New AirbnB guests

Sharon764
Level 2
Dublin, Ireland

New AirbnB guests

I've only been hosting for four months but am having a bit of an issue with guests who are new to AirbnB.

They don't read the listing, they think they can arrive whenever they want and they don't seem to understand how AirbnB works.

My sister is a superhost and she won't accept guests who are new to Airbnb as she has had numerous problems with them.

As I'm new and trying to establish my listing I don't want to turn away these bookings and I also believe everyone has to start somewhere but I'm starting to come round to her way of thinking.

Just this week I've had people turning up three hours early, wanting to know what time breakfast is served (I don't serve breakfast), another wanting to arrive three hours early and demanded that unless I let him he would cancel, and another again, telling me (not asking if its ok) what time she's arriving (again before check in time).

I also had a guest a couple of weeks ago arrive at 11pm at night without any apology whatsover.

The check in time seems to be irrelevant as far as I can see!  As its my home I can't do the lockbox and I like to be there to meet people.

I usually email guests a couple of days before they arrive to confirm that I will be there at the check in time but it seems that only the guests that have used Airbnb before actually respect this.

Anyone else have experience of this?

Thanks

Sharon

19 Replies 19

Thanks Christine

That's really interesting!

I suppose like everything its a learning curve and I will get better as time goes on.

I think because I'm new to it I'm trying to make sure all reviews are excellent but maybe I should relax a bit and be a bit firmer!

Thanks again

Sharon

Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

@Sharon764   As hosts, we need to take the guest by the hand and walk them through the door to our home.  Before accepting a booking, I always send a message to the guest and remind them of our house rules of no smoking, no pets, no parties and occupancy is limited to 6 persons, no additional guests or visitors.  I explain that we meet all guests in person at check in and ask for an arrival time so we can plan our day accordingly.  All this is mentioned in our listing. Then I ask if they have any questions.  Since our listing is an entire house with a huge kitchen, I let them know a grocery store is a 3 minute drive from the house.  I have the house rules printed out and posted on the fridge.  At check in, I review the house rules with the guest and then point out the WiFi code and emergency contact information at the bottom of the print out.  I also remind them we live right next door so we are alway available should they have any problems.

Thanks Linda and Richard

That's all very informative and useful.

I'll take all that on board.

Thanks for replying

Sharon

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Sharon764   So far your reviews reflect that your guests are very happy with their experience with you. I think it is important for a host to enjoy the guests and the role of being a host, or you will burn out and it will not be worth it, expecially if you live in the space as well.  If the most annoying guests are new to Air BNB, take extra time in your message acknowledging the booking to address being new to Air BNB and ask for them to confirm specific elements of your listing, space and rules.  I usually add, "I am committed to your enjoying your experience in my home and I find that the closer your expectations and mine are aligned, the better it will be."  Then I list specific elements I want to highlight. I also establish the check in time with the guest and 90% of the time the guest is able to arrive at that time.  

Thanks Linda

That's really helpful.

I'll definitely spend more time communicating with them in more detail before they arrive from now on.

Sharon