Need help with a review

Kim159
Level 2
Nashville, TN

Need help with a review

We had 2 young guys stay in our downstairs apartment, they arrived in very late every night from a night out on the town and continued to be loud for several hours into the night. Obviously we have quite times after 10pm.

The main problem was one morning we awoke to find that our 100lb, outside dog was missing. We drove around our area and posted his info on the local missing pets websites. We returned home 3 hours later to find his collar on the basment stairs and him laying next to the apartment door, not in his fenced area. I knocked on the apartment and one of the guys admitted they arrived in late overnight and drunk, brought the dog inside with them, passed out and forgot he was there until they heard him in the morning and that he had just let him back outside.

We do have a "no pets" policy. Although it doesn't specify, "please don't take our dog from his fenced area and bring him inside." 

Upon checkout the apartment was fine, only muddy pawprints, a spilled drink, and 2 unwashed dishes. In the review, I will say something about not respecting quiet times, but what about the issue with our dog?

1 Reply 1
Hilary-And-Ed0
Level 10
Brookline, MA

From my perspective, these were guests who in no way respected your rules. Good that you are mentioning the noise.  I think it is very relevant that they took a live animal into the space (even if it was yours - that is theft), and then lost it for you.  It should be understood not to manage someone else's pet, drunk or not.

The muddy footprints, unwashed dishes, no big deal.  These things happen.

Even though it should all be clear, add "dog must be left alone" (or something to that effect which might not be alarming to a prospective guest) to your house rules.