Negative review for guest

Negative review for guest

We are fairly new hosts.. and I've had really good guests up until a week or so ago. Its getting down to the wire to leave feedback (they have not left any for us ) but we have every reason to ..we had property damage nothing major we fixed  it ourselves.. but they left the house in shambles ....petty theft and was supposed to only have 6 guests $20 for additional..no more than 9..ended up with about 15.. they also unplugged our router so that the Wi-Fi camera wouldn't work. They were all so horrible to our neighbors .. brought pets  did not pay the pet fee and then denied it even though there was pet hair all over the house Pretty much turned our house into a frat house I would like to leave negative feedback but how informative should it be as far as their actions how they left the house in the missing stuff honestly I just want to warn future host but don't want my review deleted because it was too negative?

12 Replies 12
Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Michael--And-Christine0you won't have your review deleted unless you are defamatory or racist. Just be honest, professional and to the point. Other hosts will appreciate this no end. Wait until the last minute to review in the hopes of avoiding a retaliatory review from them.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Just not recommend the guest, @Michael And Christine.  If you want to add more information, as @Kath9 stated, stick to the facts in a neutral tone.  This is easier said than done!!

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Michael--And-Christine0, definitely give the thumbs down as @Linda108 says - this prevents them from Instant Booking with other hosts.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Michael And Christine@Kath9@Linda108

Do remember as Hosts we can also reply publically to Guests reviews - I had one guest recently that i ensured reference was made to my review of him on his profile so propective Hosts and Guests will read it as it impacted on me adversely on my Star and Review ratings

All the  best

@Michael0And Christine

I suggest to keep it short but honest and factual and absolutely a thumbs down. Based on what your wrote in your OP, how about something like this???? 

Based on my experience hosting GUEST and friends/family, I would not welcome them back. After the guests checked out, we found the house in shambles and there was minor property damage which thankfully we were able to fix ourselves. During clean up, we found evidence that there were more people than allowed per our max occupancy but the guests had unplugged our router so the Wi-Fi camera (for outdoor surveillance? at the entrance of our home?) wouldn't work. We also found pet hair all over our home but the guest insisted they did not bring any pets and refused to pay our pet fee. We also recieved complaints from our neighbors about these guests. 

Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

Hi @Michael0 And Christine, I agree that you should leave a negative review for these guests.  Keep it simple and unemotional.  Just state the facts that they exceeded the maximum occupancy and broke numerous house rules including unauthorized pets.  Give them a thumbs DOWN to warn other hosts.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry for your awful experience but can I ask why you didn't visit your property straight away when you say they had turned offer your CCTV -  you must have known they did that for a negative reason and were likely to be breaking your house rules.

I do hope you have sent them a request for the extra guests and extra cleaning fee to remove the animal hair.

Please don't leave a neutral review as others have suggested.

Be honest state that they deliberately disabled your CCTV so they could bring in three extra guests and animals  contrary to your house rules, were deeply unpleasant to your neighbours  and took items from your property with them.

Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hi @Michael And Christine 🙂

Definitely leave an honest review to warn future hosts. If you are not aware then guests won't be able to read your review of them before after they have left a review themselve. 

My apologies to all...I had no idea of the replies..I get no alerts..I did leave an honest and factual review..without leaving them time for rebuttal..

Our  being fairly new to Airbnb..we were winging everything..and honestly didn’t know anything until our cleaning service went to clean..our Neighbors  we did not know at the time..WE DO NOW! And they are awesome..more eyes on the place..

We have gotten a little more experience under our belts now..and have had nothing but fantastic guests since. No More instant booking..unless referred..

thank you all for your advice..comments..I feel better knowing it IS ok to be honest and tactful on a negative review..I would hate to see this group in anyone else’s home.

Christine and Michael 

We just had a nice, young couple as guests with two dogs. While there was minor damage to my miniblinds already, the dogs tore them up so they had to be replaced and I have to repaint the door jamb (scratches). It's not really enough to involve Airbnb Resolution. And I want to leave a nice review, but not sure... how... I can't imagine retaliatory reviews! But after reading some of these conversations... Yipes!

Matt682
Level 9
Hednesford, United Kingdom

I’m not sure you can truely have a “retaliatory review”, although I’m new so I stand to be corrected.

Host and Guest are asked to leave reviews. Once one party completes their review, the other party is told that this has happened. The review however is hidden until either both parties have completed their reviews, or 14-days have passed at which point you can longer leave a review.

The system is presumably designed this way to stop a tit-for-tat / retaliation.

Matt682
Level 9
Hednesford, United Kingdom

Hi there,

I recently had a similar experience, where a guest that was staying repeatedly and negatively impacted on other guests’ stays (I ABB three out of four rooms in my four-bed home). I had considered simply not leaving a review in order to not make things awkward, but ultimately I felt that I had an obligation to other hosts as much as I do to my guests.

I did my best to pass comment on positive interactions to provide balance and describe the negative behaviours in a factual way with a focus on impact so that it wasn’t personal, e.g. “I received complaints from other guests about personal hygiene because their stay was made unpleasant and potentially gives me negative reviews” rather than saying, “He smelled so bad you could smell him in the living room when he opened his bedroom door.”

I also tried to leave an explaination in the private feedback so they found the review constructive e.g. “It’s important to hosts that you reply to messages so they know you have received and understood the contents”. And so on.

not sure if I could have done anything else?