Neighboring host got cease & desist letter from the county

Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

Neighboring host got cease & desist letter from the county

I got a message the other night from an airbnb host in my town. She asked if I had ever gotten any letters from the town or county about my airbnb. I said no. Evidently, her bored, stay at home, retired neighbor has been sort of spying on her and figured out she was running an airbnb. The giveaway was the constant stream of different vehicles in the driveway, not rowdy guests according to her. 

The old man complained to the town or county (because he has nothing better to do I guess?) and she got a letter saying she had 10 days to stop airbnbing her place. 

Luckily, I get along great with my neighbors and have been upfront about my airbnb. One very close by neighbor says we have the best kept secret in the neighborhood! He never sees any commotion or people. I have my guests park far away from the road and next to a large enclosed trailer... esentially, blocking the view of their vehicle from all but the most prying eyes. 

I still am worried that someday I too will get THAT letter from the town. I've put so much money into my airbnb and it's slowly paying itself back. If I was not able to rent it anymore, that would be finacially devestating. 

What can be done if you get THAT letter? Fight it or just realize you can't fight city hall and be done with airbnb?

5 Replies 5
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Donald28 are airbnbs banned in your town and county

Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

I don't know and I sure am not going to call up and ask. >;-) 

Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

@Donald28 I would suggest you get someone else to call up - it is always good to know where you stand officially in these matters. You never know, it could simply be that you need to apply for a certificate and then you would be fine. Probably would have been better to have found out though before spending money on getting your property Airbnb ready though.

Salli3
Level 2
Buffalo, NY

You will . 

Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

Dear Donald-

I'd try to find out precisely what you fellow host was asked to cease and desist doing and then get in touch with as many local hosts  as possible & go to your local city council/ county board of supervisors and see what you might work out. The saturated market and problem party house image of airbnb can best be countered by local citizens getting in there and making their case- you will probably end up paying some sort of tax to your town/county (Berkeley collects $30 a stay from me) but a well negotiated fee is better than constantly worrying about being busted. There might not have been any documentation you needed when you were first starting out but airbnb is ubiquitous now and it's up to hosts to make their case to their local government- remember your vote is just as important as a busybody neighbor and you are already bringing in some $ to the community with your guests -add a little (let's hope) tax sweetener and your voices will be heard, best of luck, Sally