New Airbnb Commercial

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

New Airbnb Commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swC5HX1HmLw

Okay, where to begin?

Yes its cute. The creatures are cute. But....

1) did the ad agency research the antipathy that many hosts have to pets lol? Come on! That's a lot of hair to clean!

2) does anyone feel a little irritated that they may be compared to Bigfoot (or Cousin Itt) if they stay as a guest?

3) would this make you host? It wouldn't make me want to.

4) is the message "hosts view people as monsters?" Seems so. 

Let's focus group this-- I don't know if it has been. What are your impressions?

102 Replies 102

I can handle head hair.  It’s pubic hairs that are everywhere and multiple while cleaning that disgust me ….

@Sandra126 I spit out my drink reading your post....

Airbnb ad execs would do well to consult hosts prior to launching expensive campaigns. Perhaps we could educate them on the various diverse groups who may respond to their call for hosts. I'm sure that with a few of my former guests, this ad touting furry inclusion would definitely make them feel heard. And perhaps give them the bravery to launch a furry themed listing of their own. But you would definitely want to understand what that was all about before booking. 

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

It would be nice to be consulted but unlikely, @Laura2592 . Let's hope the world at large are less knowledgeable than us unfortunates.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Guest booked for one, and brought 2 undisclosed pets, because Airbnb booking form tells them they only have to let the host know if they're bringing more than 2. 🙂

@Sarah977 I'm waiting for the commercial aimed at hosting pets where the guests bring a dog sled.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

so guests arrive to the dark cabin in the woods, in the middle of the night... no lights anywhere, there is no host on the sight... it starts like a scary, horror movie 😄

I am sure the review would be: Hard to find, no exact address, dangerous location, dark entrance etc...  😄

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I found the ad a bit too 'cute'.

I would love to see Airbnb do an ad campaign like Seimens did some years ago - fast moving vignettes of the variety of products they made at the time. In Airbnb's case, show in the first run from the smallest to the largest or the simplest to the most unusual or from the cheapest to the most expensive. An informative approach vs. one trying to evoke some kind of a warm & fuzzy emotion which is tricky to do.

Actually we were recently asked to send High-Resolution pictures of our place with them since we are going to be included in some new ad campaign, no idea what it will be. 

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

The shorter version was on TV. Not as long dark creepy into, but the entire thing is creepy with theses creatures, at one point running around with sheer over its head. It will turn off potential host as they don’t want strange creatures in their house or party animals. Guest will also see this as do whatever you want at an Airbnb, party animal, and when you leave you are normal again. No locks on the door would also be alarming like these creatures broke in at night. The only part I didn’t like was the running around with sheets over their head, as host have to pay full cost of replacements and I’m sure everything about this commercial would make prospective host say nope to the nana! First time guest are already very apprehensive and showing creatures entering unlocked house at night is just weird. 

Oh please.  I love this commercial with the song.  It’s a simple message.  The couple with the little girl leaving clarifies their message.  People aren’t so strange after all.  

I don’t understand all the negative comments…. I’ve hosted for about 4 years with 1 rental allowing pets and now we have 4 total.   I see the message they are trying to get across.  It’s not about furries, hairy people or creepy setting…

I am so surprised by all the negativity with you host.   Shaking my head.   

@Miriam619 

"I am so surprised by all the negativity with you host.   Shaking my head."

I did happen to see this commercial again during the NFL playoffs. It has been cut back and no longer has them checking in at dark. They completely got rid of that. Why? Because guest don't want to arrive at a dark place with no lights. 

ABB obviously edited the original version based on some of the feedback. 

You will need to do more than troll other super host to maintain your listings. 

BTW.. I've sense gone up in my nightly rates to help cover the additional damage to sheets and towels. I guess its too much to ask for the ads not to show guest abusing sheets? I'd say more but some people, especially trolls, need to learn some things the hard way.  

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Laura2592 

I am not in the mood to analyse the commercial ! 🙂
However, the only thing I have to say is that, when saw I a hairy creature in the house, it sprang to my mind Chewbacca, the friend of Hans Solo, Star Wars ! 🙂

I agree it’s a simple message and the negative comments have me shaking my head.  I love the commercial

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

I'm not convinced that this ad would appeal to hosts offering the chic properties Airbnb likes to lay claim to. 

I suspect it may appeal more to those with an empty room or apartment seeking easy money. 

@Elaine701  I have a hard time imagining it appealing to almost anyone. 🙂

I didn't see any credits listed at the beginning or end watching it with the  link posted here. Was this produced by the same clueless company who did the one with the kid jumping on the bed?