Need help, bad review.

Ximena54
Level 2
Marceline, MO

Need help, bad review.

We recently hosted a couple that left us a really bad review which misrepresented many facts. Do we reply with the facts? We are superhosts and this is the only bad review we have had in 10 years.

This is her review
Super disappointed with this experience. Upon arrival at the property, the owner/host showed up wi the her large dog who was off leash. Her dog then attacked my small dogs (under 10 pounds and both on leashes). I was screaming for help and my husband had to block the host’s dog from further attacking ours. While I am screaming for help, the owner/host did not intervene or even come to our assistance. After several minutes she finally came over from around the side of the house and simply said “she’s a friendly dog”, although we had just witnessed otherwise. That night we were out of several items that were listed as supplied in the listings, including grilling equipment. We contacted the host but they stated they were not close by and that the renters who left earlier that day had used all the items we needed.l, so we were unable to cook our first night at the cabin. The next day, the host showed up unannounced and potentially saw me without clothing because he did not notify us he was coming. Then he proceeded to do work in the yard without regard for the fact we are there on vacation. Additionally, the host insisted that I had to send her my personal information in order for her to send me check in instructions. When I told her I did not feel comfortable with this and that it was against Airbnb guidelines, she told me there was no other way to get my the information, but I know that to be incorrect as I have booked several trips through Airbnb.

1. We live on the property and I did show up in our car with our dog (no leash) to bring a welcome package and the dog slipped out of the car to greet them, the guest screamed and I ran to get me dog, I did not wait several minutes.

2. She says that they were out of several items including grilling equipment and were unable to cook that night at the cabin:
We supply all grilling equipment like tongs and brush, 1 have 1 gas grill and 1 charcoal grill that we supply the charcoal upon prior request.and the kitchen is fully equipped has a gas stove oven and microwave.  They called us that night to say that there was no charcoal and we were out of town and could not go and buy the charcoal for them  (we should not have to do this anyway and is available at the store 3 miles away)

3.The host showed up unannounced and potentially saw me without clothing because he did not notify us he was coming. Then he proceeded to do work in the yard without regard for the fact we are there on vacation.: 
My husband did go and delivered a new grill this is never mentioned but went to the back of the cabin and when you arrive you can NEVER see inside the cabin. he did NOT proceed to do yard work.

the host insisted that I had to send her my personal information in order for her to send me check in instructions. When I told her I did not feel comfortable with this and that it was against Airbnb guidelines, she told me there was no other way to get my the information, but I know that to be incorrect as I have booked several trips through Airbnb.
I send a 8 page PDF to all guest where I have to ask the guest for private email as Airbnb does not have a way to attach documents besides JPGS. I have tried to convert the PDF to JPG and it is not readable, after telling her this I attached the PDF to our website and sent her the link where she was able to get the PDF, she also says she knows that to be incorrect as she has booked SEVERAL trips through Airbnb - I checked how many trips: 1  before ours

I contacted Airbnb to see if the could do something and they said no because this is her opinion and does not violate Airbnb review content guidelines.

Do we respond or just let it go...?

4 Replies 4
Lenore22
Level 10
California, United States

I would respond as briefly and neutrally as possible with future guests in mind (and then be sure to respond to several positive reviews so this isn't your only response-- thereby calling it to attention):

If it were me, I would express:

- so sorry my dog got away from me off leash. Although I ran to stop their enthusiasm, I understand your dogs were scared and it probably got your stay off on the wrong foot.

This certainly isn't the norm. (Gives context for future guests)

- we do ask for email addresses before check-in to send a PDF, which cannot be sent through the platform (this way it won't be a surprise or concerning to future guests)

- its true we ran out of charcoal. Since we supply a gas grill, charcoal grill & utensils and we were out of town, most guests use the gas grill or supply their own charcoal.

- I assure you that no part of the inside cabin can be seen from the outside. My husband did deliver a new grill, but left right away. We'll will be sure to notify guests anytime we plan to come into the property in the future.

Lenore22
Level 10
California, United States

Right after the PDF comment- maybe say, "the 1 stay you had previous to ours may not have required a rental agreement, but it is something required by our insurance and is fairly standard."

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Ximena54 Yes, by all means, respond. Keep it brief, be professional. Resist any urge to disparage the guest. A response will only appear to your future guests and is meant to reassure them that booking with you is a good idea, which a calm, pro response and your other reviews will do. 

Ximena54
Level 2
Marceline, MO

I responded to our guest  with the recommendation @Lenore22 in 

California, United States :
Laura we are so sorry that my dog got away from me off leash. Although I ran to stop his enthusiasm, I understand you and your dogs were scared and it probably got your stay off on the wrong foot. This certainly isn't the norm. We do ask for email addresses before check-in to send a PDF, which cannot be sent through the Airbnb Platform and Airbnb is aware of this. That is the reason that I put it on our website so you could access it and print it. It is true that we ran out of charcoal. Since we supply a gas stove-microwave, gas grill, charcoal grill & utensils and if we were in town we would be happy to go to the store and purchase it. Most guests use the gas grill or supply their own charcoal. I assure you that no part of the inside cabin can be seen from the outside. My husband did deliver a new grill, but left right away. We'll will be sure to notify guests anytime we plan to come into the property in the future. Again we apologize for your disappointing experience.

Last night she responded:
Your dog did not run up to ours out of “enthusiasm” as your response stated. Your dog actually barred teeth and bit our dog. That’s when I started screaming. We had a $300 vet visit and 2 weeks of antibiotics as a result of your dogs attack on ours, so your attempt to dismiss this as something innocent instead of a vicious attack is very disturbing.

I have been in contact with Airbnb support and they directed me to contact you for a refund for the first night of our stay, as your actions upon our arrival ruined our entire stay. We are actually out money after the vet visit and medications. I actually wanted to leave that night but my husband was worried you were retaliate somehow with the listing, so we stayed. Our entire vacation was ruined and our dogs suffered for weeks now.

Please resold within 24 hours regarding our refund request. If we do not hear from you, we will be forced to pursue other legal options to recoup our losses.

Our dog has never NEVER bares his 
teeth or growled to anyone. When I got my dog the dog did not have a bite and was not even whimpering.  If I had had a dog that was bitten by an other dog the first thing is ask if the dog that had bitten my dog is asked for vaccinations.. but when I ran over to them she did not say a word... 
Following is the Conversation that weekend: does it look like she had a dog that needed to go to the vet:
Ximena11:33 AM
GUEST NAME, my husband just delivered a new grill even though the Weber grill does work although it can be finicky on the controls. He also delivered a new grill for the charcoal grill and charcoal and lighter. We provide charcoal on request but we try to keep firewood on hand.

GUEST5:21 PM
Thanks for dropping the grill off. We are out of firewood as we used the small amount that was left of us last night. Can you please drop more off for our use tonight. Thank you.

Michael5:25 PM
All you have to do is go to the wood pile down by the bend and you will find plenty of wood

GUEST5:27 PM
Okay thanks! We saw it there but didn’t know if we could help ourselves. 🙂

I send her a refund for the whole weekend, do not want to deal with her again.

Airbnb has suspended out account!! No notice or notification. I have been calling Airbnb since Thursday and still not response from them.... I am so upset!!
Any Ideas how to contact a manager at Airnb. When I called to see if I could have her review removed they told me no. so I asked if it would affect our reservation and they said no as our reviews were a 4.9... that one bad review should not affect it.