Netflix in your listing? If so how do you handle people using it?

Geoff22
Level 10
Bellevue, WA

Netflix in your listing? If so how do you handle people using it?

do you offer access to Netflix in your listing?    If so  do you use your own account? Pay for another account?  Make them sign in with THEIR account?  I have a Netflix account myself and a ROKU I can hook up --   I just today got my first inquiry about Netflix in the unit.   I'm wondering how others do it.

23 Replies 23
Susan598
Level 6
Urrbrae, Australia

Hi @Geoff0

I have an additional device account, one for guests. If a guest doesn't have their own account, they can request me to set up access to ours as a guest viewer. Although after 2 years and many bookings, I have had only 2 requests for me to set them up. Most have their own account these days.

Sue.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

We have a guest account for Netflix and Hulu and an old iPhone with nothing else on it signed in for guests to cast to the tv, via google chrome-cast. Old fashioned but does the job at low cost. (We have no tv service.)

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

We have a cheap dumb-TV, so to smarten things up we plugged a Google chromecast into it. We leave instructions for people to turn on chromecast (with pictures) and stream from their own phone, using their own Netflix account. We haven’t had any questions or issues with it, and have heard lots of people streaming movies... so far so good.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

I give guests access to Netflix on my account (it’s already logged in.) I "upgraded" so it can be watched on four screens at a time for a few extra dollars each month. There was nothing more frustrating when you go to log into Netflix after a long day and 2 guests are already watching!

Hi Emilia, I'll just be starting to offer Netflix for my guest this coming month and thinking of the same set-up as yours (guest will have access to my account, but with a different user profile). I'd like to ask if you had any instances where your guests have messed with the other profiles on your Netflix account. If yes, what did you do? Or if not, what have you done to prevent this. 

Thanks 

@Jose-Feliciano0, just this week I noticed the Grinch was watched on my specific Netflix profile and there were two young children staying in one of my Airbnbs at that time. It doesn't bother me and doesn't happen often. No one has ever messed with my settings or anything like that. I would say it is more frustrating when they log out of my account and into their own. I have to check every time I am turning over the space for a new guest that Netflix is correctly logged into the right account. I would never give my password to a guest so if they get logged out it would require me going over to the apartment to log them back in (luckily, no one has asked me to do that.) 

Hi Jose, So I'm a little behind on this thread & I've been looking into all this stuff with Netflix & if you offer up your own account could the guest potentially mess with the other accounts on it. Anyway, their is a way you can lock your other profiles so they would only have access to the one you want them to have..

Barry-and-Lera0
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

@Geoff22: For any kind of "subscription TV" we ask that guests use thier own accounts.

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Geoff22 

I have a "guest profile" for Netflix/Hulu/Amazon but it is still my account. The account requires a password to be modified in any way, including ordering movies that are not included in the subscription so there's no way guests could change or charge anything.

I've never had any issues.

No issues, meaning, you have had no instances where your guests used or messed with the other profiles of your account?

Did you have reminders or rules in place to prevent this?

@Jose-Feliciano0 I host two Airbnb properties, and I offer Netflix and Amazon Prime at both. I've been doing it for over 2 years with no issues. I have no reminders or rules set.

The only issue I had once was someone signed in on their own account, then messaged me claiming that someone was watching stuff on their account after they checked out. We didn't have any guests during the time they claimed this was happening and we had logged them out anyways, so I think they had left their account logged in elsewhere. 

I buy only Vizio TVs, which have Netflix, Prime and YouTube set up on them: there are buttons for those specific services on the remote. It makes it super easy for guests and it seems to work well.

@Alexandra316  Hi- so on the Vizio TV's- does the guest need to have their own account to sign into Netflix and Prime or do you purchase separate accounts for those TV's?

@Kelly1126 I have the Netflix account that allows for streaming on 4 devices at once. I just leave the account signed in. Same with Amazon: I'm actually not sure how many people can log in at once, but there has never been a conflict, maybe because Amazon Prime is pretty poor in Canada and there isn't much to watch. Some people choose to use their own account, but I do provide mine also so they can use it if they want.

Heather133
Level 10
Stowe, VT

We have Smart TVs and/or Roku's so that guests can access their own accounts. We remind them to sign out when they leave. We've also been using YouTubeTV instead of cable TV in some properties. So far, so good. The savings are great. Good luck with whatever you decide!