might want to do.  Since I've been invited to the table, I would like to provide a bullet list of benefits of NOT writing this type of regulation.  Since the area is very dependant of tourism dollars, there is the obvious argument that if you limit this type of lodging, you will discourage visitors to the area .  Making regular users of Airbnb to  book a minimum of 7 nights will force them to either choose traditional lodging (B and B's, hotels, etc) or go elsewhere.  What are some other benefits of allowing indivduals to host guests in their home at a fee?  Here's a start to my list.  Please add your ideas...

Not restricting Airbnb and other short-term vacation rentals in our community will...

1. Allow for a better variety of lodging options in our area allowing us to appeal to a wider variety of visitors

2. Allow local home owners who may not be directly involved in the tourism trade to benefit from the increased visitorship in the area and supplement their income.  Rather than having a negative attitude about seasonal visitors such as bumper stickers that say, "If it's called tourism season, why can't we shoot them?" locals would welcome the boost in their income.

3. Allow a free and open marketplace that would promote all lodging hosts to offer the best offerings possible.  Competition keeps everyone on their toes and helps everyone improve what they offer.

What else?

0 Replies 0