Nervousness when I get a review!

Nick1866
Level 4
Limerick, Ireland

Nervousness when I get a review!

Hi all,

Does anyone else feel absolutely petrified when getting the email saying a guest has written a review? The nerves that they may have written a negative review, or not scored you as highly as you'd liked? Or you're picked up on something you don't feel is fair.

I always make a quick sign of the cross before opening anything!

How do people get around this?

Nick

53 Replies 53
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Nick1866,

There have been a few conversations here in the community regarding the importance of reviews and ratings.  After some unscientific research conducted by hosts in about six countries, we discovered that guests really don't care a whole lot about star ratings in the same manner as hosts.  The top search results usually were not SuperHost listings, and 3-star rated properties still appeared high in the results (and they were the least expensive), because they are getting a lot of clicks.  These listings all had recent reviews, which is an indication that despite poor reviews people were still booking them.

Do your best on the things that you can control, and try not to stress about what you can't, someone's review.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Nick1866 

Nick, if you look for negatives you will find them, none of us are perfect, but the trick is to look for positives.

Nick, it never crosses my mind that it might be a bad review when I see that email, unless something has happened during a particular stay that made me question what I do.

I have been fortunate to have had only three 3 star reviews over the past 6 years. One of those was a difficult guest, another was a 'God botherer' who felt I should be more receptive to her brand of religion....... and the remaining one was where the guest was doing exactly what Airbnb said they should do! The review simply said...."It was fine" and they gave me a 3 star, indicating that the stay met their expectations.

I can't do anything about those, I did nothing wrong, nothing I can improve, so it's no blot on my hosting!

I have never had a 2 or a 1 but Nick, I try to not get myself in the situation where I might get one!

I don't have disputes with guests or hassle them in any way. I do get even with them if they do the wrong thing, but not through the review system.

Nick, don't look for problems, most guests are wonderful, look at your reviews, they are great....

Nick's reviews.png

And of course that great review from Katie from Brussels! You surely would have got a thrill when you read that one!

Try not to get too absorbed in the negative aspects of the review system, if you are a good host the negative side will very rarely manifest itself.

I know you are still smarting a bit from Lauran's comment about a bit of mess, but forget that and look what else she had to say....."Nicks place was great, very spacious room perfect for short stays ............. and Nick is a great guy!"

As a prospective guest I would place far more importance on the positives that Lauran offered, not just the one negative.

Nick, be a glass half full person, not a glass half empty one!

Cheers.........Rob

@Robin4   I remember reading one very positive review that must have been struck by Autocorrect:  referring to the hosts, it said they were "the most lovely hostages."

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Anonymous 

Andrew, don't talk to me about Autocorrect!!!!

I had a nice guest here back in 2017, his name was Cooper, but all those that knew him called him Coop for short.....I guess a bit like some of your friends would call you Andy!

Coop was a good guest but, he was a pain in the a*se because the simplest of appliances seem to have him puzzled as to their operation.

Andrew it was not enough to cane him in the review, he was a seriously nice guy, so in my review I mentioned him by name a few times like......"It was our pleasure to have Coop stay here in our cottage"! To my eternal damnation I did not check the review spelling before I posted, and when I read the published review back it read ...."It was our pleasure to have Poop stay here in our cottage and I hope Poop enjoyed his stay as much as we enjoyed having him"! 

I felt like a full on di*khead, but fortunately CS after splitting their sides with laughter saw that this oversight could have been seen as offensive and they actually changed the review to delete any reference to .....Poop!

Cheers........Rob

@Robin4   Hilarious!   I guess that's what it takes to get a review changed.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Anonymous 

Yes don't let any CX tell you it is not possible to have a review changed, I am the living proof that it is possible. If in doubt just include a swear word or a profanity in the review and ......

'Bob's your uncle'! 

Cheers.......Rob

@Robin4   Or Boob's your uncle, if Autocarrot has its way.

🤣🤣 @Anonymous @Robin4  Thanks for the belly laughs.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Anonymous 

Well, thank God his name was not 'Denis'....that could have lead to to an international incident!

Cheers........Rob

@Robin4😄 hahaha I can't stop laughing

Angelica-Y-Jorge0
Level 10
Mazatlán, Mexico

@Nick1866 I get how you feel. We work so hard to ensure our guests have the best stay possible and the 5-star review is what makes it count. Caring about your reviews and your guests is what makes Airbnb so special and what makes hosts successful.

The day I lose that feeling is the day I need to stop hosting 🙂

Jorge
Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

Hi @Nick1866 @Angelica-Y-Jorge0,

Maybe this is helpful. 

"Negative reviews can be subjective in nature, but it shouldn’t discourage you to leave it alone. Understanding this concept will help you face these reviews and tackle them one by one.

You might be worried that it may tarnish your online reputation — after all, big brands have been lambasted online, too, and it didn’t end well for them. You may have been figuring out how to bribe Facebook into removing your negative review, but instead of being scared of the big, bad negative review, why don’t you turn the tables around and turn it into a blessing in disguise?"

Source: https://browsermedia.agency/blog/why-you-shouldnt-fear-negative-online-reviews/

Airbnb review systems? 

“bizzarre”!

“ out of your hand”! 

“ doesn't makes sense”!   

As for me > “ dead and buried”! 

Happy Hosting!Happy Hosting!

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Nick1866 I used to worry about reviews, especially when they mattered most - when I first started. Then I looked at the whole scene philosophically - I do my part the best I can and honestly it doesn't really matter any longer what any particular guest writes, especially when it is well sandwiched between two very enthusiastic ones. People pick up on the fastidious types that try to find fault or are 'small' in mentality, and tend to dismiss them subconsciously, because everyone in this world knows and has encountered these types in their own lives. 

As to publishing and reviews that is another arena and is a trickier one for it's a true minefield; as you know. Those that can't do usually get into reviewing or the 'teaching' field. 

P.S. I never encourage reviews, a few here and there to be up to date will do in my way of thinking.

Alexandra199
Level 10
Gretton, United Kingdom

Yes!!! I totally get this. It's ridiculous I know but like you Nick, I have always found feedback difficult to handle. I actually think it is because I am generally and anxious person and I worry A LOT, ABOUT EVERYTHING!! 

I have often posted on here for a bit of support from other hosts because like you, i feel like I need a hosts support group. These guys responding here have been excellent. We are all experiencing these worries its just to some people they seem so much bigger. Just as I'm writing this I just has a new review notification....stomach turned, felt clammy  etc etc.... we battle on.

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Nick1866 

The problem that You get nervous about a negative review is not the negative review per se, the problem is that You think reviews are important, especially the star rating.

• What's the benefit of a high average star rating?

Well, there isn't any. You may now say: But You need high ratings to be a Super Host. Ok, then let me ask You this question:

• What's the benefit of being a Super Host?

Well there isn't any, except You get a $100 travel voucher for one year of hard work. That's a monthly wage of $8.33, that's way below the legal minimum wage in Angola.

• What's the key to successfully renting on airbnb?

The key to success is a high placement in search results, You and other people believe that a high average rating and being a Super Host moves Your listing up in search results. Here are some quotes taken from the thread „Guests who don't believe in giving 5 Stars“:

• @Jillian115: But my rating effects my booking …...

• @Robin4: I did (an do) work hard for my Superhost, it keeps a lot of lovely people come to my door.

• @Elaine701: But with our 4.8 - 5.0 average star rating, and plenty of great reviews, we consistently show up on page 1 or 2 of any search for "Mallorca"

So as You can see, all these bulletpointstatements indicate, that high ratings and being a Super Host drives Your business. Unfortenately, all these statements are totally wrong.

• Does a high average rating move You up in search results? No.

• Does being a Super Host move You up in search results? No.

Elaine said that her listings consistently show up on page 1 or 2 of any search for „Mallorca“ because of her high average ratings. I don't know how she searches her own place, maybe not in incognito mode.

I just did a search for Mallorca (no dates, no filters) from Germany and her 2 listings do not show up on page 1 or 2, they don't show up on page 5, actually they don't show on the first 15 pages and thats 300 listings.

Who then shows on page 1 for Mallorca? Here are the results:

Listings on page 1 - Mallorca searchRating

1Cal Dimoni Suite. Natur nahe dem Meer.4,99
2Casa des Tarongers / Casita für 2 Personen4,81
3Typical Stone House In The Centre with Pool4,67
4Villa HERRERO4,62
5House with Garden for Nature-Lovers4,87
6Mallorca rural - Ca na Rafela4,74
7U Vila, Finca rústica con piscina4,95
8U Coste, Finca rústica con piscina4,68
9Mallorca winter offer-villa close to nature&beach5,00
10Penthouse studio with outstanding view4,75
11Cozy Studio with balcony4,36
12Refugium in den Bergen4,74
13Moderno estudio planta baja a 500m de la playa0,00
14CAN MIQUEL (TORD) - Fantastisches Haus0,00
15Moderne Finca Sos Fuyes mit großem Grundstück5,00
16VillaSpa, in der Nähe des Strandes mit privatem Poo4,44
17OWL BOOKING VILLA MIQUEL - LUXUS URLAUB0,00
18Ideal für Naturliebhaber.4,50
19Typische mallorquinische Finca4,91
20Lovely house in the country.4,56

Average average rating4,74

The average average rating on page 1 of the Mallorca search is 4,74*, that's not exciting, right? And why are there 4.6* - 4.5* - 4.4* and 4.3* listings on page 1?

I once did a much bigger research on the New York market. My question was:

• Who's making money in New York?

Obviously the listings with the highest number of reviews are the ones who make money, because these are the ones with the highest number of stays. So I examined the 300 listings on the first 15 searchpages in New York that have more than 100 reviews. The result was, that the 90 most successful listings in New York have an average rating of 4,74*, same result as for Mallorca.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Host-Circle/Let-s-talk-about-search/m-p/1380698/highlight/true#M...

I've done similar researches several times and published them mostly on the German CC. You know what kind of reaction I get from my fellow hosts?

• Well, Ute, I think You are right and You have all the prove and evidence, but maybe it's still better to be a Super Host, because who knows? You never know.

😊😃😂

That's the same position some atheists take. They don't believe in god, but they go to church once a year, mostly around christmas time

• Well, I think there is no god because there is no evidence that god even exists, but maybe it's better I go to church once a year. Because who knows? You never know.

4 million airbnb hosts minus one (that's me) believe, that You need a high average rating and that You need to be a Super Host to successfully rent on airbnb, but that is not true. The fact that a vast majority of people believe that something is true isn't a proof that it is actually true.

Let's take a look back in history: In the 16th century the world believed that the earth is the center of the universe and all the stars would circle around the earth. There was only one guy who thought about this differently. That was Gelileo Galilei. He said that the earth is circling around the sun and he was right. I'm in the same position today as Galileo was 600 years ago.

Airbnb successfully managed to implement a cult into 4 million host brains: 5* reviews are important, you need high average ratings and you have to be a SH. And You can't get that back out of their brains, no matter how much evidence you provide.

Who invented that cult? That was Douglas Atkin. He worked for airbnb for a few years and installed the Superhost feature. He also wrote a book:

• The culting of brands

https://www.amazon.com/-/de/dp/1591840961/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&crid...

From the Amazon description of said book:

• Contrary to stereotypes, most cult members aren’t emotionally unstable—they’re just normal folks searching for a sense of belonging.

Read the book. Douglas Atkin explains in detail what You have to do, to get 4 million hosts to worship a badge. And watch the language in this book, You may have come across that language  already some where else.

This is a copy of the first page of that book:

2021-04-24 Cults Worship.jpg

After 6 years of hard promotional work airbnb has established a 5*/Superhost cult that has become undestroyable. No matter how much evidence You provide, You can't kill that cult. So as I know that everything I write is completely in vain, why am I still writing it? Well, I just wrote this for Your entertainement. I've been perfectly entertained by some posts on this forum, especially by the „puddles in Seattle“ tread. So I just wanted to give something back that I have received on here.

---------------

Here's my advice to You Nick as You started this thread: If You are nervous about every review that comes in, quit hosting. If You live in an ongoing fear and anxiety about reviews, You make Yourself a servant to Your guests and a slave to airbnb.

That's not a life worth living.

cc: @Anonymous @Sarah977 @Emilia42 @Ann72 @Debra300 @Colleen253 @James2566 @Fred13 @Laura2596 @Aurielle-and-Dave0