Negative review help

Negative review help

Hello my name is Marina I am a host in California. I had someone book my home not for themselves but for their employees. Which I did not know about until they already arrived and I was told then. The guests smoked on the property even though it is a non smoking home. I have it posted on my listing, in my house rules, and I send it as a reminder before they arrive. I need help with how honest I should be in the review. Should I say “We had some issues with the guests smoking on the property” or should I say “we had some issues” or say nothing negative because the reviews are public. This is my first review dealing with some guest where I had issues. I’m not sure what to say or how much is too negative or what is not enough. Also when it asks if I would recommend them I honestly wouldn’t. Does that affect their review a lot should I say no or just say yes. Please help! 

5 Replies 5
Kristy43
Level 5
West Moonah, Australia

@Marina723 be honest.  If you wouldnt have them back in your home, then don't recommend them.... without an honest review, future hosts have no idea what to expect.  Be clear about the positives (if any) and pehaps add something like "This guest chose to smoke on the property despite our smoking ban being clearly stated in our house rules."

Lynette57
Level 10
Gladstone, Australia

@Marina0 Other host count on each other to see honest reviews.

The guest smoked in your house and was also a third party guest (which isnt supposed to be allowed any way so you wouldnt be covered bt ABB )

FACT IS, TELL THE BLOODY TRUTH, As a good host you shouldnt have to worry about offending anyone that breaks your rules.

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Marina723, please be honest! We hosts only have each other to depend on!

First of all, the person who booked clearly went against Airbnb policy by making a third party booking: https://www.airbnb.com.au/help/article/427/can-i-book-on-behalf-of-a-friend-or-family-member. Only hosts with Airbnb for Business can have designated people at companies book on behalf of employees. Secondly, the booker clearly didn't pass on the house rules to their employees, so should take responsibility for them being broken. So, mark them down on communication, house rules and cleanliness and give them a thumbs down. This will prevent them Instant Booking with other hosts.

Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hi @Marina723 🙂

It is very important to be honest in your review in order to warn future hosts. The guest won't be able to read your review of them before after the have written one themself so no need to worry that they will write a bad review because you did. 

Best, Sandra

airbnb does not allow booking for other people the guest has to be guest! so could have just not let them in in the first place.