Negative Star

Lori241
Level 2
Milwaukee, WI

Negative Star

I haven't yet hosted and already have a negative star! Where does that come from??

19 Replies 19
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Not sure what you mean? I looked at your listing and can not see anything untowards. You will not have any visible stars until you have a few reviews, three I think is the minimum.

John28
Level 6
Honolulu, HI

@Lori241Oh so it’s not just me they are targeting?  I’ve got the exact same problem. I have two listings, one is a room within the second listing, my entire home. I haven’t had a booking yet this year for the entire home listing yet it says -* is what I need to work on, it also says that my acceptance rate is 75%, when I had it on instant book the entire year and have had to cancel once, but according to their policy that is one of the “perks” of consistently trying to encourage instant book. Not one single booking was made that wasn’t on instant book, and on top of that I sent them a special offer, but they never accepted it (two times this occurred) so, the system, which is all screwed up was telling me I had to pre-approve or decline after I removed the special offer. I keep getting the run around with people who claim to be from AIRBNB, but I’m convinced someone or some entity has been able to spoof the real Airbnb.com website and emails. If I sent a special offer and pre-approved them, why should I have to “decline” the pre-approval I had already removed? (Yeah, try and follow that logic!) The other issue I have is they are saying on the other listing I need to host two more trips in order to become a super host. So, do they want me to kick out the guests who are staying and they have been here for a month, so I can be a super host? None of anything they do is making sense anymore! By the way, all five stars on every review I’ve had before and I believe only one person didn’t leave one because it was a man and his mistress, and I’m sure they didn’t want the world to know about their affair!! 

@Sandra126 @Lori241you can’t see it. It’s only visible to the person hosting to know what they need to work on. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Lori241, you do not even have a single review yet in either property. Where you see this 'negative' star? 

Btw, just a thought, but you are offering an entire home for $75 (5 guests / 2.5 bathrooms) and the host (you) said you will mostly be away, that is an invitation to > PARTY TIME!

Your second listing with 8 person allowed can be another perfect candidate.

You are new, best to stay well on this side of caution.

Emily487
Level 10
KCMO, MO

Welcome to hosting! Your places look great.

I strongly suggest you change your check in time ASAP.

Your check-in time is 10 am - 9 pm and your check-out time is 12 noon. You will run into two problems: guests will overlap AND you won't have any built-in time for the cleaners.

I would keep your checkout of 12 noon and move the check-in to between 4pm-9pm. 

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Lori241 What you are seeing now happens with every 'new' listing the past few months. Airbnb now 'motivates' new hosts / hosts with new listings by featuring 'warnings' that your performance is already lacking and sub-par by comparing you with the 'stats' you need to remain listed on the platform and also to qualify for the filtering categories like 'Family' and 'Work'.

I'm not sure why they are doing this now (didn't happen when I started a year and a half ago) but I'm guessing that they have hired some renowned international psychologist  or psychiatrist who did his or her dissertation on 'The Stockholm Syndrome' and this pysch professional believes that such advertisements of failure on the part of hosts' new listings will make them doubt themselves and their hosting abilities and fear that they will not 'make it' and/or be suspended or delisted, thereby making the host more likely to submit and defer to all and any 'requirements' such as 'Instant Booking', 'Group Bookings', accepting 'Emotional Support Animals', etc, and become blind, unquestioning servants dependent on the approval of Airbnb. 

You may hear this is a computer 'glitch' from Airbnb support, but it is not. I know this to be the case, as I put up a new listing months ago and the 'Hall of Shame' warnings and 'failure to perform' notices did not stop until I had met their baseline requirements (e.g., 5 reviews, etc). 

Hope this helps and welcome to the wonderful world of Airbnb!!!

@Rebecca181 The Stockholm Syndrome is the one where hostages fall in love with the kidnappers right? So i guess what Airbnb is doing by using such aggressive ads is to make sure that all hosts submits to their rules and no matter what they say we should only accept and never say no.

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Rebecca181  When my cottage goes live the end of the month I am expecting this also.  

@Letti0 Yep, get ready for it. I found it terribly annoying; nearly delisted this most recent one because of it. I just love being the top producing Airbnb host in my highly competitive vacation rental area, only to be subjected to these pathetical juvenile manipulative tactics - getting boring (yawn). 

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Lori241

Yes, it's what @Rebecca181 said. You actually don't have a negative star, it's just a dash indicating no stars yet because you haven't been reviewed. It happens to all new listings.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

While "warnings" are a pain, @Lori241  it is a good idea to do what you have to do to get early reviews and take advantage of the new host boost in the search.  I kept my rate lower than my competition until I had several reviews under my belt then began to increase it incrementally.

received a one star rating from my last guest. He requested to book for 1 . then he said "we". so i asked him about the we,as his request stated for 1? ( he booked at 657 pm, for same night of arrival.) he said he was being dropped off. then later he asked if his mom was too tired could she stay and could she have her won bed?! you would have to read the message exchange to see he clearly knew from the beginning it would be for 2,and he was trying to get 2 bedrooms for the price of one. NOTHING upsets me more than someone who tries to take advantage of us. Air bnb saw exactly what he was trying to do and asked me if i wanted to cancel,which i said yes as i did not feel comfortablewith someone who was not forthright. I dont feel like air bnb supported me or made the right decision.  I didnt receive a dme of compensation, after having to rush to clean the house, get groceries and have everything ready within 3 hours! then the supervisor tried to tell me that the founders of air bnb wanted to do airbnb for free,that making money was not their intent? HUH? the book says the reson they came up with the platform was because they NEEDED to make money,and saw the need of the service.....oyyyyy

A  sly guest tried to play the 'How many guests shell game' on you, and someone at Airbnb said something utterly stupid and silly, and your point is? 😄

clearly my point was lost on you.... 😄